Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Member Question: Lost Hat

Scott

New in Town
Just an update: I was able to get a full refund through my credit card company for the hat repair service costs. Disappointingly, Mike The Hatter has not contacted me in over a month regarding my lost hat. I stopped calling them because I was tired of being brushed off. I'm now accepting that the hat is gone for good. I hope that it will show up one day on my front porch with a note of appology, but I'm not holding my breath.

Scott

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I think at this point I'd send the owner a letter (return receipt required) letting him know that I will be searching for a comparable hat and when it's located, I will send him an invoice for the cost, including both hat + shipping.

Then do so. And don't skimp on your bid if you go the Ebay route, as Mike the Hatter will be paying.

Remember there is always small claims court if he disputes. I suggest that you print out this entire thread, and document everything possible. He may dispute your assertions but the chronological thread (which could also be viewed in court) will lend weight to your story. The time stamps on each post will demonstrate the time you've given the merchant to make good on this.

Scott

New in Town
Pilgrim said:
I think at this point I'd send the owner a letter (return receipt required) letting him know that I will be searching for a comparable hat and when it's located, I will send him an invoice for the cost, including both hat + shipping.

Then do so. And don't skimp on your bid if you go the Ebay route, as Mike the Hatter will be paying.

Remember there is always small claims court if he disputes. I suggest that you print out this entire thread, and document everything possible. He may dispute your assertions but the chronological thread (which could also be viewed in court) will lend weight to your story. The time stamps on each post will demonstrate the time you've given the merchant to make good on this.

Thanks for your reply.

Honestly, I don't think there is a comparable hat considering the sentimental value. In fact, if it were just a matter of replacing a hat, it would be no big deal.

Scott

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sentimental Value

You cannot put a dollar amount on "sentimental value" in most small claims courts. And there is an inherent difficulty in suing someone out of state. The internet is a great way to conduct business and find things you otherwise could not.

This is like a woman sending her wedding dress in for a cleaning, and it is destroyed/lost. She can ask for reasonable compensation, but not the "sentimental value".

A well written letter, with the enclosed eBay purchase that replaced the hat, may bring you the "value" of the hat from the cleaners.

Side note: I would never send any hat to a "dry cleaners". You would be better off going to the paint store for a can of Naptha. To truly clean a hat properly, it has to be disassembled, cleaned and blocked, and then have the liner and sweatband re-sewn in. For this, I would only use OPTIMO in Chicago.

(I visited Graham at Optimo on a Thursday, which was "clean and block day" )
...very interesting process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner