Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket leather options...

Mark

Practically Family
Recently traded in my Aero FQHH HWM against a new jacket (The FQHH too much for me these days). Going for a Royale (sucker for patch pockets). Aero only advise their mid weight leathers for this style so I am thinking either their Vicenza, Badallasi or the battered steer. I have no experience of any of these leathers. I only know what I have read on this forum. It seems the Vicenza gets mixed reviews where as the Badallasi seems to be much favoured. Not so much info on the battered steer but the one image I can find on here it looks to be very nice. Any thoughts, experiences from members here? Thanks.

Spiney

One of the Regulars
I think most on here will push you towards Badalassi. I think you should also consider Goat. Great leather, robust but no break in .

Pandemic

One Too Many
I am on Team Vic over here, but I think a lot depends on the colour you want (Badalassi has some wonderfully rich and deep shades of brown). Also agree that goat would be really nice for this, though every picture you see is the battered seal:
FFEAC00C-C57A-446D-95CB-9C4958F95DCB.jpeg
8A4E0BC4-8DAE-4131-A525-8D2721BB5CCA.jpeg
A1B8B094-DF77-46A2-AF7E-416592DBD8A5.jpeg

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Recently traded in my Aero FQHH HWM against a new jacket (The FQHH too much for me these days). Going for a Royale (sucker for patch pockets). Aero only advise their mid weight leathers for this style so I am thinking either their Vicenza, Badallasi or the battered steer. I have no experience of any of these leathers. I only know what I have read on this forum. It seems the Vicenza gets mixed reviews where as the Badallasi seems to be much favoured. Not so much info on the battered steer but the one image I can find on here it looks to be very nice. Any thoughts, experiences from members here? Thanks.
For the Royale to really look good the leather needs to have a bit of a drape to it. Battered Steer would be ideal, and would be my first choice. Goat would also have the right handle to it. Out of Vicenza and Badalassi, whilst i prefer Badalassi out of the two it isn't best suited for this style it is a bit too heavy both in terms of drape but also to get the gathering at the waist correct, Vicenza would be better.

Mark

Practically Family
I think most on here will push you towards Badalassi. I think you should also consider Goat. Great leather, robust but no break in .
Thank you for that. I have a feeling Badalassi will come out on top. Shame it is an extra £120 on top of the jacket price. Goat is not an option I have considered mainly as it does not patina-up in a hurry!.

Mark

Practically Family
For the Royale to really look good the leather needs to have a bit of a drape to it. Battered Steer would be ideal, and would be my first choice. Goat would also have the right handle to it. Out of Vicenza and Badalassi, whilst i prefer Badalassi out of the two it isn't best suited for this style it is a bit too heavy both in terms of drape but also to get the gathering at the waist correct, Vicenza would be better.
That sounds top advice. I love the idea and look of the Badalassi but I wondered if it would be a tad heavy and stiff perhaps. Vicenza I am not sure of. I may ultimately opt for the battered steer. Many thanks

Mark

Practically Family
I am on Team Vic over here, but I think a lot depends on the colour you want (Badalassi has some wonderfully rich and deep shades of brown). Also agree that goat would be really nice for this, though every picture you see is the battered seal: View attachment 462282 View attachment 462283 View attachment 462284
Thank you Pandemic. I had seen the battered steer pics before, looks amazing. What is the top pic leather? Goat, sadly I may not live long enough to see any patina developing at least that is what I am led to believe!
I am a fan of the Badallasi russet but as another member stated it maybe a bit heavy for the style of jacket. Thanks again.

Mark

Practically Family
Yes I like the Badallasi but as some one mentioned likely too heavy for the style of jacket. All those commenting mention goat. Initially I thought no as it really does not develop patina/character, at least not for the first few decades! However I will have to look again.
No one has mentioned Jerky, is that an option worth considering? Many thanks for your thoughts.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No one has mentioned Jerky, is that an option worth considering?
Info from Aero: „badalassi is thicker than jerky, the grain is beautiful and it moulds to the body very well whereas jerky almost bounces back to it’s shape so never really moulds."

Thus, I would think that if Badalassi is too heavy, although it moulds to the body, that then a bouncing leather is also not optimal.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Kelpie!

It's thinner and softer and tough and nice aniline finish. Comparable to the 1.1mm Shinki standard. Will give the illusion of better fit because how soft and drapey the leather is.

Kelpie (mine is green but it's more black and there is brown option) The thinner more pliable leather will "adhere" to the body better thus giving the look of better fit.
Board Racer 001.JPG

Shinki 1.1mm aniline. Very similar temper and finish and drape to the Kelpie.
IMG_7813.JPG

I vote for a Kelpie Royal.

David r

New in Town
I have both tobacco badalassi and battered steerhide. As mentioned the badalassi is very rich in colour but quite a bit heavier than the steerhide. The steerhide is also lovely and has more of a Matt look. If you want a better drape, I’d go for the battered steerhide

Mark

Practically Family
Info from Aero: „badalassi is thicker than jerky, the grain is beautiful and it moulds to the body very well whereas jerky almost bounces back to it’s shape so never really moulds."

Thus, I would think that if Badalassi is too heavy, although it moulds to the body, that then a bouncing leather is also not optimal.
Thanks Mr Proper, certainly don't want to be bouncing about the place. Will rule the Jerky out.

Mark

Practically Family
I have both tobacco badalassi and battered steerhide. As mentioned the badalassi is very rich in colour but quite a bit heavier than the steerhide. The steerhide is also lovely and has more of a Matt look. If you want a better drape, I’d go for the battered steerhide
Thank you David. The battered Steer makes more sense. Shame though as I do love russet. Cheers.

Mark

Practically Family
Kelpie!

It's thinner and softer and tough and nice aniline finish. Comparable to the 1.1mm Shinki standard. Will give the illusion of better fit because how soft and drapey the leather is.

Kelpie (mine is green but it's more black and there is brown option) The thinner more pliable leather will "adhere" to the body better thus giving the look of better fit.
View attachment 462353

Shinki 1.1mm aniline. Very similar temper and finish and drape to the Kelpie.
View attachment 462354

I vote for a Kelpie Royal.
Thank you Canucke, lovely fitting jackets there. For some reason the Kelpie did not grab me, perhaps because not many folk here seem to own one. Will have to reconsider it. Cheers.

zebedee

One Too Many
The battered steer is your best move for drape. My Badalassi jacket is lovely, but is a thick hide that will take a lot of work to hang well (like Vicenza or goat do). A lot of people are less enthusiastic about Vicenza, but I am really happy with its drape, light(ish) weight and general wearability. It will probably patina more quickly than goat, but that may still be a relatively long process.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Have you looked at russet goat if you like russet so much? Goat drapes well, is tough as nails and Aeros Russet goat is beautiful.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The battered steer is your best move for drape. My Badalassi jacket is lovely, but is a thick hide that will take a lot of work to hang well (like Vicenza or goat do). A lot of people are less enthusiastic about Vicenza, but I am really happy with its drape, light(ish) weight and general wearability. It will probably patina more quickly than goat, but that may still be a relatively long process.

The problem is that the CXL driven stiff leather fetish holds so much sway online that I think people are either unaware of drape or against drape, lol.

Battered steer is a beautiful hide, for a number of reasons but among them it is second to none in depth of color.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Battered steer is lovely, it ages beautifully and easy to wear. I’ve also just ordered a few samples including the soft black Italian horsehide which could be another option?.

zebedee

One Too Many
The problem is that the CXL driven stiff leather fetish holds so much sway online that I think people are either unaware of drape or against drape, lol.

Battered steer is a beautiful hide, for a number of reasons but among them it is second to none in depth of color.
One of the appeals of Vicenza - and of goat, too - is the flexibility. Their reduced bulk, at no cost to tensile strength, makes for jackets that are easier to wear. Aside from a steerhide jacket, I haven't ordered a full-weight jacket in a long time. A long jacket in a heavy hide is a lovely thing, but I am more often in favour of something lighter (although it isn't as if the lighter hides, to most folks, would be considered 'light').

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider