Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Schott 118 - Leather Dye Transfer Issue

incanus

New in Town
Hello, everyone. I recently purchased a Schott Perfecto 118. I am very happy with the fit of the jacket (pics included below; feel free to let me know what you think) and the quality of the leather. However, I have experienced some leather dye transfer from the jacket, particulary on the part that rubs against my trousers. I have noticed this on two light colored chinos (khaki and grey). I emailed Schott customer service and Jerri Reyes informed me that the naked cowhide used in the 118 will have "some transfer" to light colored clothing, "much like raw denim" transfers dye.

Have any of you experienced similar leather dye transfer with Schott naked cowhide or other naked leathers? If so, is this something that will diminish as the jacket ages? Finally, is there something I can do to minimize or eliminate this dye transfer?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 11.28.34.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 11.28.34.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 242
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 11.28.44.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 11.28.44.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 217
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-20 at 11.02.07.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-20 at 11.02.07.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 236

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Congrats! Iconic jacket and a great fit on you (as far as the pix allow to tell). Doesn’t really get much better than that!

Yes, some bleed of colour happens, especially on rub-areas. It will stop eventually (and be worse, if you get into a rainstorm). Not with all leathers and certainly not with all to the same extent, but I’d view it as pretty normal as long as it’s not excessive.

I wasn’t aware that anything but blue or black denim was allowed with a Perfecto, so I don’t really get the “light coloured Chino” point in the first place. ;)

incanus

New in Town
Congrats! Iconic jacket and a great fit on you (as far as the pix allow to tell). Doesn’t really get much better than that!

Yes, some bleed of colour happens, especially on rub-areas. It will stop eventually (and be worse, if you get into a rainstorm). Not with all leathers and certainly not with all to the same extent, but I’d view it as pretty normal as long as it’s not excessive.

I wasn’t aware that anything but blue or black denim was allowed with a Perfecto, so I don’t really get the “light coloured Chino” point in the first place. ;)
Thanks for the feedback! And duly noted on the styling reccomendation! Honestly, once I received the jacket I wanted to wear it everyday, even to the office!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've experienced that with a few jackets over the years - usually while newer, never anything that didn't wash out easily.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the feedback! And duly noted on the styling reccomendation! Honestly, once I received the jacket I wanted to wear it everyday, even to the office!

Who am I to comment on style… Wear what you like, and if it’s leather, you’ve come to the right place!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
naked leather will bleed a bit. While it's normal its a pain in the ass. When it does it's laundry day by neccessity. Finished (topcoat) leather is stiffer but don't have this issue. You can seal the naked leather yourself if you'd like. Most leather shops will do this for you for a fee or spend an afternoon with some sweat equity.

incanus

New in Town
naked leather will bleed a bit. While it's normal its a pain in the ass. When it does it's laundry day by neccessity. Finished (topcoat) leather is stiffer but don't have this issue. You can seal the naked leather yourself if you'd like. Most leather shops will do this for you for a fee or spend an afternoon with some sweat equity.
Thanks for the feedback. Jerri Reyes from Schott recommended this product, but I am not sure if it is for sealing the leather, as well:

https://www.moebelpflegeshop.de/en/...10?PHPSESSID=f699c59859d5b0599b9f5f5b0358c458

Does anyone has any experience with it?

zebedee

One Too Many
It washes out, no problem.

Invest in dark-coloured trousers. It doesn't stop and anything you try (conditioner, rubbing the Jeebus out of it with a towel or cloth) will just make it worse. This is my chief offender. Unrepentant, recidivist, etc. Aero Maxwell in cordovan tumbled HH.

Attachments

• Photo on 12-3-2023 at 10.09 AM.jpg
    Photo on 12-3-2023 at 10.09 AM.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I used Pecards to stabilize this issue on a jacket that had an unusually bad case of it. I used the version with a black tint to it but I think the regular Pecards would have done the trick too. I have both.

Peacoat

Bartender
We discussed this problem at length a number of years back. The culprit then was Aero's cordovan hides. You might do a search to see what you can find.

But as Tom71 noted, only blue and black denim are allowed with a Perfecto.

A solution, as suggested by the Panda above, is to have the jacket sealed. That ought to take care of it.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Since the issue is just an internal hem of the jacket, I would just apply a thin coat of Fiebing's acrylic Resolene coating on the inside band. That ought to diminish the issue greatly, or stop it altogether. No one will ever know, either, a thin layer of Resolene is almost invisible on black leather.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the feedback. Jerri Reyes from Schott recommended this product, but I am not sure if it is for sealing the leather, as well:

https://www.moebelpflegeshop.de/en/...10?PHPSESSID=f699c59859d5b0599b9f5f5b0358c458

Does anyone has any experience with it?
They(Schott) would know their stuff best. I read through the product description and it says it can block UV fading and prevent dark denim from transfering to the light jacket. So yeah I think it can work in your case to block the color fading onto your trousers. There are two bottles in this set, one is the cleaner, the other is the sealer. Just make sure you use the sealer, I think that's the one that's gonna do most of the heavy lifting. I've seen this Keralux brand before, usually in the EU. I am in Vancouver and it's all Fiebing here, but I am sure they have the same or similar ingredients. Basically a sealer.

chollie

One of the Regulars
Years ago I purchased a leather pea coat from Schott in the same naked cowhide and had the same issue. I'm aware that this hide is prone to that, but in my case it was bleeding much more than I thought it should. I contacted them right away and they exchanged it no questions asked. The replacement didn't suffer from the same issue.

incanus

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's really appreciated. I am happy to report that the dye transfer washed easily from my light-coloured trousers. Indeed, the issue seems to be only located to the internal hem; I have not experienced dye transfer from other parts of the jacket (i. e. the sleeves or the back) to other surfaces. For now, I think I will leave the leather as is and see if it diminishes over time.

On a more general question (and more out of curiosity): has any of you sealed a naked leather jacket? Is there any benefit or advantage to it?

Yango

One of the Regulars
I used Pecards to stabilize this issue on a jacket that had an unusually bad case of it. I used the version with a black tint to it but I think the regular Pecards would have done the trick too. I have both.
I treated my BMG Montana with Pecards Motorcycle Black Tint—it certainly changed the colour from dark brown to black, temporarily—but it also turned virtually everything that the jacket came in contact with black too. So this product will not solve the OP’s issue—it’ll make it worse.

Perhaps Pecards Leather Lotion Conditioner, or the neutral Leather Dressing may help with his issue.

Last edited:

roadking04

Practically Family
has any of you sealed a naked leather jacket? Is there any benefit or advantage to it?
I never sealed a naked leather, but I did own a naked leather vest. Black naked leather will turn gray from the UV rays. And naked leather is like a sponge in the rain. So sealing your 118 might make it stay black longer and help "repel" some lighter rain.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I treated my BMG Montana with Pecards Motorcycle Black Tint—it certainly changed the colour from dark brown to black, temporarily—but it also turned virtually everything that the jacket came in contact with black too. So this product will not solve the OP’s issue—it’ll make it worse

You must have over applied it. I applied the thinnest possible coat, let it soak in for 30 hours, then buffed away anything that was left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ