Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ken Burns series this fall on PBS Prohibition

rue

Everybody is welcome! :D We keep a well stocked bar in an oak icebox. And it's not even bathtub gin- it's Beefeater!

Somebody else needs to bring the snacks. And be forewarned, the last time I had overnight guests I made them dig out a 8' by 12' space for a patio in the backyard. So come early and bring work clothes. ;)

No problem at all.... I can make snacks and I know how to wield a hammer or a paint brush ;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No problem at all.... I can make snacks and I know how to wield a hammer or a paint brush ;)

My kind of lady! Too bad you're in Ohio, we could do fix it up and then party it up weekends. :)

The rest of your family could come too... I have no problems putting even small children to work. :lol: Somebody's got to pick the rocks out of the patio hole.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Yep.... northern Arizona, where it snows :D

Anyway, back on topic, I watched the sneak peek and it made me anxious to see the whole thing :)

Cool. I too want to see this special, from the bits I have seen it looks very well done and interesting.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;3ty4U1wD2go]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ty4U1wD2go[/video]

New promo and remember that with the PBS app for iPhone or iPad you can watch the first episode now.
Starts this Sunday on your local PBS station.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Here are some screen grabs from the first episode.

The Dust Bowl, Fall 2012
The Dust Bowl is directed and produced by Ken Burns and written and produced by Dayton Duncan. The film will be broadcast nationally in prime time on PBS in 2012.

The Dust Bowl was also covered by an episode of The American Experience a few years back. Well done, part of a set of 1930's AE documentaries that include Seabiscuit, The Hoover Dam, and the Crash of 1929.

"We were awash in alcohol in the 19th century," says documentarian Ken Burns in a discussion with Audie Cornish on Weekend Edition Sunday. Burns' Prohibition, beginning Sunday night on PBS, serves as the follow-up to his past series on topics as diverse as the Civil War, Jazz, the National Park system, and baseball. http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...lls-a-law-so-strict-it-was-tee-totally-doomed

The concept of clean water being available at your sink was not always the case even in the US. (It was said that the health of the Chinese workers on the Transcontinental Railroad was better than most others because they boiled the water to make tea.) Fermented beer and wine tended to be safe to drink in most places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ