Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket purchase (Indy)

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Hi guys,

As well as making jackets, I recently bought one! Not vintage, and not military. I finally succumbed and bought an 'Indy' jacket. As much as I love the films, I bought the jacket from a practical point of view. I love wearing my 1950s Cagleco G-1, but sometimes the waistband makes it not too practical, so I wanted to get something without knitted cuffs and waistband.

I had a little money put to one side from my Birthday, so I took the plunge and ordered one from Wested. I'm really happy with the jacket - it fits well and is exactly what I was looking for (a fairly lightweight jacket that can just be thrown on before heading out the door).

It's definitely vintage 'inspired', owing a lot to the A-2, and the fit feels quite vintage. I changed the zip when it arrived for a Talon, as the YKK was a bit cheap looking. Overall, I think it's a nice, inexpensive everyday jacket. It's already showing a bit more character after being worn.

Cheers,

Jon

Front-6_zps91b52c59.jpg

Back-2_zpsd610ecf5.jpg

Frontleft-1_zpsfb70bd71.jpg

Frontright-1_zpscbadb816.jpg

Sleeve-1_zpsdae195c4.jpg

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Thanks Bruce.

The leather is 'copper novapelle'. It's nice, and doesn't look overly 'pre-distressed', especially now that it's broken in a bit.

Cheers,

Jon

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a real Indy jacket, as opposed to my G&B Expedition (Indy) that still looks as new as the day I got it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Not a bad lookin' Indy. I went with a Custom Black HH Indy as my first non-stock jacket. It's sitting across from me in the office as I speak. You're is already more "broke in" than mine but it'd developing a nice patina. I only ask one thing, pics of you wearing it. Don't be shy, if I can display my old, ugly butt you can display yours too.

Worf

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
Your jacket looks great. I have been debating about getting another Wested. That Novapelle is very nice. I have a Wested in Lamb. I also have one from Nowak.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Not a bad lookin' Indy. I went with a Custom Black HH Indy as my first non-stock jacket. It's sitting across from me in the office as I speak. You're is already more "broke in" than mine but it'd developing a nice patina. I only ask one thing, pics of you wearing it. Don't be shy, if I can display my old, ugly butt you can display yours too.

Worf

Hi Worf - any chance of you posting your black hh Wested? I'd love to see it, thinking of getting one myself if they have the leather available.

Cheers!

Michael

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Nice! I'm envisioning their 'Havoc' jacket in brown leather as a nice Luftwaffe jacket.

Btw I spotted an Indy style jacket while watching 'Only Angels have Wings'
so jackets like this were indeed around in the 30s:
Screenshot2012-12-10at051852_zps91bbfa35.png

BobJ

Practically Family
Hey Jonnyboy - The Wested site says that handwarmer pockets behind the cargo pockets are standard, but it looks like your's doesn't have them. Did you order your jacket without them, or are they there, but VERY CLEVERLY hidden? If you do have them, are they big enough to get your hands in comfortably? BTW, I really like your jacket and, because of your post, am in correspondence with Wested and have requested some leather samples - Copper Novapelle included :) It's funny how real life pictures of certain jackets make us consider one we wouldn't have otherwise. I would love to see some shots of you wearing it. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Nice! I'm envisioning their 'Havoc' jacket in brown leather as a nice Luftwaffe jacket.

Btw I spotted an Indy style jacket while watching 'Only Angels have Wings'
so jackets like this were indeed around in the 30s:
Screenshot2012-12-10at051852_zps91bbfa35.png

Great movie, with great A-1's as well.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Great looking jacket .. I had one of the original "Raiders" jackets in lambskin from Wested and it wasn't a patch on this ! It NEVER looked worn in and the handwarmer pockets "bagged" very quickly ..

Indeed it does look like they upped their game ... how old is it Johnnyboy ???

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Nice i was tempted by the novapelle when i ordered mine last year, but ultimately went for the goat. I think the loungers are right Wested's game has been upped recently fortunately the two of us seem to have been on the receiving end of the up grade. have fun wearing it in it makes a great knock around jacket I second the request for actual fit pics

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nice i was tempted by the novapelle when i ordered mine last year, but ultimately went for the goat. I think the loungers are right Wested's game has been upped recently fortunately the two of us seem to have been on the receiving end of the up grade. have fun wearing it in it makes a great knock around jacket I second the request for actual fit pics

The Indy does make a great knock around jacket, and find that I grab my G&B goatskin Expedition (Indy) when the weather is just a bit on the cool side but not cold. It is like wearing an A-2 without the knits.

Jonnyboy

New in Town
Hi guys,

Metatron - great photo from "Only Angels Have Wings'!

I requested that the pockets weren't side-enty, so just open at the top like on an A-2 jacket. On photos I'd seen of other 'Indy' type jackets, I didn't like the way the handwarmer pockets seem to sag, and alter the look of the jacket.

I bought the jacket in December, and have worn it quite a lot since then. It's definitely developing character, and breaking in. For an inexpensive leather jacket, I'd say the quality is very good, and it's very practical style. I'll try to get some 'wearing' photos up as soon as I can.

At some point in the future, I may look at making a repro of a 1930s 'utility' type jacket. Not an Indy one, but something very much of the era. Since moving to France, I've always been on the look out for 1930s/1940s vintage leather jackets at second hand shops and markets. Nothing yet...

Cheers,

Jon

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Jonnyboy.

Looking at the Wested site, I see they do two different versions of this jacket. They do the "Indy", which they describe as "modern easy fit" and then they do the "Hero", which they say is closer to the original they did for the film.

So is yours the "Indy" or the "Hero" pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo