Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Lost Worlds Leather Peacoat Pics

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Looks great, can I ask, why you went Elk rather than Deer?

Not a hide expert. My understanding is that Elk is a bit tougher and more durable than Deer, all other things being equal. I think Deer works better for something more 'shirt-like', e.g. an A-1, varsity jacket or similar. Also, it's probably easier to use a single Elk hide for a jacket as large as mine versus a Deer hide which is substantially smaller.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Gorgeous Peacoat!
I think the lining you chose accents the leather amazingly well. I wish I had the foresight to have made a similar change in mine.

Burgundy rayon is a standard item in an LW jacket (if requested). If you have a LW jacket now, and want it relined, LW does offer a 'restoration' service, but it costs $350 (not to mention shipping/handling). Alternatively, you could buy the rayon from LW at $40 sq yard (or source your own for that matter) and have a local tailor probably do it for a bit less. Ermazine is a nice alternative to rayon; feels a bit more sheer/satiny but wears a bit cooler, at least to me. I often will swap out buttons on navy blazers or reline sport coats, etc., to get a different look/feel.

Last edited:

Roma

A-List Customer
Some pics of my new LW Leather Peacoat. Peacoats are my favorite jacket design so it's not surprising that my first purchase of a significant leather piece would also be a peacoat. LW quality is directly palpable: weight, smell, texture, 'feel', it has it all. The hide is a black elk, which is fairly rare. I like the rough texture and springiness of the hide. The buttons are tortoise shell, which makes the jacket complementary with brown shoes and/or khakis on occasion, though I suspect I will wear mostly jeans or gray trousers with this jacket. High armholes and a nice fit around the shoulders, armpits and chest...like a custom jacket.

Size 42 Regular
Sleeves shortened to 25" (modified post sale)
Hide: Black Elk (3+ ounces)
Lining: Deep purple rayon

Full front:
View attachment 10220

Closeup of collar, front:
View attachment 10222

Full back:
View attachment 10223

Closeup of collar, back:
View attachment 10224

Inside breast pocket, lining:
View attachment 10225

Closeup of front collar for stitching and hide texture:
View attachment 10226

Fit pics later today or tomorrow....

Hi ykurtz,
You mentioned you size is 42, what is your chest then? I'm in negotiations with Stuart on the size. My chest is 43 and I think I should choose 44 size.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Now I'm sure I should go for a 44. Thanks.

I recommend sending him your measurements and just ask him what size would work best. Depending on the jacket you are getting and the pattern, he has historically done a good job fitting folks as far as I know. Are you going for his standard 'off the rack' sizing or are you customizing measurements?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great looking jacket...what a combo! Elk, peacoat and that great lining!

There is a lot of leather in that jacket....is it very heavy?

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
A very nice coat, indeed! Years ago, it was that very coat (but in the russet horse), which first gave me "jacket fever." Unfortunately, my unusual size requirements caused it to be cost prohibitive.

10 forested acres

New in Town
Newbie here.... I just "Popped the Cork" on a LOST WORLDS Russet Pea Coat. After considerable reflection
and diligence, I determined it had to be done. "Gather Ye Rose Buds...." and the like.

Scooter Out!

Edward

Bartender
Stu definitely produces a great jacket. I've never really considered a leather peacoat much, but I would be tmepted if I fell on the right deal. At the right weight, it'd be great for Summer rain....

Roma

A-List Customer
I recommend sending him your measurements and just ask him what size would work best. Depending on the jacket you are getting and the pattern, he has historically done a good job fitting folks as far as I know. Are you going for his standard 'off the rack' sizing or are you customizing measurements?
I've done so, I ordered a custom version 'cause I'm pretty tall. The thing is my size is 43" and I'm always in the middle of 42 and 44 sizes. Yes, Stuart's database told him most people with similar measurements chose 42, but in some cases 44 could be better.

10 forested acres

New in Town
Bump.....

I'm sorry that I have no pics, let me paint with a few words.
Opened up my Lost Worlds Russet Peacoat last night. As expected
I have no dissapointments. Absolutely no scars or imperfections in
the hide. Despite some information I had read regarding concerns
of some others, there was no option for me but the clean style
and duplication of the WWII coat (in leather). I had a phone call and a few
e-mails with Stuart that were all business. At one point, after
maybe a few beers, I e-mailed Stuart that I would enjoy for him
to sign the coat. He wasn't immediately agreeable, however, when
combing over the details of the new acquisition I found he fulfilled
my request. A quick thank you to Stuart was acknowledged.
I can't speak highly enough about my experience.

Perhaps there is some truth to the proverb. You will attract more bees
with honey, than you will with vinegar. or something like that.

Scooter Out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy