Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Mileage out of an old Open Road

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I bought this Open Road a number of years ago, it's nothing special. It looks like every other tan Open Road I have, so it has been seldom worn. I remembered that years ago I had bought some panama hat ribbons from Bernie Utz in Seattle and had them stored away. I got the maroon one out and attached it to the Open Road and now it looks like a totally different hat with a summer look to it. These ribbons attach really easy and go on right over the top of the sewn on one, so I can take it off and attach one of a different color in a matter of minutes. The first pic was taken outside so the felt looks lighter than the other pics, but it is the same hat.

I now have a different flavor of fedora to wear this summer with my Hawaiian shirt collection I have been adding to this winter from my many visits to Goodwill.

DSCN0463.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_18.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_19.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_20.jpg

fedoralover

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
I bought this Open Road a number of years ago, it's nothing special. It looks like every other tan Open Road I have, so it has been seldom worn. I remembered that years ago I had bought some panama hat ribbons from Bernie Utz in Seattle and had them stored away. I got the maroon one out and attached it to the Open Road and now it looks like a totally different hat with a summer look to it. These ribbons attach really easy and go on right over the top of the sewn on one, so I can take it off and attach one of a different color in a matter of minutes. The first pic was taken outside so the felt looks lighter than the other pics, but it is the same hat.

I now have a different flavor of fedora to wear this summer with my Hawaiian shirt collection I have been adding to this winter from my many visits to Goodwill.

DSCN0463.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_18.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_19.jpg

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_20.jpg

fedoralover

Wow! That's an impressive instant makeover on that Fed. It went from Arizona to the Carribean in 2 minutes!:eek: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice!

RJ:)

ryang

New in Town
fedoralover - I dig the makeover:eusa_clap . Now we just need to see it on you with one of those hawaiian shirts (I gotta pick up a shirt like that for this summer).

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The thing is, I have about 6 or 7 thin ribbon fedora's already. The maroon ribbon was a way to vary it a bit and it seemed to fit the hawaiian shirt style a little better. And it takes literally 30 seconds to remove.

fedoralover

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
It really does look much different and has that Summer "feel" to it,FedoraLover. I think you`ve hit on a nice and slightly more upscale alternative to the Summer straw fedora there! I`m also a hawaiian shirt lover so I may have to follow in your example come the hot weather. ;)

HMH

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No offence...

fedoralover said:
The thing is, I have about 6 or 7 thin ribbon fedora's already. The maroon ribbon was a way to vary it a bit and it seemed to fit the hawaiian shirt style a little better. And it takes literally 30 seconds to remove.
fedoralover

I am just coveting a climate where felt is even an option past the end of March!:eusa_doh:

Like the song says: "A'way down South in the land of cotton, felt hats by March are long forgotton, look away, look away, Dixieland" ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I think it's great. But, even better, is the fact that you can grow that bamboo out there in the Pacific Northwest. I love it! :)

Cheers,
JtL

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
I think it's great. But, even better, is the fact that you can grow that bamboo out there in the Pacific Northwest. I love it! :)

Cheers,
JtL
the difficulty in general with bamboo is not getting it to grow, but rather keeping it from taking over one's yard.

oh, and nice ribbon.

Pilot99

Familiar Face
fedoralover said:
Love it or hate it, here it is in the setting I had in mind.

IMG20071102_20050101_0001_21.jpg

fedoralover

Looks great man, top marks. I've always been partial to Hawaiian shirts so that gives me a few ideas of my own. Nothing wrong with trying something different, that's why we have so many great hat styles throughout the years. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm torn. Part of it, I think is just the camera. You said maroon, but it looks more pink to me. I think it would look much more refined in real life, assuming it's darker. I've never been a thin ribbon guy, myself, or one for pug ribbons, either. So if it was mine, I'd have gone for the classic bow tie ribbon. But it's not mine. It's yours, so the only opinion that really counts is yours. But I do admit, it goes well with your tropical-ish theme. And nice bamboo. I've never had luck with the stuff; I had some bonsai like plants before, but I killed them all. :( GC will probably murder me for it! :eek:

flute

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff