Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Highwayman too short. Help me correct this.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
You can only do so much at a distance... :)

And if any of this has got you down, remember that opinions are just like televisions... everybody's got one ;)

CP

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
What bugs me alot is that even if remade it wont be good.

If we add 3" all around then the front belt will be covered, but
the back will be too long. It will hit the back pockets just like
I was trying to avoid.

Navin323i said:
I already did... please refer to mine as well. As far as I'm concerned we're all friends here and deserve to be treated with respect by everyone including you... sadly your post didn't come across in a respectful way towards Griff. Your loss.

Griff... I hope you get things worked out, my friend. :)

Thing is...we often do open ourselves up to criticism when looking for real answers. Since many of us are so concerned..it is sometimes felt that honesty in our opinions and suggestions..may,at times,trump a candycoated less concerning approach while trying to understand and truely help the situation. It can be much easier to be overly nice and minimize a problem..real solutions..or future possible repeated troubles. It may appear disrespectful in a sense....but actually may lead to a better future outcome..for the poster...and others as well. Respectfully...shouldn't that be what it is all about...?
HD

GriffDeLaGriff said:
What bugs me alot is that even if remade it wont be good.

If we add 3" all around then the front belt will be covered, but
the back will be too long. It will hit the back pockets just like
I was trying to avoid.

I suggest going to the source. Contact "Will"....and explain to him directly.
HD

Navin323i

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
Thing is...we often do open ourselves up to criticism when looking for real answers. Since many of us are so concerned..it is sometimes felt that honesty in our opinions and suggestions..may,at times,trump a candycoated less concerning approach while trying to understand and truely help the situation. It can be much easier to be overly nice and minimize a problem..real solutions..or future possible repeated troubles. It may appear disrespectful in a sense....but actually may lead to a better future outcome..for the poster...and others as well. Respectfully...shouldn't that be what it is all about...?
HD

I have no problems with opening ourselves to criticism but there is a proper way to do so without being rude or offensive in the process. That is one extreme whereas the "candycoated nice" approach is another extreme... which I'm not favoring either. Bottom line is that the OP realizes why his jacket's sizing is off and what needs to be done... for Tony to sit there on his high pedestal and accuse the OP of not trusting Aero is absolutely ridiculous and frankly quite immature. He was so focused on pointing out his contractual duties which bear absolutely no relevance whatsoever to this thread, nor was it the reason why I called him out on his rude comments.

Again, HD I appreciate your post and I agree with you that honest criticism is a good thing... both when it's good and not good. But criticism should be constructive and his was not... it was purely accusatory in nature and disrespectful to the OP.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The jacket is going back to Aero and they will make me a new one.

This is extremely nice of them and Im sure it shows one of the reasons
why they are the best in the business.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I am supposed to send it back with exact details on how the new one should be.
So I cant start asking them for advice, this is my one shot to redo it.

So I am posting the pics once again.

Im thinking 2.5" might do it, but my other jeans is lower so I might need 3"
1.5" added in arms.
The body is alreday snug/tight fitted so Im not gonna touch that,
the back is just how the highwayman is i suppose, i didnt get
any feedback on that.
Its wearable with the straps out in the outmost position
so the bulk will be as minimal as possible.
I also didnt get anything about the collar so Ill just leave that alone.

measure1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Photoshopped with about 2.5" around and 1.5" to arms it looks good.
1_fix.jpg

2_fix.jpg

But remember this is just photoshopped and its not an exact thing.
I did only move the bottom wich is 2" but I think this is more what
it would be like with 2.5" added irl. My other pants are lower
and the ones on the pics are newly washed and they tend
to sag some after some use and daily activities so maybe 3"
will be safer.

What do you think?

I think that 3" longer in the body would better insure that your belt is covered no matter what jeans you wear...plus the longer length will better balance out the view from the back. IMO the longer sleeve length looks better especially with zip sleeves.
Have you considered FQHH rather than Aero's hvy steer? Reason I ask..is a member here from the bay area sold his beautiful new steer Bootlegger...simply becauses Aero's new hvy steer was surprisingly even stiffer than his other Aero jacket in FQHH. Seems he wore it often...and even left it out in the rain...but couldn't relieve the extreme stiffness. He was quite surprised that this steer was even more hardcore than the FQHH..and even harder to break-in.
Aero also makes a "Vintage" FQHH...a grainy more relaxed hide that drapes somewhat smoother than the regular FQHH. Since Aero is going to remake the jacket..perhaps these may be a few options you might want to consider.
I do think that this time around..you will be much more pleased..even if the Highwayman may not mimic exactly some of the features of the HD jacket.
HD

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I would change only the length of the sleeves and the body; honestly, I do think that the other issues you have are purely down to the stiffness of the new hide, which will break in. I just this morning took delivery of my Aero Bootlegger (cordovan, modified to have button cuffs as on the 30s halfbelt, two inner G1 style pockets, throat latch, zip on the breast pocket - a very common mod, but not standard; eventually, I might like another Bootlegger with out it, just for difference... I was gagging to wear it out today, but I'd have cooked in the heat, the temperatures having recently shot up over here. Ah, well - hopefully it'll get cold over the weekend!) Having handled a stiff new jacket and compared it to my other leathers, I'm pretty sure that yourds will break in just fine on that score).

BTW, Griff, what height are you (potentially shorter Lounge members who are otherwise your size might be watching Aero's sale pages in upcoming weeks. It's an ill wind.... ;) )?

Navin323i

Practically Family
I agree with HoosierDaddy... 3" should definitely suffice.

Wow... I had no idea that their steerhide was stiffer than the horsehide... I always assumed horsehide was stiffer than steerhide. I learn something new each day. ;)

Navin323i said:
I agree with HoosierDaddy... 3" should definitely suffice.

Wow... I had no idea that their steerhide was stiffer than the horsehide... I always assumed horsehide was stiffer than steerhide. I learn something new each day. ;)

I have a couple of Aero's older steerhide jackets(Halfbelts) that are not near as heavy or stiff as their FQHH. Evidentally this may be only pertaining to Aero's newer steerhides in the last couple of years.
HD

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
The jacket is going back to Aero and they will make me a new one.

This is extremely nice of them and Im sure it shows one of the reasons
why they are the best in the business.

Glad to hear it. In fact I think you made the better choice (having them make a new one vs fixing the old one). I sent back my new Veste de Rallye in February as it was out of spec by a siginificant amount. However, as I didn't want to wait another seven months for a new jacket, I asked them to modify it less than the original spec (to save time).

Well it's been nine weeks and I'm still waiting so I may as well have had them make a new jacket! lol

Here's a previous post about Aero's Steer...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
heavy steerhide Bootlegger. A beautiful jacket, but, so stiff and heavy I found it unwearable and sold it. I have an Aero FQHH Hercules that is a supple kidskin glove by comparison to the weight and stiffness of their heavy steerhide.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...ght=bootlegger

Eventually, I opted for a much lighter steerhide from Aero for a second try at a Bootlegger. I'm much happier with the new jacket, though, it too is a substantial bit of leather.

Hope this helps.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
HoosierDaddy said:
Have you considered FQHH rather than Aero's hvy steer?

First of all I want to say that I very much apreciate that you take your time
to comment on my situation. I always find your posts to be accurate
and honest and I value your information. This goes for everyone offcourse
but this is especially for you becaue I felt that I was hard to you before
for no reason so take this as an official "apology"

Again, I dont want the new jacket to look like the Harley, I just used that
jacket for measurement. It could have been any jacket that ended under the belt.

About the steerhide vs horse. I wanted horse in the beginning but my gf
really didnt want that hide in the house because of her feelings for horses
she compared it to having a jacket made from my doberman and I take what
she says serious.
I then sent for samples and when I got them I really found the steer superior
to the horse. The horse was flimsier and also very stretchy. It has alot of
give. The steerhide was thicker and seemed indestructible.
I really liked the looks of the steer and the more I thought about it the more
I liked it and the less I liked the horse. Colorwise I also prefer the reddish
brown this batch has over the more "cartoony" marbled and shiny looks
of the horsehide.
I did read about and see that jacket you mention and it just made me want it even more.

I am positive that the steer is harder to use, and that the jackets made from
this batch will become thicker and heavier then the horse.

Look at the collar here, horse versus steer:
61038323.jpg

You can cleraly see that the horse collar is thinner and much easier to fold.
It also has some creases in a way that my collar possibly cant get.
Both jackets are as far as I know pretty new and not much broken in.
My collar almost looks like a joke irl becaue its so thick and short in the neck
I wasnt at all pleased about it.

After having the jacket in the house tho...Im torn.
You might remember the Arturo jacket. That jacket is 5.5 pounds.
My new jacket was 6.6 pounds. It doesnt sounds so much but in reality
there is a world of difference. The Arturo jacket was stiff, but light.
The steerhidejacket was like something molded out of cement.
My heart loves it, and I find it the coolest thing in world, but at the same
time Im thinking about how much use its gonna get.
The reason for me to get this jacket was to have a new "to go" jacket
instead of the Harley or Arturo.

This is what I asked Aero:
* +3" in body length
* +1.5" in sleeves
* +1cm longer collar (just slightly longer so it folds more easy)
* light heavy steer. Not midweight, but as light as the heavy steer comes
if you have it in the same color, otherwise use the same hide.

So in a way it comes dow to color. If they have same color in a thinner hide
then that will be nice.
If they dont, and offer horse, then I will ask about color and think about it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Edward said:
Ah, well - hopefully it'll get cold over the weekend!) Having handled a stiff new jacket and compared it to my other leathers, I'm pretty sure that yourds will break in just fine on that score).

BTW, Griff, what height are you (potentially shorter Lounge members who are otherwise your size might be watching Aero's sale pages in upcoming weeks. It's an ill wind.... ;) )?

Im looking forward to seeing pics.

I am 179cm long.
But as much as I want Aero to sell that jacket, I really cant recommend it.
It is *alot* worse in real life then it looks on pics.
The main problem is the front as you can see on the pics.
There is *no way* to use it no matter how high you wear your pants.

You have to alter it in some way and add to the length.
When photoshopping I came across this:
1_special.jpg

This could be kinda cool, with 2 sidestraps. Or they could remove
the entire lower part and put on a wide one like the windward has with some sort of belt.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Ace Rimmer said:
Glad to hear it. In fact I think you made the better choice (having them make a new one vs fixing the old one). I sent back my new Veste de Rallye in February as it was out of spec by a siginificant amount. However, as I didn't want to wait another seven months for a new jacket, I asked them to modify it less than the original spec (to save time).

Well it's been nine weeks and I'm still waiting so I may as well have had them make a new jacket! lol

This is unfortunate. I really hope you get it soon.
I felt that there were more issues then just the length that I wanted fixed.
I did put this in the letter to them along with the jacket so I hope
they look at it and hopefully the new one will also be less bulgy.

I think I will wait for quite some time before I dare to ask how my new jacket
is going lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Gee, four pages of posts and no one seems to have identified your basic problems as to why this happened.

So here is my 2 cents and I am pretty damn sure i am correct.

Firstly,. every short jacket I own is 2 to 3 inches longer in the front than the back. I will bet your harley jacket is too. This is normal. It allows a proper fit along your belt line or whatever.

You obviously wear your jeans low, as is the common style. But this jacket is either made wrong, or more likely, a design that is designed to fit either a high waisted vintage style pants, such that it fits well below the belt in the back, or it is designed to fit modern style, but well below the belt.

So, you either need a different style, or need them to make it like most jackets and make it longer in the front than the back. lay it flat and you may find that the front is either shorter or as long as the back. Did you ever measure the front of your harley against the front of your aero. I will bet it is different. tell them what you want in the back and the front and see if they can do it in your style.

Secondly, your harley does not fit you. It is too big. Sure, it looks okay. Tall slim guys can get away with a lot. It looks nice. really. but look where the arm holes are. A proper fit will have the seam along your shoulder, not two inches down your arm. This is your second problem. the Aero is too big too. If you want to wear a heavy sweater under maybe, but in general, you need to get used to a more vintage fit, which would give you a smaller size. Once you have this done, you will not have all this extra leather balooning out like that. Your harley is thin enough to not be a problem, but the back and the waist will all get funky if you have them too small.

I often see people try on a big suit and think it is too small because the arm holes are pinching their biceps. Don't be fooled this way. Due to the thick leather you will need a big enough arm hole or vented sleeve if you want a lot of mobility though. If you want it for a motorcycle, this is a must as you will be reaching forward a lot.

thirdly, you may have issues with having the waist of the jacket actually be on your hips, not your waist. maybe or may not be a problem, but if you do not have your jacket flair out a little, or at least not taper in, you will have a problem as your natural waist is about five inches above where you have your belt.

I do not see that you can not get what you want, but you will have to deal with these three problems before you are happy with this style. If they can work with that, then get this style.

I think it is a beautiful jacket, and you have great taste. I would love to have this.

It is great if they take it back. As you are obviously very tall, and wanted it to fit very low in the waist, I do not think they will have a problem selling this jacket to a more average height person.

Good luck. Be sure to show us pics when you get it. I would not just give them measurements. I would discuss these issue with them. Butt if you have to, you will be happiest if you give them your actual chest measurements or from a jacket that really fits properly, and also the length you want in the front back, and how much longer in front than back and let them do their best.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Hi. Thank you for posting.

You are right about the Harley. It is a XL and I usually use medium.
It was about 10+ years ago and I paid $900
They only had 2 i think or maybe 3.
This size is good for everyday use and its a little tight when zipping
up but still comfortable.
I bought it for streetware and I was just happy they had one that was
alright because it was going to be taken off the market and I loved it.
You can see that its too big also by the creases in the front.

What I was refering to when I said that its a good fit, was the length.
It might not be the right length for this jacket, but all I meant was
that the measure was made to below my belt.

And you are also right about what went wrong. I only gave Aero the
backlength and they didnt ask for the front. I thought they knew
how to make it and didnt even consider having to tell them this measure.

I also said earlier in this post that the harly is slightly longer in front
and the Aero is slightly shorter in front when flat. Its not inches
on either one, but a little.

I do have to strongly disagree on the fit on the Aero tho.
There is no way I could use a smaller size.
I have a hard time zipping up the zipper.
I know it looks too big in the back, but this is how the design is.
Even if I went smaller and couldnt zip it up Im sure it wouldnt be
tight across the back. When you see the jacket up close you understand.
It is made in a specieal way.
I believe they do it this way for 2 reasons. One is that its easier to get
it to fit ok on most people just using the sidestraps, and the second
reason is that if it were infact tight then I would not be able to move.
The jacket is like cement I couldnt adjust the collar with it zipped up.

I did give them measurements. I have a 38.6-39.3" chest and the size is a 38.
They have chest, tummy and also the size where I have my jeans.
I also specified that I didnt want the puffyness, and that the jacket should fit
trim with the straps out and that they would make the jacket tapered.

The Highwayman isnt a tight jacket, and I dont need it to be.
I just tried to get it a little shorter then most because I find it cool.
The pufiness is not a big problem either, but it depends how it puffs.
I dont like the v-shaped puff and sadly thats what I got even tho the jacket
is tight on me. I think the back panel is just too large and it will be on any size.

I really dont want to mess with the design anymore as after holding it
I have seen why it fits like it does.
I have asked them to add 3" in length and this is what is gonna happen.
I told them about the puffiness and to keep that to a minimum and hopefully
they know what to do.
I will wear the jacket open 98% of the time and I think the fit is as casual
as I like it to be on this jacket.

My next jacket will be a cafe racer tho, and that is a totally different thing
where I will not be happy with any puff whatsoever.
Im planning on having it made super tight on me.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
After taking another look. I agree. I think the front looks fine across the chest, but from the back it looks too big under the arms. I think you are right that they tend to make it bigger across the back to accomadate people who like to wear their stuff oversized as they do not know any better. I think the puffiness will lessen as you break it in tough.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yes I also think it will settle and look better over time.
Otherwise one could always wet and dry with warm heat a little.

I also think that maybe the sidepanels will crease and thus making the jacket
to fit more around the body. This is why I will make sure to wear the
jacket closed while breaking it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart