Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Orleans

Great music is everywhere. In the Quarter, try Fritzel's. They have live "hot jazz" (Dixieland) every night, I think.

I love Arnaud's for food, but it's a little pricey. There are many great food places, some famous, some holes in the wall. If it's 3 am when you're craving a beignet, go to Café Du Monde. Café Beignet is also good, and not nearly as crowded, though they're not open 24 hours.

The official cocktail of New Orleans is the sazerac, which is similar to an old fashioned. Lots of hotel and finer restaurant bars make excellent ones. You can also go to the Old Absinthe House and get the whole deal with the spoon and sugar and what not (just not "real" absinthe, of course).

I have no idea on guitars shops.

Other? Have fun and enjoy their hospitality. Nawlins is all about forgetting your troubles. They are glad you're there and they let you know it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I haven't been post Katrina but Commander's Palace was my favorite for fine dining. They have a well stocked bar offering classic cocktails but I wouldn't call it 'craft'.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
If you're going to NOLA you really should try the Poulet Bon Femme at Antoine's. I'd reccomend the Foie Gras as appetizer. It is simply spectacular.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Great music is everywhere. In the Quarter, try Fritzel's. They have live "hot jazz" (Dixieland) every night, I think.

I love Arnaud's for food, but it's a little pricey. There are many great food places, some famous, some holes in the wall. If it's 3 am when you're craving a beignet, go to Café Du Monde. Café Beignet is also good, and not nearly as crowded, though they're not open 24 hours.

The official cocktail of New Orleans is the sazerac, which is similar to an old fashioned. Lots of hotel and finer restaurant bars make excellent ones. You can also go to the Old Absinthe House and get the whole deal with the spoon and sugar and what not (just not "real" absinthe, of course). . . .

HH,
I have a vacation in New Orleans coming up soon too, so I also thank you for the recommendations. I've been doing some research in preparation but hadn't heard of Fritzel's, Café Beigne, or the Old Absinthe House.

. . . Off topic, but why wouldn't Absinthe House serve real absinthe?

MK,
Here are some places recommended to me by folks in the know:

For good cocktails, the Napoleon House Bar & Cafe and Arnaud's French 75 bar, located in Arnaud's Restaurant were both suggested to me by a friend who is a well known mixologist, in S.F.

For midday meals, I've heard Casamento's, in Irish Channel, is good for its fried fish sandwiches and that the Central Grocery, in the French Quarter, makes some of the best deli sandwiches in town. Both places are old businesses in vintage buildings.

As far as dinner restaurants, the big names seem to have all been covered, although, I might add Galatoire's Restaurant and Antoine's Restaurant to the list, which I hear are both much in the same vein as Arnaud's.

Of course, I must add the disclaimer that I've not been to any of these places myself, as my upcoming trip will be my first time to New Orleans!

Last edited:
HH,
I have a vacation in New Orleans coming up soon too, so I also thank you for the recommendations. I've been doing some research in preparation but hadn't heard of Fritzel's, Café Beigne, or the Old Absinthe House.

. . . Off topic, but why wouldn't Absinthe House serve real absinthe?

Depending on who you ask, "real" absinthe is illegal in the US, the "real" part being up for debate. Absinthe in the US must be "thujone free", and some argue that it's therefore not "real". "Free" doesn't mean containing 0 percent, however, so the liquor nerds like to quibble over it.

For good cocktails, the Napoleon House Bar & Cafe and Arnaud's French 75 bar, located in Arnaud's Restaurant were both suggested to me by a friend who is a well known mixologist, in S.F.

For midday meals, I've heard Casamento's, in Irish Channel, is good for its fried fish sandwiches and that the Central Grocery, in the French Quarter, makes some of the best deli sandwiches in town. Both places are old businesses in vintage buildings.

As far as dinner restaurants, the big names seem to have all been covered, although, I might add Galatoire's Restaurant and Antoine's Restaurant to the list, which I hear are both much in the same vein as Arnaud's.

Galatoire's is now more famous for there being a ridiculously long wait than it is for the food. Antoine's is famous for being famous. They're both good, but not as good as Arnaud's, in my opinion, humble as it is.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Depending on who you ask, "real" absinthe is illegal in the US, the "real" part being up for debate. Absinthe in the US must be "thujone free", and some argue that it's therefore not "real". "Free" doesn't mean containing 0 percent, however, so the liquor nerds like to quibble over it.

Galatoire's is now more famous for there being a ridiculously long wait than it is for the food. Antoine's is famous for being famous. They're both good, but not as good as Arnaud's, in my opinion, humble as it is.

I appreciate the additonal tips about wait times. I surmised that some of the old line spots are geared towards tourist trade these days, but confirmation allows for planning ahead. Thanks!

Regarding absinthe, the company that owns the Lucid Absinthe brand challenged the legality of the ban in the last decade or so and prevailed in court. Since then, imports and sales of absenthe in the U.S. have be legal. Likewise, Switzerland and France have repealed their bans as well. The only stipulation being legally codified allowable ratios of the active ingredient in wormwood and proof. In the case of the Swiss, so very many old family distilleries illicitly produced absenthe unchanged and uninterrupted that an amnesty agreement was offered whereby no legal repercussions were incurred, as long as back taxes were paid.

I wasn't sure if you meant Louisiana had unique laws. I know their laws governing alchohol are not parallel to other states (24 hour service, limited open container control, lower minimum age until recent times, etc.)

I wasn't sure if you meant Louisiana had unique laws. I know their laws governing alchohol are not parallel to other states (24 hour service, limited open container control, lower minimum age until recent times, etc.)

No, I meant there's always a discussion around the bar about absinthe's authenticity due to the limits on the thujone content. But yes, Louisiana has some different alcohol laws. It's perfectly acceptable to walk down the street drinking whatever (in fact they look at you funny if you're not), and there is no limit on when places can sell. No legal limit anyway. At the Old Absinthe House, the bartender told me that they may close at 2:00 am, maybe 8:00 am, just "depends on when people leave". He said they do have to close for 1 hour a day, however, but that's for business reasons, so that they can download the information from their computerized registers and stuff. Otherwise, it's laissez les bon temps rouler!

Mr.Astor

Banned
Great place for music "Mulattes" best zydeco Cajun good food also. Best place to mix with locals "galatoires" on Friday night at 5 upstairs bar. Summer full of boaters seersucker suits great bar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats