Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New hat opinions

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I am sure this has already been hashed out somewhere ... but if it doesn't hurt anyone to reiterate their opinions ...

The ongoing theme here on the Lounge would lead me to believe that any hat in current production is of poor quality. Is this a fair assessment or is everyone over-generalizing?

For example, a new Bailey 50/50 Fedora from a vendor that adverts here (Aaron) is $100. Is it the opinion of the lounge that this hat isn't worth $100? Or is it simply that the same $100 could potentially buy something of better quality if you can find vintage?

I'm not trying to stir trouble for those that sell new hats, I just honestly don't know [huh]
I've been looking at a new Akubra or one of those Bailey 50/50's because they are inexpensive relative to some new hats (and even compared to some vintage I see go on eBay). Just doing my research and humbly deferring to some experts ...

RBH

Bartender
First off, great question HamletJSD.
I think that most of the time vintage cant be beat, that said even back in the 30's some fedoras were cheap and were made cheap. Of course most of the cheap ones would not still be around.
Most of the modern production hats being made today do not have the care of production of a bespoke hat or of most of the vintage made hats of yester-year.
I cannot speak to Bailey except for a western style hat I bought a few years ago, it was a fine hat for what it was.
Akubra makes a great hat, I own a Camp Draft that to me speaks of the vintage hats of long ago. By that I mean the brim and crown does not have the taper that most current made hats do. It also has held up in all kinds of weather and wearing.
The main thing is what style, type and price range you are looking for, after owning a few Baileys or Akubras you may then be ready for a custom that will cost more but will have that hands on aspect that is hard to find nowdays.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
R U A Hog Head??

I'm a 7 5/8's and vintage is seldom a choice. There are good new hats still being made(Biltmore Rosselini). It is, as always, a matter of price, avalibility and looks.
If you like it and feel the price is OK, then it is a GREAT HAT.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I and a lot of other folks here are Akubra fans. Their rabbit fur felt is considered by many to be the best quality rabbit fur available (though many also consider it a bit "rough" looking!). I am told this is because they use wild rabbit fur. Australia has no shortage of wild rabbits! Other felters use domestic rabbit fur, which is considered to often be of inferior quality to wild rabbit fur. Again, so I'm told. Akubra hats are relatively stiff, which is perfectly fine with me (I don't like floppy hats!), but probably most folks here like real soft felt. Without having someone like Art Fawcett or Jimmy Pierce or Peters Brothers, etc. make you a hat (which often isn't really all that terribly expensive), I personally think that Akubra is a good way to go. Good quality felt, good block shapes.

I'm not terribly familiar with too many other modern production hats, so can't comment on them other than one or two. I also have absolutely no experience with vintage hats. They don't exactly grow on trees around here, and I don't do Ebay so....

akaBruno

Suspended
Naw... I've heard that they're selling so many hats that they have to import rabbit pelts.

OK, who's lyin here? :D

I want a kangaroo hat, damnit.

BRUNO

Edward

Bartender
Can anyone recommedn a US or Aus (or wherever!) based Akubra supplier that ships internationally? I've looked at them in the UK, but anywhere I can find 'em here they're into the USD150-200 price bracket, which is a bit more than I would have to spend on a hat.... thinknig of going to an international seller if the shipping / customs charges don't negate the saving.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I try to avoid purchasing modern make hats. I find that overall, they never satisfy me.

My only exception would be Akubra - or a custom work such as JPD or Adventurebilt.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Let's see, where to start...

HamletJSD said:
I am sure this has already been hashed out somewhere ... but if it doesn't hurt anyone to reiterate their opinions ...

The ongoing theme here on the Lounge would lead me to believe that any hat in current production is of poor quality. Is this a fair assessment or is everyone over-generalizing?

For example, a new Bailey 50/50 Fedora from a vendor that adverts here (Aaron) is $100. Is it the opinion of the lounge that this hat isn't worth $100? Or is it simply that the same $100 could potentially buy something of better quality if you can find vintage?

I'm not trying to stir trouble for those that sell new hats, I just honestly don't know [huh]
I've been looking at a new Akubra or one of those Bailey 50/50's because they are inexpensive relative to some new hats (and even compared to some vintage I see go on eBay). Just doing my research and humbly deferring to some experts ...

this is probably one of the best questions I've seen asked -- and may be one of the hardest to answer properly! Lulu posed the question to her chief hat-wearer and this is the response she received: The short version is that "you get what you pay for". The longer version is "a $100 hat, or even a $20 hat for that matter, isn't necessarily of poor quality -- it just won't have the same quality or fit as a custom made or bespoke hat. On the other hand, it isn't intended to. Another thing that seems to set them apart is the effort made by most custom hatters to bring a lot more vintage style to the offering."

The chief hat-wearer has bought several hats in the $100 price range and only just recently purchased an Art Fawcett custom. In his mind, there is no comparison in quality, fit and style -- but, rest assured, the $100 numbers are the only ones that will ever go out in the rain!

;)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
luvthatlulu said:
The short version is that "you get what you pay for". The longer version is "a $100 hat, or even a $20 hat for that matter, isn't necessarily of poor quality -- it just won't have the same quality or fit as a custom made or bespoke hat. On the other hand, it isn't intended to.
;)

This is about how I felt, too, so I am glad to hear someone else say it. To me, just starting to collect, even $100 to $150 seems a lot to spend on a hat, but not beyond reason. I've spent a lot more on more frivolous things (PS3 springs to mind).

You have to start somewhere ... and most of us aren't going to "start" at $300 and up ... so I may give a $100 hat a whirl sometime soon.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, like I've said before I really like the Camptown Hat offerings. It's a wonderful felt that is a 50/50 beaver/rabbit blend. The only downturn is that Ken only offers two models currently. The 1936 Field Master and the 1945 Metropolitan. The felt finish is nice and soft to the touch and there is plenty of snap to the brim. It is not an overly stiff hat but easily shapes & holds it shape. He can either ship them to you with an open crown or shape them for you, your choice. He is rather easy to deal with and his turn around is rather reasonable. Also, I believe he is still honoring his discount to Fedora Lounge members. A top drawer operation in my humble opinion.
I have been quite please with mine thus far and am planning on purchasing his Metropolitan.

1936 Fieldmaster
img_prod_1936.jpg

1934 Metropolitan
img_prod_1945.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

JerseyJones

Vendor
DanielJones said:
Well, like I've said before I really like the Camptown Hat offerings. It's a wonderful felt that is a 50/50 beaver/rabbit blend. The only downturn is that Ken only offers two models currently. The 1936 Field Master and the 1945 Metropolitan. The felt finish is nice and soft to the touch and there is plenty of snap to the brim. It is not an overly stiff hat but easily shapes & holds it shape. He can either ship them to you with an open crown or shape them for you, your choice. He is rather easy to deal with and his turn around is rather reasonable. Also, I believe he is still honoring his discount to Fedora Lounge members. A top drawer operation in my humble opinion.
I have been quite please with mine thus far and am planning on purchasing his Metropolitan.

1936 Fieldmaster
img_prod_1936.jpg

1934 Metropolitan
img_prod_1945.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks again Dan.

As to the discount I will honor the $145.00 price for the Metro or the Fieldmaster for any Lounge member. Please contact me for further info !

Cheers !

Ken

Nic Charles

Familiar Face
Hats

Great comments and leads on hats here. I have to agree that quality makes all the difference in the world, and there are some good quality new-made hats now.

I became quite discouraged whenever I would stop at the hat store in Madison, Wisconsin and see their selection of Wool felt hats with $100.00 price tags. That is not to say that poor quality wool felt hats were not made in the Golden Era (I've seen a few survivors in antique shops), they certainly were, but they don't have a high survival rate. You'll be lucky to get one year out of a wool felt hat if you wear it often. A beaver/rabbit fur felt hat is the best way to go if you want a hat that will not only look good, but last a long time.

Nice looking hats there Ken. I may have to take you up on that deal.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
JerseyJones said:
Thanks again Dan.

As to the discount I will honor the $145.00 price for the Metro or the Fieldmaster for any Lounge member. Please contact me for further info !

Cheers !

Ken

Hey, no problem Ken!

Nick: I've taken mine hiking in Yosemite, trekking through the city in sun, rain & snow. It has weathered the elements perfectly.
Lets hear from the other Camptown owners out there. I know there are a few others on the Lounge here that own one of Kens hats.

Cheers!

Dan

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy