Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Highwayman too short. Help me correct this.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I agree. I think you need an extra 2-2.5in on the body and an extra .5-1in on the arms. Other than that it seems fine. The HYWM is meant to be a short cut but that is too short.

Sir J

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The jackets are a little differently made thats all.
This plus the stiffness is enough reason that its too short.

Im starting to wonder if this hide is really usable.
This jacket will survive a nuclear blast.
I cant even put my sunglasses in the pocket because
the jacket will crush them.

I wonder if they have this exact color in horse.
And also, is there a thickness inbetween?
Or is it just the 2 - this saddle leather-like thickness
and the midweight thats like a sweater?

tonypaj

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
I've always felt that for sports jackets like this one, Aero uses hides that are too bulky. Their horsehide is ridiculous for this type of jacket, and so apparently is the steerhide if this thread is anything to go by!

bk

It's bulky, sure, but anyone reading this board, especially the outerwear section, must surely know that the hides are heavy and damn stiff at the beginning. If they do not believe this, there is a slight problem with comprehension...

Anyway, the stiffness changes, the heaviness does not. And personally, I do not find the horsehide ridiculous at all, it has its characteristics which are possibly more useful to some than others.

The main positive thing in this thread is that Aero seem to have produced exactly what was requested. The second positive thing is that Aero will probably make sure that the jacket is fine. And the main lesson for me personally is that when ordering on the web I'm better off trusting Amanda than trying to be the tailor myself. Obviously the best option is to have Aero do the measurements, what better proof is there than Gancho's jacket posted earlier...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Standard size 38 Highwayman is 24-24.5"
Mine is 23"

Looking at this picture, I need another 3"
The paper is exactly 3" and the mark is 2"

measure1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Jings, I'm livin' in fear for my Bootlegger arriving now.... it'll be here this week, but with the odd story like this I've managed to convince myself that I got it all wrong.... :rolleyes: I think I remember Amanda asking me for my height, which probably is part of a calculation on length. Seems to me that most of your issues here are to do with the hide not being broken in yet.... Me, I love a jacket that can stand up by itself til it's well broken in, but then my formative experiences were all with bike leathers (so many folks using 'em for that purpose is probably why Aero go for heavy hides). Interesting to see this one, I'd have thought that was horse it's so sturdy. Good indication maybe that there's less difference between horse and cow hide than is often popularly believed round these parts? I know I'm tempted to have Aero do me a steerhide jacket at some point when I can afford it, just for something different.

Length.... the sleeves don't look off to me, though if you plan to use this on a bike they might be on the short side (I know many bikers favour a longer sleeve). Most importantly, do they feel off?

The body.... Mnnn. Me, I like a jacket in this style that just skims about halfway over the buckle. Seems to me that the standard length would just do that neatly on you, going by your photos and measurements... Those jeans look well low on the waist, which will be an issue for a standard vintage cut jacket, imo.... though if that's what you typically wear, then you probably will want a lower waist. It seems to me that the key problem here has been that the jacket from which your measurements have been taken and the Highwayman are such different styles... I know I find in pretty much anything whether it's leather jackets or suits, depending on differences in cut I can end up in anything from a 40 through to a 44, or a M through to XL...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
So what should I have done? Bying something I didnt like the looks of?

When I showed the photo of my other jacket I really thought they would
make the highwayman so it hung right not just take the number and
do the jacket as long physically.

The jackets are exactly the same length in the back physically
from collar seem to end of jacket. Still they dont end up exactly
in the same place. And the front is 3" from oneanother.

I did say that its a different jacket and asked if she thought it should be longer.

On my cheyenne I asked something one time extra just to be sure
and she responded a little bit annoyed that we had already discussed it.

This time I thought I had made myself clear and that they knew what they were doing.

My Harley jacket fits good, I think everyone agrees on this. (except sleeves)
Im not a jacket maker, I just wanted my new jacket as long/short.
Now we know this is impossible.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
GriffDeLaGriff said:
I thought about measuring the body up to down too, but its a little complicated
to do and I felt it can differ alot depending on many factors so I thought
measuring another straight jacket would be safer.

QUOTE]

It's actually very easy. Just have a friend do it. You already tried using the other jacket for measurements (and failed), so use your actual measurements.

My other leather jackets are a very heavy steerhide and fit great, so I don't think that the leather is at fault here.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I've always felt that for sports jackets like this one, Aero uses hides that are too bulky. Their horsehide is ridiculous for this type of jacket, and so apparently is the steerhide if this thread is anything to go by!

bk

Hard words but absolutely true- the masses don't usually seem to get it though.
I had a heavy steer HWM and it gave me sore shoulders.
Another type of anti-garment.

B
T

tonypaj

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
So what should I have done? Bying something I didnt like the looks of?

When I showed the photo of my other jacket I really thought they would
make the highwayman so it hung right not just take the number and
do the jacket as long physically.

The jackets are exactly the same length in the back physically
from collar seem to end of jacket. Still they dont end up exactly
in the same place. And the front is 3" from oneanother.

I did say that its a different jacket and asked if she thought it should be longer.

On my cheyenne I asked something one time extra just to be sure
and she responded a little bit annoyed that we had already discussed it.

This time I thought I had made myself clear and that they knew what they were doing.

My Harley jacket fits good, I think everyone agrees on this. (except sleeves)
Im not a jacket maker, I just wanted my new jacket as long/short.
Now we know this is impossible.

"So what should I have done"... Hmmm, I deal with contract law for living and you do not want to have my opinion:)

Really, you are where you are, and now it is time to sort it out, not figure out who to blame. You should contact Aero, give them the new specs that you are sure of, and go from there. Or cancel the deal, if you feel that that is appropriate, and if it is OK with Aero.

If they do not cooperate, then you may start asking questions legitimately. At this stage I would simply deal with the problem very politely with the manufacturer and limit the damage.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I asked for my FQHH Highwayman to be a bit longer than standard and got exactly the length I'd specified. I'd still be wearing it today if I hadn't lost weight and gone down a size. It became uncomfortable because it was the wrong size, not because of the weight of the hide.

If I were to buy another, I would ask for thinner side panels, or none at all, which as others have mentioned in other threads, and in other forums, would reduce the overall bulk of 'spare' leather when the jacket's buckled at the waist. Another option would be to have the waist made to fit the circumference of your belted trousers and have the jacket tapered accordingly.

The difficulty with custom specifications is that they ALL have to be right...

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

As I think I said above, I have always assumed that the heavyweight hides Aero use for a lot of their jackets relate to the fact that a lot of folks seem to use them for bike jackets, where - particularly in the days before built-in armour etc - a heavier hide seems to make a lot of sense in the event of a spill.....

What was the norm for this sort of jacket back in the day, lighter horse (as in an A2), or goat? Makes sense to me if lighter horse (or steer) was used on a lot of stuff, bearing in mind that the Aeros etc of the world now are premium products, sold to the high-end market, whereas probably many of the surviving vintage jackets were more what regular folks could afford, using all parts of the hide, lighter included....? Course, if goat was the norm, then they'd definitely be a fair bit lighter typically.

tonypaj

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
You're welcome.
There will be another invaluable announcement for the masses shortly.
Meanwhile, go back to your menial chores...

B
T

I shall wait anxiously. Meanwhile, I shall do as instructed (well, mainly on the orders of my wife, who outranks you), there is some gardening to be done and the evening is beautiful. I will also wear a horsehide thick leather garment to protect me. My broad shoulders hardened by the menial chores can fairly easily bear the extra weight...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Its easy to see now that it went wrong.
But not so easy to understand before you actually have it in the hand.

When I thought about the armlength for my cheyenne I measured
a jacket arm that had the length I wanted. This is the only way I know of,
and told Aero what I had done and with what jacket and exactly
in what manner the measure was taken.

This time I did the same thing for the body length.

Im not saying its the leather that is to blame, Im just saying
I did like last time - measured something that fits me right.

I have a jacket that fits me, and that is my only
thing I can compare anything with, this Is why I used it.
If I would have been asked for another measure, i would have gladly given it.

Im not out to blame anyone.
I dont care about the time taken for the total process.

Im just trying to understand what went wrong since I still
use the Harley almost daily and the measure is the same as it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart