Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Hat - Resistol Dress new old stock

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yesterday I got a new hat from Art Fawcett's shop. It is a beautiful NEW OLD STOCK 1950's Resistol Self - Conforming fedora. It is a medium dark blue grey with an 1 3/4 dark blue ribbon trim with wind catcher button. The bound edge is lighter color that the crown ribbon, and is 1/4 inch on the top and 1/2 inch on the bottom. Hence the hat has a double stitch visible on the top of the brim. The crown is 4 7/8 in height at the dip in the front pinch. This hat came "open crown" but Art blocked it in the teardrop fedora style that I love.

This is a medium weight hat, with beatuiful quality felt. The liner is clean, and has the plastic protector. The sweatband is unique, a rich brown, and is a generous 1 3/4 in width. It is stamped : "self conforming meloroll" and "Pelzner's , 80 6th Street, San Francisco".

The "self conforming" is the term applied to the sweatband that regardless of your oval, long wide or extra long, the hat wil automatically self shape to your head.

Since this is a "new" hat, I have worn it for a day, and guess what...it's true!

The hat has the original tag $10.95. I offered that amount to Art, but he gave me a dirty look;)

The hat also came with the original instructions on how to care for your hat, an neat fold out with detailed "owners manual" for the hat.

I love this ....Art has another in 7 3/8 that is a dove gray. I didn't buy both , just the one.

f80b9e01.jpg

f80b9dfe.jpg

f80b9df7.jpg

Fedora

Vendor
Real nice hat Andykev. I got a Resistol from fedoralover awhile back and I was impressed with the felt and overall appearance of the hat. They were noted for the staple hats, but also made high quality dress hats too. Well, before they sold their name like Stetson. If I recall correctly, the name Resistol indicated that they resisted stains and rain. regards, Fedora

Zane

Suspended
Wow that is really some find to get a brand new old hat. I knew guess I still know him. A guy in NYC that has an entire store full of old vintage hats that are all brand new never been worn. They were mostly small sizes and some really older styles. They were from 40's- 50's. I recently heard he still had all of them and would sell all or a few of them individually.

I think the current Resistol hats are sold under Dobbs brand for dress hats. I looked at their catalogue last year and it did not have any dress as I recall.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Gentlemen, It's GOOD to find dead stock!!
Zane, I was in contact with your friend many years ago and had to turn down his products because they were all 6 3/4- 7 1/8. He has had this story going for quite a while. I WAS contacted by someone in NY, but never saw the products, just a list of prices & sizes & and said no no.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
RF, like most hat makers the brand went severely downhill in the 60s and I believe that Hat Brands are now making them but I personally would'n t buy one. The felt quality just isn't there.

havershaw

Practically Family
Can any of you still get in touch with that NY fellow? Some of us here do indeed have pea-sized noggins and would love to grab a few of his hats. You can pm me with contact info if you've got it. I don't have too many NOS, but boy, are they great.

Off-topic of hats, but on-topic with NOS stuff, I got 4 NOS 30s-40s dress shirts, still on the cardboard, complete with tags and pins. They looked kind of crummy with all of the shelf wear until I washed 'em with some bleach...and let me tell you, I have yet to wear a dress shirt that compares to these. Beside the unalterably cool fact that two of them have rounded collars, they are just of a construction and -especially- fit that I have never seen in a modern dress shirt.

I can't go back to modern dress shirts now. these are so great. Gotta find more...

Originally posted by Renderking Fisk
Thanks Art... By the way, do you reblock hats, too?

Does he reblock hats? Boy, let me tell you he works miracles with reblocking. My Borsalino with the silly center dent looked like a completely different hat after Art got done with it. I wish I had a digital camera to give you the example but then I would have to get into the double-breasted suit and Johnston's to give it a good context. ;)
You just have not seen craftsmanship until you have a hat reblocked by Art. I suppose being a craftsman in another area crosses over nicely to felt. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Disclamier: I am not a paid endorser. (but I might be willing to take a bribe. )LOL LOL

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just got my Resistol today from Art. I love it. It is great having a new hat that is old.....I mean an old hat that is new.....well....you know what I mean.

This is my third hat from Art. He is a pleasure to do business with. He costs more than ebay.....sometimes.......but he is worth it....at least to me. I know I will have a winner everytime.

I will try and post some pics of my latest acquisitions tomorrow.

Thanks Art!

Another fine Work of Art? I am not at all surprised. ;)
How is the Resistol by the way? Say, in comparison to your other felts. I have only seen a few and only in pictures so I have not had a chance to feel the felt and check out the hat. They are an upscale hat so I expect them to be nice hats. Just curious.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic