Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shirts

Zach R.

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
D@mn you! Zach! ;) It's because I was a little embarrassed wearing a shirt by DKNY! But you take the vintage looking shirts where you can find them! :) :) :)

I see how it is.:p

I have a few things from J Crew, but I find their retail prices to be a bit high and not worth it considering they are almost like clockwork with their sales.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
I see how it is.:p

I have a few things from J Crew, but I find their retail prices to be a bit high and not worth it considering they are almost like clockwork with their sales.

Very true, I always get stuff on sale there, since I buy all my clothes at the end of the summer.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zach and Mycroft, I check J Crew's sale items everyday. It changes often. I am especially on the lookout for their shoes. Their shoes are quite nice and made in Italy and are often of classic styling.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Back in line, kiddies -- BACK IN LINE!!!! :)

Here's a photo of some so-and-so (an aged Gordon Gekko?) wearing a horizontal stripe shirt. :

BurkeColorsitting.jpg

I've never been a fan of the white collar y cuff on coloured shirt look. I guess it's the Gecko thing that scares me.

As for J Crew, their shirts are mighty comfortable. I picked some up thrifting a while ago (heavy weight cotton in houndstooth - great for wearing with the tweeds). Don't know that i'd be prepared to pay retail.

What do folks think of Paul Stuart's shirts? They are abominably expensive. I have one on my back right now that i got for cheap, again, thrifting. It is the softest, daintiest cotton i've evr worn. And it's apparently one of his cheaper models - only $150 a pop :rolleyes:

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Egyptian cotton shirts fray fairly quickly at the collar (where it meets the tie knot) and at the french cuffs (where they fold over). My dad favored Turnbull & Asser dress shirts, but they didn't last long.

Aristocrats often prefer a sort of "shabby chic." Don't be surprised to see them wearing frayed (but expensive) shirts, and bespoke suits with fraying sleeve and trouser cuffs. It's a way to distinguish the upper class twits from the nouveaux-riches.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a photo of some so-and-so (an aged Gordon Gekko?) wearing a horizontal stripe shirt. :
Well done, Marc. I don't know where you dug up that photo.

Baron Kurtz said:
I've never been a fan of the white collar y cuff on coloured shirt look. I guess it's the Gecko thing that scares me.

As for J Crew, their shirts are mighty comfortable. I picked some up thrifting a while ago (heavy weight cotton in houndstooth - great for wearing with the tweeds). Don't know that i'd be prepared to pay retail.

What do folks think of Paul Stuart's shirts? They are abominably expensive. I have one on my back right now that i got for cheap, again, thrifting. It is the softest, daintiest cotton i've evr worn. And it's apparently one of his cheaper models - only $150 a pop :rolleyes:

bk
BK, I agree about the white collar and cuffs; they do seem a little Charlie, a bit obnoxious, but if I think about them in the context of a vintage shirt with a detachable collar, the anxiety from my former associations are assuaged.

As for J. Crew, why pay retail? All of their stuff goes to the sale section a month later anyhow. ;)

I'll check out Paul Stuart.

Marc Chevalier said:
Egyptian cotton shirts fray fairly quickly at the collar (where it meets the tie knot) and at the french cuffs (where they fold over). My dad favored Turnbull & Asser dress shirts, but they didn't last long.

Funnily enough the Stuart shirt i have is fraying at the french cuff. It's the "sea island cotton" shirt in white with blue really tightly spaced pinstripes:

item_template.cfm

bk

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Zach and Mycroft, I check J Crew's sale items everyday. It changes often. I am especially on the lookout for their shoes. Their shoes are quite nice and made in Italy and are often of classic styling.

I was never a huge fan of their shoes, a bit pricey for me, but too modern last season and too square toed the previous year, I am going back soon, and I will also report my finds. Hemingway a great J Crew in your town is the one connected to the Weston Hotel in the Back Bay I think near the Palm Steak House (In the Weston Hotel). The sales people are great in there and big selection.

Marty M.

Vendor
No truer words have been spoken.

Senator Jack said:
I could never understand why someone would buy overpriced off-the-peg shirts when they can get made-to-measure for less. Highly illogical.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Senator Jack,
I like the way you think pal.

Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR