Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Standard & Strange X Simmons Bilt Natural Horsehide Jacket

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If you read Epaulets full Instagram post including comments you’ll see that it’s neither CXL nor Vicenza in their Aero collaboration - it’s their own FQH from an Italian tannery called Comipel. They have always used this leather for their footwear. I suspect their stating this on their Instagram comments gave Aero’s competitors the lead they needed to source the leather?

*points to nose and to Robinray*

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I bought one of the Aero/Epaulet Highwayman some time in early October.. it should be showing up any day (month or year) now....

dannyk

One Too Many
Who cares if Simmons Bilt or Aero or whomever made a jacket first.

It is another jacket from a handful of companies churning out similar designs made from veg tanned leather.

**yawn**

No one is going to reinvent the leather jacket here folks.
I mostly agree. It’s different if a company steals the exact pattern and does the same exact dimensions. But there’s how many companies making their own perfecto style? How many doing a variation of a buco j-100? That’s not to excuse SB’s past when they were AL by any means. But this doesn’t bother me.

Colin G

One Too Many
It's a nice jacket, im sure its going to be made well, people will buy it. S&S have a following and they do put out some really nice collaborations.

It is nice.

I was commenting more on the Aero vs Simmons Bilt thing. I was not very clear in my post.

Colin G

One Too Many
I mostly agree. It’s different if a company steals the exact pattern and does the same exact dimensions. But there’s how many companies making their own perfecto style? How many doing a variation of a buco j-100? That’s not to excuse SB’s past when they were AL by any means. But this doesn’t bother me.

That is where I as going with my post.

Everyone makes very similar stuff these days just like the Buco you mention.

dannyk

One Too Many
I can’t say I’m too familiar with who’s at SB these days. I say that because I’m curious how many employees currently working there were with them when they were AL and well we all know that story....

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In terms of reinventing leather jackets... I can only think of Thedi. Their designs are pretty unique. Otherwise we are clearly in the market of remakes whether it's SB, Aero, LW, GW, Himel, etc.
So it really boils down to price and execution :)

dannyk

One Too Many
In terms of reinventing leather jackets... I can only think of Thedi. Their designs are pretty unique. Otherwise we are clearly in the market of remakes whether it's SB, Aero, LW, GW, Himel, etc.
So it really boils down to price and execution :)
True. If any current top maker could come close to really saying they are doing something new it’s got to be Thedi.

El Marro

Ok we’re still not getting it from my above 2 posts. My questions are as follows and
putting the style of the jacket to one side:-
1. Had SB thought of using natural veg tanned leather which ages beautifully with exposure to the sun before they saw the Aero Epaulet collaboration?
2. Did they add insult to injury by sourcing this rare commodity from the same Italian Tannery used by Aero?
robinray,
I think that Standard & Strange actually made the decision to go with this natural veg tanned leather. When I first learned about them it was because of a natural veg tanned leather engineer boot they built in collaboration with Wesco.

sweetfights

I have an end game list myself. And natural veg. tan is on that list!

I have been tempted by the new Aero natural CXL, but this thread has convinced me it would not be the leather I am dreaming of. Nothing seems to age like this natural veg tanned stuff.

dannyk

One Too Many
I have been tempted by the new Aero natural CXL, but this thread has convinced me it would not be the leather I am dreaming of. Nothing seems to age like this natural veg tanned stuff.
Yeah the natural cxl looks nice, very nice even. But it does not age like the veg. tan. And I don’t want a used one. I want to get it brand new and age it myself. Really make it my own. Can’t afford one right now, maybe I’ll start with a wallet or belt in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112