Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy needs advice (you probably get that a lot)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Turns out that hatsdirect.com is out of the moonstone Stylemaster in my size. Apparently they expect to have more at the end of December. I may just wait, but in the meantime the Akubra Fedora in burnt oak has kind of caught my eye, even though I've been focusing on grey. I don't recall seeing any other Akubras in that color; it's really nice-looking on the website and in the pictures I've seen here.

Looks alot like the Regency Fawn of the Sydney that DM has. Akubra seems to have names for colors on their site which the different retailers have differnt names for I've found. Does HD have it in stock in your size? Would be great if you did not have to do the "OZ wait" when you order your hat :)

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Looks alot like the Regency Fawn of the Sydney that DM has. Akubra seems to have names for colors on their site which the different retailers have differnt names for I've found. Does HD have it in stock in your size? Would be great if you did not have to do the "OZ wait" when you order your hat :)

I thought the burnt oak looked a little darker than the regency fawn.

I haven't checked my size in the Fedora with HD yet. I'm still leaning toward waiting for the moonstone Stylemaster.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
For my first "real" hat I went to a brick and mortar shop. I mean a hat shop, not a building supply shop. You can try on several sizes, styles and colors. I would like a hat from OZ but not for a first. My big head doesn't fit many styles.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
For my first "real" hat I went to a brick and mortar shop. I mean a hat shop, not a building supply shop. You can try on several sizes, styles and colors. I would like a hat from OZ but not for a first. My big head doesn't fit many styles.

Unless you absolutely need to order your Akubra from OZ, David Morgan, the US importer carries most of the styles in sizes up to 7 7/8 and has several models up to a US size 8. Take a look :)

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I have to apologize, because after soliciting your advice I failed to let you know what I decided on. I actually went with something different than we had been discussing, a Selentino Hudson in "steel" from JJ Hat Center. I tried to post a picture, but it didn't work.

Thanks again for all the advice, which I do appreciate.

TomS

One Too Many
I really like the Open Road style hat. I think it goes well with just about any attire.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Obsessed, congrats on deciding on a hat.

You stated earlier in the thread that you were leery of going with an open crown hat. When you're ready for another hat, don't let that stop you, as J.J. will happily crease a hat to your liking, no matter where you purchased it. And they don't charge you a cent (though, of course, it's always a good idea to tip).

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Found this thread I started a few years ago, and since I know you all have been anxiously awaiting an update this whole time . . .

I predict that by this time next year, you will have at least a dozen hats. :) Welcome to the club.

Didn't quite get there. :)

I actually went with something different than we had been discussing, a Selentino Hudson in "steel" from JJ Hat Center.

On the other hand, if you get a cheap hat, you'll never be satisfied with it. I've had $150 hats that were junk, too.

True. I fell out of love with the Selentino pretty quickly, and eventually got a Stylemaster in Moonstone. A much better hat, in my opinion, but it’s not doing it for me either at this point. Something about the look just seems wrong.

Maybe this was right:

I am 6'2" and 220 at the moment- I can tell you that the 2.5 inch brim on my christys looks a bit narrow.

Have you considered the Akubra campdraft? I think the Campdraft in silver belly or grey is your most versatile of options and unlisted by you.

the others you did list have smaller brims or are a bit casual for manhattan wear.

If you are going to go Akubra, think Campdraft for versatile.

I actually had pretty much ruled out the Campdraft a couple of years ago, but tonight for the first time I find myself thinking it may be a very good option. That or a Bushman. JJ Hat Center has both, but their Bushman is marked up $20 over David Morgan, and their Campdraft is so expensive that I could get a Campdraft Deluxe shipped from Hats Direct for less.

The weird thing is that while I’ve always worn a 7/38 or 59 hat, and the Styemaster in 59 seems to fit, when I measure my head now it’s closer to 60 cm. I do have a Tilley LT5B in 7 ½ that fits. (That’s a great hat, by the way.) I wonder if my size could have changed or if I have not been fitted properly up to now.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Found this thread I started a few years ago, and since I know you all have been anxiously awaiting an update this whole time . . .

Didn't quite get there. :)

True. I fell out of love with the Selentino pretty quickly, and eventually got a Stylemaster in Moonstone. A much better hat, in my opinion, but it’s not doing it for me either at this point. Something about the look just seems wrong.

Maybe this was right:

I actually had pretty much ruled out the Campdraft a couple of years ago, but tonight for the first time I find myself thinking it may be a very good option. That or a Bushman. JJ Hat Center has both, but their Bushman is marked up $20 over David Morgan, and their Campdraft is so expensive that I could get a Campdraft Deluxe shipped from Hats Direct for less.

The weird thing is that while I’ve always worn a 7/38 or 59 hat, and the Styemaster in 59 seems to fit, when I measure my head now it’s closer to 60 cm. I do have a Tilley LT5B in 7 ½ that fits. (That’s a great hat, by the way.) I wonder if my size could have changed or if I have not been fitted properly up to now.

You could get a really nice Camp Draft from Sam at Everything Australian for abt $87 and $21 shipping to the States. He personally picked out 2 very nice ones for me and sent good pics of the actual hat I would b getting before hand for approval. The Imperial Grade is really quite nice and the napp softens up quickly with a few wearings and some steam.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
You could get a really nice Camp Draft from Sam at Everything Australian for abt $87 and $21 shipping to the States. He personally picked out 2 very nice ones for me and sent good pics of the actual hat I would b getting before hand for approval. The Imperial Grade is really quite nice and the napp softens up quickly with a few wearings and some steam.

I had looked there, since they have great prices and a great reputation here. Seems that all they have is Bluegrass Green and the other colors are a 3 month wait. Maybe I'll email them and see if they are getting any more stock.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I had looked there, since they have great prices and a great reputation here. Seems that all they have is Bluegrass Green and the other colors are a 3 month wait.

Send Sam an email. Sometimes if u hit it right you may only have to wait 2 to 4 wks. My first Akubra was a Camp Draft Silverbelly. Waited 3 months and it was so worth it. Wore it for 2 weeks and absolutely had to have the Bluegrass Green. Its a lovely color and works with pretty much everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL