Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket purchase (Indy)

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Just looked at the Wested website, and the model that I ordered doesn't seem to be offered anymore. I ordered a 'ROLA' jacket, which used to be in their 'custom made' section. It was a standard jacket though, with the only 'custom' request being the non side-entry pockets. I'm not 100% sure how the 'ROLA' differed from the 'Raiders' jacket that they offer. I know the 'Hero' is supposed to cut be more like the film jacket.

Cheers,

Jon

majormajor

One Too Many
Hmmm. Gets complicated....

ROLA simply stands for "Raiders Of the Lost Ark". They also do an LC, which stands for "Last Crusade".

So, the full line up (although it is not very clear from their site) is:

Wested ROLA "modern fit" satin lining.

Wested LC "modern fit" satin lining, collar snaps.

Wested Hero "original fit" cotton lining.

All with a choice of hide (although lamb is nearest to the look and drape of the original).

Looks good to me!:D

Plumbline

One Too Many
The indy jacket website gives some really favourable feedback on the " Copper novapelle" .. apparently it's got a nice weight, great drape ( despite being steer and not lamb) and the surface finish is designed to age quickly ( top coat wearing off and basecoat showing through). Looks really cool Johnny and has worn nicely in such a short time ... might have to revisit Wested .... ROLA ( I'll remember that :D )

Thanks for posting

majormajor

One Too Many
I've read that Novapelle will give a better "Indy" drape if treated with Pecards. Anyone on here with experience of that?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Wested Raiders jacket in dark brown lambskin. I've had it for almost ten years. It's a great "summer weight" leather jacket, between the lack of knits and its very comfortable cotton lining.

As I've reported here many times, I once tore a big gash in the back panel (lambskin is fragile!)... And Wested repaired it beautifully for free, and even paid for the return shipping. Amazing customer service!

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I've got a Wested lamb skin, must be about 6-8 years old with cotton lining. it's great for wearing in warmer weather, as has been mentioned here before and I've probably worn it as much as all my other leather jackets combined. I also have a US Wings in distressed cowhide, but while it was reasonable priced, and very good quality, I don't wear it much.

I've just ordered an Aero long half belt though, in a less heavy than usual oil pull Steerhide, cotton lining and no storm cuffs, so that might take over now. I'll get a wested in goat at some point though, they're just so good for the price!

Last edited:

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I have a TNO Raiders in shrunken lamb. I love it, it has a lot of sentimental value because Tony made it for me as a gift.

For a jacket made in lamb it's tough stuff. I wear it all the time even at work and I'm not babying it.

BJC88

New in Town
Bought a secondhand Todd's a month ago; this is now, like my Penman Raiders, MY jacket. :cool:

Panacheman

Familiar Face
I have a ROLA in goat that was a custom job from Wested cotton drill lining special sleeve length and nickle hardware and a extra pocket fro my notebook. bought it last year as my first custom fitted jacket so that i had something for those warmer days when my heavy leather wont do and i don't feel like a suit jacket. its become my go to for warmer weather excursions where i might need to carry any thing more then my wallet and keys.

majormajor

One Too Many
Just waiting for some hide samples from Wested.

As you say, a jacket for warmer days when a thick Aero is too much:D;)

Edward

Bartender
Goat, I think, could be the right choice. A soft drape, but stronger than lamb?

That's what went for. As others, much as I love the films, when it came to buying an Indy jacket, I was actually thinking practicality. I wanted a light leather I could wear in warmer weather - lighter hide, cotton lining, no knits. An Indy fit the bill. I've always run scared of lamb owing to I like my leathers to feel like I can, well, if not drag them under a truck, at least lean against a brick wall without ripping them. I'd be too hard on lamb, I fear - though of course I agree it has its place. The jacket I bought - on eBay, for about half the new price - is the Wested Raiders in goat. Much lighter than my Aero goat A2, but sturdy enough that I can wear it out and not really worry about it (and they're not Aero money to replace if it does get disappeared from a hotel room in Forn Parts...). I wore it in Dehli last weekend, in temperatures in the low 20s. Didn't really need it on in that, but the inner zip pocket was a much better place to keep my wallet in among crowds at the Taj or the backstreets of Old Dehli. I'll stick up a photo or two once I have them online. The drape, though, is bang on - identical to the lamb, just a bit tougher. (Think: like a pair of goatskin leather gloves). The only thing it can't give you, which the lamb can, is the same easy degree of relicing, if the screen-accurate look is your thang. That's fine with me - I like patina as much as the next guy, but I also prefer my jackets to not look too worn down. Horses for courses (main course, if you shop as Tesco...).

majormajor

One Too Many
That's what went for. As others, much as I love the films, when it came to buying an Indy jacket, I was actually thinking practicality. I wanted a light leather I could wear in warmer weather - lighter hide, cotton lining, no knits. An Indy fit the bill. I've always run scared of lamb owing to I like my leathers to feel like I can, well, if not drag them under a truck, at least lean against a brick wall without ripping them. I'd be too hard on lamb, I fear - though of course I agree it has its place. The jacket I bought - on eBay, for about half the new price - is the Wested Raiders in goat. Much lighter than my Aero goat A2, but sturdy enough that I can wear it out and not really worry about it (and they're not Aero money to replace if it does get disappeared from a hotel room in Forn Parts...). I wore it in Dehli last weekend, in temperatures in the low 20s. Didn't really need it on in that, but the inner zip pocket was a much better place to keep my wallet in among crowds at the Taj or the backstreets of Old Dehli. I'll stick up a photo or two once I have them online. The drape, though, is bang on - identical to the lamb, just a bit tougher. (Think: like a pair of goatskin leather gloves). The only thing it can't give you, which the lamb can, is the same easy degree of relicing, if the screen-accurate look is your thang. That's fine with me - I like patina as much as the next guy, but I also prefer my jackets to not look too worn down. Horses for courses (main course, if you shop as Tesco...).

Thanks for that, Edward.

Perhaps you can do me a favour. Wested seem like nice folks, but they are very fuzzy when it comes to sizing.

Could you tell me the size of yours, and how it pans in terms of pit-to-pit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran