Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shirts

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello,
In the last seven days, I found these two vintage inspired dress shirts, and upon looking further I've noticed that there seems to be quite a few men's dress shirts whose designs have been lifted from the 1930's.

Here's the first, which has acquired the nickname "The Gecko" after Gordon who popularized it. Though, before you think that it is vintage 1986, remember that the style of that shirt was taken from a depression era pattern. Regardless, I could not pass up horizonal stripes!

And then there is this shirt with the Art Deco design of digonal stripes meeting at the buttons. I also like the French Cuffs.

Now, which vintage tie shall I pair with them???

Mycroft

One Too Many
Those are sweet. The first one if you really like it, you can get I think in short sleaves in a golf shirt, my pro has one. I will try to find the pick. As for the tie, the first one, no tie, but a navy blue blazer and whitish khaki pants will do as a cool sporting outfit. The latter needs a bright pastle tie, I guess, like the colors in the Redford Great Gasby movie (though I am not the best at matching).

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Mycroft!
"The Great Gatsby" is a great source of inspiration for clothing.
I think your advice on the blue blazer is spot-on as well. A shirt that bold hardly needs a tie!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks Mycroft!
"The Great Gatsby" is a great source of inspiration for clothing.
I think your advice on the blue blazer is spot-on as well. A shirt that bold hardly needs a tie!

A nice striped shirt (like yours), a blazer, and light pants is called the "Sporting Look" acording to a good friend of mine from Jamaca. FYI.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Your (horizontal stripe) shirt has a pattern that first appeared in the 1850s. It was considered dandyish, and many 19th century cartoons of "overdressed" black men showed them wearing this type of shirt. In the 1930s, the horizontal stripe finally became respectable: it was considered a very formal look, to be worn with a black suit or cutaway (with vest) and a bowler hat. The Argentine tango singer/composer Carlos Gardel often wore a horizontal stripe shirt with a regular stripe collar.

My only criticism of your particular shirt is that the sleeves' cuffs are not vertically striped; instead, the stripes are "regular."

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Your (horizontal stripe) shirt has a pattern that first appeared in the 1850s. It was considered dandyish, and many 19th century cartoons of "overdressed" black men showed them wearing this type of shirt. In the 1930s, the horizontal stripe finally became respectable: it was considered a very formal look, to be worn with a black suit or cutaway (with vest) and a bowler hat. The Argentine tango singer/composer Carlos Gardel often wore a horizontal stripe shirt with a regular stripe collar.

My only criticism of your particular shirt is that the sleeves' cuffs are not vertically striped; instead, the stripes are "regular."
Thanks for the information, Marc. Well, I shall do my best to take the respectibility right back out of this shirt! ;)
I've also seen this shirt with white cuffs to match the collar.

BTW, is the white collar look in anyway a reference to the removable collars of the 20's and the Edwardian period? -Just a thought.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
BTW, is the white collar look in anyway a reference to the removable collars of the 20's and the Edwardian period? -Just a thought.

Absolutely right. The white collar was originally a removable one. Starting in the later 1920s, all but the most formal dress shirts began to have attached collars. By the late 1930s, colored/striped shirts with (still detachable) white collars were considered very formal: suitable for daytime weddings and Wall Street only. Eventually, even these shirts became collar-attached. Still, they continue to be considered especially dressy.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here are some pictures of the fit of the shirt:

I suppose I could have tucked it in better, but the fit of this shirt is very precise and there is no back pleat, which is a clean look. The collars are also fairly long and pointy.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Thanks, Mycroft. You're a good man! ;)

Your welcome, I am suprised DKNY acually makes shirts that cool, I mean I thought their men's stuff was all modern without vintage influences. Anyhow back to the topic...Hemingway what color suit would you wear with that suit shirt? I know we agreed the blazer would be cool, but I am looking for an alternate outfit, so to speak.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mycroft said:
Your welcome, I am suprised DKNY acually makes shirts that cool, I mean I thought their men's stuff was all modern without vintage influences. Anyhow back to the topic...Hemingway what color suit would you wear with that suit shirt? I know we agreed the blazer would be cool, but I am looking for an alternate outfit, so to speak.
Actually, I think gray would work well with both of them. I wore gray today with the DKNY shirt and I wore a modern tie, but I wanted to wear a vintage. A little at a time though. I don't want to scare my coworkers! Bankers are conservative.

I'm going to wear the first one without a tie on Friday with a blazer and khakis. I am not sure which suit to pair it with, perhaps a nice charcoal tweed? What did Gordon Gekko do???
;)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Actually, I think gray would work well with both of them. I wore gray today with the DKNY shirt and I wore a modern tie, but I wanted to wear a vintage. A little at a time though. I don't want to scare my coworkers! Bankers are conservative.

I'm going to wear the first one without a tie on Friday with a blazer and khakis. I am not sure which suit to pair it with, perhaps a nice charcoal tweed? What did Gordon Gekko do???
;)

Acually, the grey would be very cool, my co-worker has worn an Untouchable like suit (2 piece) and a light purple or pinkish shirt and it is really nice and modern-converavtive to say what I would classify it as.

Here is Gordon Grekko for ya, the only pic I could find with a jacket:
gg.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mycroft, great job with the Gekko pic! It's a shame he's not wearing the shirt. It is close though.
As for J Crew, yes, they are great for vintage patterns, though their collars are fairly modern. Great to point it out though, thanks!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Mycroft, great job with the Gekko pic! It's a shame he's not wearing the shirt. It is close though.
As for J Crew, yes, they are great for vintage patterns, though their collars are fairly modern. Great to point it out though, thanks!

Though the JCrew stuff has modern colors, it looks good with the "Sporting Look," also a black blazer (though modern) works well with some of the JCrew shirts like the lime green ones or light blue striped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot