Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Owner of a Cheap Hat, fit issue

Heirphoto

New in Town
Okay, I am not much of a hat guy and wanted a cheap Indy style fedora for very occasional use. I did it against bettr advice, I got an eBay Indy for $33. Not a bad looking hat really from the outside (other than the Indy pin), inside is pretty basic, no lining, basic sweatband, nice shade of brown and pretty stiff. It is also a tad large. My head size puts me right between most makers medium and large sizes. I was in an Irish shop buying a well made hat and had the same problem, medium is a tad tight, larges is well, large.
So now that I fessed up on the ebay hat and provided I can still be a member of this list <g>how can I get a better fit. A little felt behind the sweat band or actually folding the band over ?
BTW, I don't dare post this on COW !
Tony (cheapskate) Miller

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm, I would say the best thing to do is to keep it as it is and then wait for a very windy day and wear it outside, then walk straight into the wind and that should take care of the problem.

smile,

fedoralover

android

One of the Regulars
Wearing it may cause it to tighten up a bit. You could also try hitting it with some steam from the tea kettle, but very, very lightly since it is most likely wool and too much will cause it to get soggy and fall apart.

I'm not here to give you grief, but most hat lovers don't consider anything that comes in S, M, L, XL a "well made hat."

Good Luck!

Heirphoto

New in Town
Really, really feeling glad I didn't post this to COW !

I put a thin band of leather between the sweatband and hat and it fits much better, I will play with it fior a while and if the hat thing grows on me I guess I will get a good one.

Works well enough for me, just wanted a cheap fedora which is exactly what I got.....a cheap fedora...but I knew this going in. I am sure some people thought they were getting a masterpiece from the sellers description though. It is nicer than the ones in the local "Hats in the Belfrey" shop here in town for $49.95.

Tony

Heirphoto said:
Really, really feeling glad I didn't post this to COW !

I put a thin band of leather between the sweatband and hat and it fits much better, I will play with it fior a while and if the hat thing grows on me I guess I will get a good one.

Works well enough for me, just wanted a cheap fedora which is exactly what I got.....a cheap fedora...but I knew this going in. I am sure some people thought they were getting a masterpiece from the sellers description though. It is nicer than the ones in the local "Hats in the Belfrey" shop here in town for $49.95.

I am glad I read this nearly as it was posted. It is not a good idea to put leather behind a leather sweatband because the leather behind the sweatband will suck moisture out of the sweatband and cause it to become dry and deteriorate. I have seen this a few times in my experience. That is why the hatters and hat shops in the old days used cork backed felt pieces behind the sweatband. These materials were inert and did not damage to the sweatband. Just a suggestion that might make your hat experience much more pleasant.
Whatever hat you have is going to be just fine. A hat is a hat and they all serve the same purpose. Most people nowadays do not know the difference anyway. :rolleyes: The thing is that you know the difference. ;)
Here's to many miles of usage on that new hat. You couldn't choose a better season to start using it. :)

Regards to all,

J

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I have two suggestions for you:

1) If there is a hat shop in the area (not one that just sells them but makes them as well) go in and ask them for some sizing felt or scraps of felt from cut brim. Cut it to about 1-inch wide and about 2 to 3-inches long and put it behind the sweatband.

2) Go to a musical instrument dealer that also does repairs on woodwind instruments (clarinets, saxophones, etc) and ask for some tenon cork. It comes in various thicknesses from 0.4 mm to 3.18 mm (1/64" to 1/8"). Cut this down to 1-inch wide strips and to whatever length you need. Below is a link to some tenon cork so you know what it looks like. It is not expensive and the instrument shop may just give you some (usually they have some scraps left over). Make sure you ask for NATURAL SHEET TENON CORK, and not synthetic cork. This is what I use in my hats. It is usually more flexible than felt and since it is thinner it can go around the inside of the hat further, giving it a more natural feel.

Tenon cork

I hope this helps.

Heirphoto

New in Town
James, BD,
Thanks for the tips. I do have very thin cork here used for gaskets. This is the real cork (harder to find) not synthetic and I can try that. As for the leather behind the leather sweatband, well, I could only wish the sweatband was leather (grin). It looks to be "leather look" lacquered cardstock. The leather I added seems to be the only leather on the hat.

I will try the cork. I do like the look of a hat though!

Thanks,
Tony

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on your new hat. I am glad the fellows told you about cork. I have a new hat that is a 7 1/8 and was a bit loose (you can also be an in-between even with the standard sizes, depending on the hat and hatmaker. I can wear a 7 in some Stetsons, but not others; mostly I wear a 7 1/8). I tried on the official Indy hats, both the fur felt one and the wool hats and had the same problem. Seven was way too tight, 7 1/2 was too loose)

I finally bought an Iconoclast from Village Hat Shop, which is supposed to be their Indy-style hat. It is not the "official" Indy hat, but was $74 and is a sharp looking hat. I wore it loose for a day and it tightened up.

There are a number of folks on this site who seek out hats that don't break their bank account, I am one of them. But I also own a couple of fancy hats, too. It is a matter of what you want from a hat and/or what you can afford. Lots of us bid on vintage fedoras on ebay and I found an old Borsalino hat in an antique shop for $30 some years back. We are hat hunters here and for many of us, our biggest thrill is finding that rare vintage hat for a pittance.

Welcome!

karol

Heirphoto

New in Town
KD, thanks foryour thoughts. I have nothing against good hats and for one I would wear regularly I would pay a mint! The fedora is a once in a while thing for me. A nice Irish tweed cap or even a flapped Deerstalker in just the right pattern would have me digging deep in my pockets. For those which I wear often only the best will do.
The eBay fedora is nice enough for me....for now anyway.
Tony

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Canadave said:
This is counter-intuitive...how does it work? (I've had hats loosen with wear.)

David

Sometimes, the combination of heat and moisture will cause the sweatband to "shrink-up" a bit. It is the same effect at the "lamp shade" method to shrink a hat down.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
That is what happened to me. The day I bought the Jaxon Inconoclast fedora, the weather was fairly cool in the a.m. but then warmed up and my head got hot and sweaty. Later, I realized the hat fit better. Now, it fits just like a real 7 1/8 and conforms to my head.

I am glad to know about the cork. Want to try it with a hat I have that is too large. I don't like the feel of those puffy inserts the hat shop sells or felt strips.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany