Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Job...but how to dress??

Josephine

One Too Many
flat-top said:
I am really just torn because I've been at this place for so long that's it's gonna be hard to leave, especially since I don't really know much about the new place.

I know what you mean. I started a new job in April that has nothing to do with what I went to school for, however the job I had was paying less and less, and the new job was perfect for me being able to be home with my children after school and during the summers. I was happy in my rut, I had been there about 7 years, though it wasn't the best place for me. There was a bit of angst deciding and then leaving, but it has worked for for the best.

Good luck in figuring out what you'll do.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I just returned to a former workplace in a new capacity. The dress code has been business casual for years, but the sad truth is that with the possible exception of the CEO, who has cornered the grey trousers and expensive V-neck sweater look, no one in the company has the slightest idea of how to pull off business casual. They are all dressed way too down. (There is one other distinctive dresser in the creative department who does wonders with bowling shirts, Hawaiian shirts, and vintage cowboy shirts; not classic business casual, but pretty neat.)

There is also, redundantly, a "Casual Friday" which means, in practice, jeans if not worse; plus fairly frequent "Casual Week" fundraisers for charity.

In my former lifetime at the company, I wore a jacket and tie every day, and became known as the token sharp dresser, a kind of sartorial pet. I recommend that approach! Be likable in your threads, and people will like you for them.

In my return tenure, in a slightly more touchy-feely position, I will still wear a jacket and tie most days, but will strategically take off the jacket during the day, to look a tad more "unbuttoned." On Casual Fridays and some other days, I'll keep the jacket but ditch the tie, going to the frequently recommended but seldom executed genuine business casual look: silk polo with sportcoat and gabardine trousers, that sort of thing.

I tried it this past Friday, wearing a white button-down open at the collar (crisp white tee underneath), light grey trousers, grey checked sportcoat, black belt, and my black-and-white Allen Edmonds Broadstreet spectators. Someone said with others nearby, "Pat, this is Casual Friday!" I just spread my arms and answered, "This is casual for me." Big laugh.

Since you can't help drawing attention if you dress according to your own taste, turn that into a business positive. It's a trademark, like Payne Stewart's plus-fours on the golf course.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I leave for my 2 weeks of training tomorrow. I packed some vintage and repro sportshirts and some repro sweatshirts. The last email I recieved from the company was to dress casually. Let's see how far everyone takes it!

kools

Practically Family
Flattop...I'm curious to see how the training went. What kind of repro sport shirts/sweatshirts are we talking?

Musclebuzz

New in Town
Hey Flat-Top!

I hope that training goes well! You wardrobe choices sound just fine to me.
You mentioned this is a clothing company that you've just joined.

Who knows, you may INSPIRE them to introduce a vintage repro line of their own!

Congrats and best of luck in your new job.
Chris (Musclebuzz)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo