Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Remix Playshoes - A Critique

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
http://www.remixvintageshoes.com/40splatformwedg.html

Hi Ladies,
I ordered a pair of the new remix playshoes (The Pathway) in red and I love the way they look! I got them at the introductory price of something like $97.

Here’s what I think:

The red leather is a darker, more muted red than most of the reds in my vintage clothes, so I’m going to wear them with ‘40s denim and other outfits that won’t clash with the shoes. The cut of the shoe is not sexy; they’re more clunky than their normal wedges, but they’re really, really cute.

They run large. I just barely get away with wearing a size 7 in Remix wedges, and wear a 7.5 in all of my other shoes, but I wear a comfortable size 7 in the play shoes.

Oh brother, are they slippery! I’m dreading wearing these out of the house because I know I’ll meet the sidewalk in an ugly way. The soles are no different than the other wedges, which are crazy slippery, but these shoes are a little more stiff, which makes me slip on the back of my heel. I almost fell down on my hardwood floor when I tried them on! I’ve got to think of something to make these less dangerous for me.

All-in-all I like the shoes, but I wouldn’t wait for them to become as expensive as their other shoes. If they’re still on sale when I get paid again I may pick up another pair in green, just because I’m a shoeaholic. I'm also going to grab the Dara's in yellow, or shoot, maybe red, too.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Thanks Rebbeca--this is just the info I needed to buy a pair of the Pathway as well--in black. I'm going to go down a size based on your feedback.

Perfect! Thanks!

Oh no, and I saw that they have another darling pair too! The Dara! Oh my, they are just button cute too!

Rosie

One Too Many
Rebecca, the shoe store sells these sole pad thingies (that's a technical term) that are kind of rough on the bottom, they are VERY good for slippery soled shoes. That or just scratch your soles on some gravel-y concrete, that usually does the trick.

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Rebecca,

Do the Pathway shoes run a true size? I am thinking of buying the Dara shoes, they are similar to the Pathways. But I am not sure with the size. Phil from remix shoes told me that he suggests me to take size 10 but I take normally size 11.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Rosie said:
Rebecca, the shoe store sells these sole pad thingies (that's a technical term) that are kind of rough on the bottom, they are VERY good for slippery soled shoes. That or just scratch your soles on some gravel-y concrete, that usually does the trick.

Hmmm....I'm going to have to look into this. Thanks for the advice.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
You could try slicing the sole a bit with a knife/cheese grater, sounds crazy but it works! Just a bit as to not damage the shoe and it will help the sole have more of a grip.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
Uh Oh Rosie, don't go getting technical on me now!:)
I have used these "thingies" too, and they are a life saver, or in my case a face saver for I have a few pairs of shoes that I should have worn on my face for that was the part of my body that met the sidewalk when I wore them. They really do the trick. Also, I have sandpapered the bottoms of some of my more slippery shoes, and that seemed to work well too.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have used these "thingies" too, and they are a life saver, or in my case a face saver for I have a few pairs of shoes that I should have worn on my face for that was the part of my body that met the sidewalk when I wore them. They really do the trick. Also, I have sandpapered the bottoms of some of my more slippery shoes, and that seemed to work well too.

That made me laugh, Daisy! But alas, I can relate, especially when it comes to navigating the stairs. And I agree--both sandpaper and the pads you stick on the soles of your shoes help to reduce the occurrence of embarrassing falls :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
So, I just ordered a pair of the Pathways and spent a good deal of time on the phone with Cliff I believe sussing out what size I am.

I usually order a size 10 in Remix shoes and had to go down to a size 9 in the Pathway shoe. I stood on my ruler to get the actual length of my foot--10 inches. When I innocently held the ruler up to my foot it was 9 inches, but then I remembered those old fashion metal shoe sizer thingies and stood on the ruler for a more real measurement of my foot.

So, I should get them in the mail by the end of the week. So excited!

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
I also purchsed a pair of the Pathway design. I ordered them over the phone and Philip was very helpful about the sizing. Pathway is the only design that comes up large in the Remix range. I usually buy a size 8 from Remix and Philip advised the 7's and yes they are just fine. Most of the Remix shoes have a leather or shiny polished sole (for dancing I presume) and as I want them for street wear, I always put a rubber sole on them myself. Here in the UK we still have Woolworth's and I'm able to go in and buy these stick-on rubber soles which come complete with rubber cememnt glue. It was easy to get the beige coloured one sonce but now these are rare and only black seem to be in stock. Anyway, you need to rough up the surface first (a little metal cheese grater style tool is supplied for this) then cut the rubber to size and put glue on both the shoes and rubber pad surfaces. Wait till the glue goes off and then carefully stick the rubber to the shoe. Presto - non slip shoes for a fraction of the price the shoes mender will charge you.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I just received my pair of Pathways too. They are so button cute I can't stand them!

They are a bit stiff to begin with, but I'm sure with more wearing, they'll be fine. I bet they will feel much more comfy with a pair of little white bobby sock with the cuff turned down.

How cute and vintagey will those be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats