Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New highwayman

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Howdy gents,
My busy season has slowed enough (rice fields are all planted here in northern California) to allow me the time to catch everybody up.
July of 2010 with the help of the kind help of the folks here I placed an order for an aero highwayman (the details of which can be seen here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...man-after-6-months-wear&p=1230038#post1230038)
Fast forward to July 2011, I noticed Aero leather USA's eBay store running a sale on a few models. When I contacted Mark and asked about his sale (thinking it was odd that he was offering a discount) he said due to the slumping economy he was trying to generate some interest. With that I jumped at the chance to place an order for a second highwayman. Basically the same order with some minor modifications as described in the thread above. I paid Mark over the phone using my credit card (the real key to my story) July 29th after some back and forth emails about details the order was placed August 5th with the factory (or so I thought). 16 weeks was my quoted turn around time which would be perfect for northern California weather and having in possession a highwayman already I wasn't terribly pressed when I contacted mark in December to inquire about my order. I was told by Mark that the factory was busy with the holidays and another month was needed. Again as I was already clad in FQHH I wasn't in any big hurry. January comes and goes, more emails to Mark. Then february and a size 38" A2 is listed on Aero's sale page. I email Amanda to enquire about the jackets details. A few further emails about size and fit I decide to place the order for the A2. I had briefly enquired in previous emails as to the status of my order pending with Mark, and was told by Amanda that the order should be completed very soon. At the point of purchase for the A2, I am asked if both of my orders could be shipped together (to save a few nickels). The back-and-forth of all of this dragged into March.
When I was told my order would be ready in a week, I placed my highwayman up for auction on the bay.
The auction ends the afternoon of March 22. A fellow lounger, JKSU, was the buyer. That evening I check in on the lounge to find this (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63022-A-Message-From-Aero-Leather-USA) I, like everyone else, was stunned. I took Mark's message at face value, I thought a refund would be issued and the situation rectified. I called Mark the next day, he said he wasn't going anywhere and that all refunds would be issued. Since I had an order pending for an A2 already I contacted Amanda also. Turns out as most of you all know that Mark never placed my order with Aero leather Scotland, and I would have to resubmit an order if I wanted a highwayman. At this point I almost lost it, I just sold my current Aero was out several hundred dollars for two orders and nothing to show for it. Mea culpa I initially balked at sending off my highwayman to JKSU. I informed him of the situation, I told him when I had a little more information as to what was going on, I would make the situation right.*I stalled for a few days, Trying to figure out what was going on. The worst possible scenario was for me to have let go of my prized highwayman and then not get a refund from Mark who is not returning my phone calls or emails and have to shell out more money to Aero leather Scotland to get what I really wanted all along was a highwayman that fit the way I wanted. Again JKSU my apologies for dragging you along in all of this.
I didn't waste much time filing a claim on my credit card. I was told I was long past the 60 days to file the claim though. I pressed on and contacted Holly at Aero. Holly was very helpful in compiling an email for my credit card company explaining that Aero's custom-made jackets can take up to six months or longer to fill an order. I gathered up all of my communications with Mark and passed them along to my credit card company. I was told it could take as long as 60 days to get a refund. Yesterday, a week after my highwayman finally arrived, a full refund was issued to my credit card. Mark's bank did not dispute the charges. I now have in my possession a full refund and a highwayman to show for it. Along the way, Holly and Amanda were very helpful. I was offered a deal that put my previous order with Mark at about the same cost. Thanks again to Holly, and Amanda at Aero Leather Scotland.

The details of my new highwayman:
Brown FQHH size 36" (whatever that means. I have since learned to go by the measurements not the tag)*(AS DARK AS POSSIBLE)
Nickel zippers*
Talon puller breast pocket
Inside pocket Left facing/stud*
Brown cotton in sleeves
Brodie hunting weathered tartan

21” PIT TO PIT
24” BACK LENGTH
17” SHOULDERS
26” SLEEVES

This highwayman differed from my first order in that it is trimmer fitting both in the sleeves and in the body. The difference in the pit to pit measurement being reduced by 2". In my opinion a much better fit for my frame, what do y'all think? Of note the length ended up almost an inch short of my requested 24". I think at this length it is probably closer to how it should fit. I have only adorned the jacket (because of both lack of need and I'm a bit leery of the shorter length) for these photographs, so I need some opinions on the length.

1e14b595.jpg

466c2b8c.jpg

e98fd2a8.jpg

53e44d82.jpg

166ac799.jpg

bd33668d.jpg

5ad6ed10.jpg

6ba218b9.jpg

2becb121.jpg

8360bf15.jpg

A few more notes and observations, the difference between the oil pull and standard brown hides, I think, is considerable. If I were to name the hides as I have had leather definitions explained to me, I would call the oil pull an aniline finished hide and the standard brown the pull up (or oil pull). To me the standard brown is much more waxy and pliable feeling than the oil pull. My old oil pull highwayman was at least as thick (though listed as a mid weight) if not thicker, and considerably stiffer than standard brown (that's right, if you think your standard brown is stiff try donning a jacket in oil pull). It took a considerable amount of time for the oil pull to crease whereas my standard brown almost immediately took to forming creases and folds.
The oil pull hide scuffed and lightened when scuffed (like, as I understand it an aniline finished hide), where as the standard brown somewhat melts and blends together tonally (like a pull up hide) with a little buffing from a cotton cloth, or even your hand. I spent a lot of time with the sample brown Amanda sent to me rolling it forming it wetting it ect, and it is much softer than the oil pull.
The heavy weight tartan that is in my new highwayman does feel warmer than the cotton, and I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy fabric holds up as well or better than the cotton drill. The red cotton on my first highwayman wore through in a few spots after one season of wear, and for me was not warm enough.
Hope everybody finds this helpful, questions and comments are always welcome

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice Highwayman oldcrow and a good even color to the hide. As regards body length, it's very difficult to judge with a shirt hanging out. Would need to see it again with your belt line visible.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey oldcrow82;

Gorgeous Highwayman. Very glad to hear your perseverence prevailed and you received the refund.

I'm with HD on this......about 3" on the body and at least 1 1/2" on the sleeves. Exact length in inches difficult to ascertain because of the untucked shirt (you weren't talking to ButteMT61 were you?) and I presume a low rise on the jeans.

Regards,
coffee

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I hate whining over an inch, otherwise it's perfect. I generally don't tuck in my shirts which is why I shot the pictures that way. I can say there is a sliver of belt buckel showing underneath my zipped up jacket. The sleeve length is perfect.
I'll try and shoot a few pictures with a shirt tucked in. I can say its quite comfortable driving with a jacket that short, and I wouldnt want it any longer than an inch.
The jeans are regular 'ol Levis 501's.
I wasn't talking to Scott, my fellow Californian and I are a bit more relaxed than some here I guess.

Last edited:
This style jacket can be fine on the short side - esp if you're not a "tucker" :)
Look at some of the 50's pics and you'll see they fit similarly, and you carry it well. My son is of the same build/size, and he does the same with good results. If you're not bothered by the sleeves in particular, then enjoy it. I know some of us taller/bigger guys have a lifetime of grief with too-short sleeves, and I am basically paranoid over it. But that's my issue, not yours. Sweet jacket, and the hide is amazing. She'll break-in and look even better over time...

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I'm certainly not concerned what others think, just soliciting ideas. The original order was to be 24" of length in the back. This one came in just a hair over 23". On such a short fitting style to begin with I wonder if it's worth the hassle or not. After all I've been through I'm reluctant to let go of my aero is all ;)

Edward

Bartender
I would keep the jacket and buy high waisted trousers^^
For my taste the arm lenght is cool.

That'd be my approach too... Briefly had a pair of modern 501s a few years ago. Drove me daft... nowhere near as bad as the equivalent Lee, but ridiculously too low in the waist for me. I like my jackets fairly short - one of my favourites is my 30s Halfbelt, which is a touch shorter than my Highwayman. Sleeves look just right to me, though I know a lo of the bike guys like 'em long.

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
That'd be my approach too... Briefly had a pair of modern 501s a few years ago. Drove me daft... nowhere near as bad as the equivalent Lee, but ridiculously too low in the waist for me. I like my jackets fairly short - one of my favourites is my 30s Halfbelt, which is a touch shorter than my Highwayman. Sleeves look just right to me, though I know a lo of the bike guys like 'em long.

I think you might be right, my LVC '47's or '55's are generally my out ad about dungarees.

Edward

Bartender
For reference, here is the first one

IMG_0074.jpg

Both look good to me. I always shied away from the Highwayman as I tend to like my leathers fairly neat fitting. Decided to take a punt on one of the Aprentice-Made models Aero had a while back, and very glad I did. Definitely a significantly more generous fit than my 30s HalfBelt / Bootlegger / etc, which is how they were cut from the mid-late Fifties and into the early 60s. I as initially unsure, but when I gave it a chance I found I really like it. Always nice to have an alternative. In the longer term, I'd like to get myself one of the shearling-lined models with a few mods as a Winter-wear alternative to a B3/Irvin/B15 when I fancy something in black...

jksu

Familiar Face
oldcrow82,

congrats on your jacket! i know you were in a bind a few months ago and could feel your pain, especially reading all about the mark situation going on at the time. but i appreciate you making things right after selling me your old highwayman. eternally grateful because i do love the highwayman! and i'm so glad that amanda @ aero and your credit card company all came through. it's nice to hear happy endings.

speaking of which, i think they new highwayman looks fantastic! like the lining choice (warmer/more durable) and the pocket.

the fit, especially sleeves and torso are definitely better fitting to your physique than your old jacket. the old one was definitely baggy in both areas on you.... ok for those that prefer a looser fit, but i like you, prefer a more form fit. as for length, you seem like a short torso, long legged kind of guy. i can't remember but i believe your old highwayman (the one i have) was 24" length too right? i agree it's appropriate for this style of jacket, but yeah, even with my highwayman (your old one), i'd like an additional inch or two only because i like slightly longer jackets. i've seen other highwaymans posted here on long lean guys where they had them at 26" and i think they looked great with the additional length. but it's a preference. most riding jackets 25." my fox creek grayson cafe racer is 25" front/ 27" back, dainese 25", old schott 651 25". my schott utility is 26." so the highwayman is my shortest jacket. still love it.

interesting comments on the regular brown fqhh vs oil pull. from your pictures, it does look like it's broken in already in a relative short amount of time... the sleeves already have their wrinkles. yeah, the oil pull is a touch shinier than the normal brown just based on the pics. my oil pull brown is definitely still quite stiff ... if i leave it out in the car under the sun, it slips right on but on chilly days it's still pretty stiff. definitely some patina going on (appreciate your hard work doing that). you'll have some in no time i'm sure.... are you doing to do the walking the rain/shower with this jacket too?

like the beard too!

Lungomare

A-List Customer
My old oil pull highwayman was at least as thick (though listed as a mid weight) if not thicker, and considerably stiffer than standard brown (that's right, if you think your standard brown is stiff try donning a jacket in oil pull). It took a considerable amount of time for the oil pull to crease whereas my standard brown almost immediately took to forming creases and folds.

I nearly can't believe that!

The Oilpull of my Aero A-2 is not as least as thick as the FQ HH of my Highwayman, maybe half as thick. Was yours the old or new oilpull?

Here's a picture of my Oilpull:

And my HWM:

Kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
I hate whining over an inch, otherwise it's perfect. I generally don't tuck in my shirts which is why I shot the pictures that way. I can say there is a sliver of belt buckel showing underneath my zipped up jacket. The sleeve length is perfect.
I'll try and shoot a few pictures with a shirt tucked in. I can say its quite comfortable driving with a jacket that short, and I wouldnt want it any longer than an inch.
The jeans are regular 'ol Levis 501's.
I wasn't talking to Scott, my fellow Californian and I are a bit more relaxed than some here I guess.

The new jacket is beautiful. As long as you remain thin the length is fine and looks great!-- John

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I nearly can't believe that!

The Oilpull of my Aero A-2 is not as least as thick as the FQ HH of my Highwayman, maybe half as thick. Was yours the old or new oilpull?

Kind regards,

Johannes

My oil pull was of the new stock. It was cut and sown in November of 2010. Perhaps the oil pull stock has changed yet again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner