Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Scammer alert: Jerseyfresh1 / Michael Triolo

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
Hate to report this, but I believe we have a new scammer in Jerseyfresh1/Michael Triolo. As some of you know, I had a thread for John Lofgren Devil's Causeway engineer boots up for many months. Link to thread here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-ft-john-lofgren-“devil’s-causeway”-engineer-boots-9-5d-brown-dark-cherry-shinki-horsebutt-bnib.109580/#post-2983154

Received a message from Jerseyfresh1 asking to buy them at my asking price. They had posted on my thread a question about the sizing, and I had responded in my PM back to him. My response is here in this image attached where I say what the sizing is, and he agrees and seems fine with it.

Although I had asked for Paypal f&f, he sent it by standard Paypal where I was charged a fee. I asked him about it, and he followed up with an additional payment to make up the difference for the commission to Paypal. I sent the package by Fedex and asked him to let me know when he got them. He didn't contact me after I got a delivery confirmation message so I messaged him to confirm he received them. He confirmed receipt and said they are tight boots. I said to try the plastic bag trick I learned from Clinch to help get on new engineer boots.

Today, my Uber account says my Paypal payment was declined. I login to Paypal to find that this buyer Jerseyfresh1/Michael Triolo (at least that's the name he used through Paypal) has filed a Paypal complaint, sent a photo of a foot not fitting in the shoe, and says that I didn't send him what I advertised (new in box 9.5D JL boots that fit Brannock 10). At no point did he contact me to discuss, and I had included my cell phone in the package when shipped to him. Then I check TFL, and I see that he has deleted his posts on my thread (I didn't know you could do this) where he shows interest in these boots. Interestingly, he also started a separate conversation with me in TFL which has since disappeared from my Conversations. Now my Paypal account is defaulted by the full amount of the sale. I just sent followup information to Paypal to rebut this, but it's such a hassle and I don't know what will happen. To me this is a buyer who at the very least is handling things in a terrible way but I believe I'm in the middle of an attempted scam. Mods, perhaps you can confirm that he deleted posts.

I would be very careful with this buyer. Hopefully Paypal sorts out this mess, but now he's got my boots and my money on some Paypal dispute. If anybody has any additional helpful suggestions please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_1222.PNG
    IMG_1222.PNG
    489.2 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

BassandB3

One of the Regulars

Jasonissm

Practically Family
This Jerseyfresh guy.... If you don't know your size, just pay the extra and get it from a retail store! (Probably sized off his Nike size lol) Screw that guy, he cheaped out on a second hand sale, the expectation is no refunds/exchanges and probably just wants to force the Paypal return when he finds out it doesn't fit.

I hope Paypal sides in your favour, because the marked size corresponds with what's marked on the boot or shoebox.

From what Paypal page says he should have no ground to stand on if everything is described correctly upon sale. With shoe size, this is pretty indisputable unless you gave measurements which a wildly inaccurate or something, but with printed shoe size, that's pretty set in stone!

1677715263997.png

Just know that even if Paypal sides in his favour, they won't force the refund until he returns the boots (hopefully he hasn't scratched them up or anything). Same situation happened to me, and even though they sided with the buyer, he didn't bother sending them back so the sale stuck.

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
Sorry friend. Since you accept the pay pal payment (buissness transaction) pay pal will give him protection an deduct the payment from you. Please learn from this. Never accept any payment beside pay pal f&f . There is a reason why everyone accept this payment type here. If anyone sends you regular pay pal payment here then refund them immediately an demand f&f or no sale. Sorry brother.

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Sorry friend. Since you accept the pay pal payment (buissness transaction) pay pal will give him protection an deduct the payment from you. Please learn from this. Never accept any payment beside pay pal f&f . There is a reason why everyone accept this payment type here. If anyone sends you regular pay pal payment here then refund them immediately an demand f&f or no sale. Sorry brother.
Yip I've done this twice over the years on the forum, returned buyers money. Too easy for a buyer to get your stuff for free. New in town,, warning bells go off if the don't do f&f, shame but that's how it goes I'm afraid.

Damon141

Practically Family
Wouldn’t he have to send the boots back in order to keep the money?

Contact the Better business Bureau immediately with a complaint against PayPal, this will get their attention immediately!!

Then you will be able to correspond with someone who can get problems solved instead than an overseas customer service representative or some slob sitting on their sofa at home eating frozen pizza while handling your complaint.

I don’t see how PayPal can side with him when size is clearly marked, PayPal knows these types of scams exist and anyone who has bought shoes before know that every single manufacturer will not have the same fit in a certain size.

You simply can’t keep merchandise because it doesn’t fit.

How do these scumbags even know this board exists

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
This Jerseyfresh guy.... If you don't know your size, just pay the extra and get it from a retail store! (Probably sized off his Nike size lol) Screw that guy, he cheaped out on a second hand sale, the expectation is no refunds/exchanges and probably just wants to force the Paypal return when he finds out it doesn't fit.

I hope Paypal sides in your favour, because the marked size corresponds with what's marked on the boot or shoebox.

From what Paypal page says he should have no ground to stand on if everything is described correctly upon sale. With shoe size, this is pretty indisputable unless you gave measurements which a wildly inaccurate or something, but with printed shoe size, that's pretty set in stone!

View attachment 494150

Just know that even if Paypal sides in his favour, they won't force the refund until he returns the boots (hopefully he hasn't scratched them up or anything). Same situation happened to me, and even though they sided with the buyer, he didn't bother sending them back so the

Wouldn’t he have to send the boots back in order to keep the money?

Contact the Better business Bureau immediately with a complaint against PayPal, this will get their attention immediately!!

Then you will be able to correspond with someone who can get problems solved instead than an overseas customer service representative or some slob sitting on their sofa at home eating frozen pizza while handling your complaint.

I don’t see how PayPal can side with him when size is clearly marked, PayPal knows these types of scams exist and anyone who has bought shoes before know that every single manufacturer will not have the same fit in a certain size.

You simply can’t keep merchandise because it doesn’t fit.

How do these scumbags even know this board exists
Sir if im not mistaken the seller said the buyer said "they didn't fit" . That same seller told pay pal, "I didn't get what was advertised/ordored" . There is a big difference. The buyer got pay pal buyer protection by sending pay pal business payment instead of f&f . Remember there is no buyer protection when sending funds f&f.

Damon141

Practically Family
Sir if im not mistaken the seller said the buyer said "they didn't fit" . That same seller told pay pal, "I didn't get what was advertised/ordored" . There is a big difference. The buyer got pay pal buyer protection by sending pay pal business payment instead of f&f . Remember there is no buyer protection when sending funds f&f.
I’m not a professional at the ways of PayPal, I only use it from time to time to check out faster with online purchases at retail online stores so I’m uncertain of the rules.

So you are saying that a buyer can just say “it was not as advertised” and get their money back?

I would just assume that if you show the listing along with the product in question then PayPal would side with the buyer or this would be a legitimate source of revenue for every fraudster scammer in the world.

I would still contact BBB against PayPal because I’ve had a favorable outcome from most problems I have had with companies giving me the runaround

Jasonissm

Practically Family
That's the thing though, "they didn't fit" isn't any criteria or grounds for refund so his reason doesn't work out. From the original post: "Paypal complaint, sent a photo of a foot not fitting in the shoe, and says that I didn't send him what I advertised (new in box 9.5D JL boots that fit Brannock 10)"

Won't know until OP post more details, but if that's all he put, then in theory, Paypal should side with the seller. At the very least, they will require a return and confirm receipt for the refund to be processed.

If it simply doesn't fit, Paypal won't side with you unless you give a proper reason that is objectively the sellers fault e.g. wrong colour, condition not described properly, mark size different from what was ordered, etc. I've called Paypal and they have explained this to me previously.

BassandB3

One of the Regulars
I sent him exactly what I described! I sent photos and other email correspondence to PayPal where he agrees to a 9.5D boot that is recommended to fit a Brannock 10. Will update once I have it. I really can’t see how PayPal will think I did anything wrong here. I have photos of the box with size printed, the boots with size on the sole, and the email chain where buyer agrees to the sizing as described. Thanks for the support everybody!

I’m not a professional at the ways of PayPal, I only use it from time to time to check out faster with online purchases at retail online stores so I’m uncertain of the rules.

So you are saying that a buyer can just say “it was not as advertised” and get their money back?

Not exactly, no. The buyer who feels he/she was wronged must prove to the people at PayPal that the item(s) they received does not match the listing in a significant way. For example, if these boots were advertised as being "Size 9" but were actually size 11, submitting proof of that would usually be enough for PayPal to step in and mediate some sort of "settlement".

Jasonissm

Practically Family
If you did Paypal F&F, would his scam still work?
No, there is no Buyer Protection, the only way they can return their money is via credit card chargeback which is more difficult as a buyer and takes a few months. Needs significantly more proof, etc. and in some cases a police report, or similar, so it is very rare. Also, I believe doing a credit card/bank chargeback violates Paypal TOS so it would also put their account in jeopardy.

Last edited:

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
That's the thing though, "they didn't fit" isn't any criteria or grounds for refund so his reason doesn't work out. From the original post: "Paypal complaint, sent a photo of a foot not fitting in the shoe, and says that I didn't send him what I advertised (new in box 9.5D JL boots that fit Brannock 10)"

Won't know until OP post more details, but if that's all he put, then in theory, Paypal should side with the seller. At the very least, they will require a return and confirm receipt for the refund to be processed.

If it simply doesn't fit, Paypal won't side with you unless you give a proper reason that is objectively the sellers fault e.g. wrong colour, condition not described properly, mark size different from what was ordered, etc. I've called Paypal and they have explained this to me previously.
If you read closely what the seller said. The buyer told PayPal " He (seller) didn't Send what was advertised"! 9.5 New in box boots that fit 10 brannock. Size is not the main claim. PayPal will side with buyer because he made a claim he didn't get what was advertised for sell. It sucks but PayPal honors their buyer protection. If selling on lounge accept f&f.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ