Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Pork Pie; Need Opinion

NW Trojan

Practically Family
Lousy photo quality, but hopefully you get the picture...

Good, Fair or Poor look?

Photo-0259.jpg

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I have one like that I wear it with the front of the brim down. Which is the way my wife likes it. I get lots of WOW love your hat when I wear. So I guess it is working for me. Don't worry about the hat model I have a picture of me with my glasses on that looks just like the Hat Model in the Photos.:)

fmw

One Too Many
I like pork pies with the front down near the eybrows. For you, I might suggest not pulling it down so far on the back of your head or pad the sweatband if it's a little large. Seems like a great hat and great look to me.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It looks fine on you, but I cant make out the details of the hat. I agree you are wearing it a little low. Also, try the brimfront down and see what you think. I have hats that I leave as is and others that Im always messing with.

Is it too big? Does it rest on your ears? If so, you can pad the sweat until it shrinks up a bit from wear. This, of course, is assuming that it a new (unworn for any length of time) hat.

Torpedo

One Too Many
I agree it seems to lie too low.

Proportions are right. Well, that's how I like my own porpies anyway ;) . I sometimes wear the brim up all around (only with casual outfits), but generally prefer the front down.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I'd agree with most of this post, looks a little large and low. I'd like to see some pics with the brim down and I think I prefer the heavy framed glasses but without color I can't say for sure. How wide is the brim? It's a good looking hat! I love wearing my porks, I seem to get more attention to them than I do with my fedoras.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I like the first photo best. The brim is tipped down a bit and the hat sits well on your head. It makes you look mysterious and a little mean :)

troy

One of the Regulars
I'm a brim up guy all the time, and I think it's a great look. I do agree that it's sitting a bit low in these pictures. Nice hat!

fmw

One Too Many
As some of you may know, Charles Mingus wrote a jazz tune called Goodbye Pork Pie Hat that became a standard. It was written in memory of saxophonist Lester Young who had made the pork pie popular among jazz musicians. Here's an article about Young and his famous hat.

Lester.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Lousy photo quality, but hopefully you get the picture...

Good, Fair or Poor look?

Photo-0259.jpg

I think you and you woman both look great! Personally, I don't think it is too far forward at all. It looks like your brim is just barely riding on your ears. I am guessing that you could wear a size that is slightly smaller than the standard sizes (ie: the lower portion of the 71/8" size). I can wear a 71/8 and it is usually a little loose. A size 7 is a little too tight. I like my hats to be a little loose, just like I like my jeans. It is hard to find a hat right off the rack that fits perfectly, that is why I use Gary White http://www.custom-hatter.com to make my hats. He knows what fits me.
I am 22 inches exactly, which puts me between a size 7 and 71/8".

Circumference of American Sizes*
American Sizes--English Sizes---French Sizes-----Metric Sizes----- Nearest Inches----64ths-------8ths
7-----------------6 7/8------------ 4 1/2-------------56----------------21.8750------21.56/64---21 7/8
7 1/8------------ 7-----------------5-----------------57----------------22.2677------22 17/64---22 2/8

There is a 0.3927 variance.
Remember, wearing a hat is a personal thing. Some of these guys on the FL won't wear a hat unless it is tilted far to the side. Are they wrong? No, it is just a personal thing.

If it feels comfortable to you and you like it, wear it, and you two go out and have some fun!.........Dennis

Last edited:

NW Trojan

Practically Family
Thanks, DRB. My head size is 23", which is 7 3/8. This hat actually feels a tad tight, but I have a tendency to want to wear hats lower, but not on top of the ear. I will check out your shop link. Appreciate your comments. Big help!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo