Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Stetson label - to remove or not remove?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joshbru3 said:
LOL. Wow thats like saying, "Mcdonalds, I didnt know they make hamburgers."

Yeah, if only it were that way...

Unfortunately, I've worn the same Stetson fedora to work for the last 5-6 years, and I regularly hear, "Huh, so Stetson makes fedoras, too?" :rolleyes:

I think I'll start in on them with the McDonald's approach now. That ought to hold them at bay for a while. :p

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I really can't think of any reason the general population under the age of 40 would be aware that Stetson makes anything other than cowboy hats. Most probably think ALL cowboy hats are Stetsons.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I've noticed that Stetson switched to labels this year. I haven't bought one yet with the label...the ones I've picked up this year have been new old stock with the pin I suppose. At any rate, I like the pin...and I don't care for the label. However, I have more Stetsons than pins...so I change them out when the season changes and I change from straw to felt. Just my opinion, but I think I'll remove the label on the Carbon I'm about to order. Maybe Stetson will switch back to pins soon.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone!

Wow, what a response! I would prefer the pin as well, the label just seems cheap and kind of tacky. I will play with it a little after work today and see if I can tease it off of there without any damage. If not, then I'll leave it. I love the hat, I think it looks great, but it obviously needs breaking in. Once it is I plan on this being my daily hat when it gets cold out. I've heard great things about Stetson's durability, and I also don't feel as bad wearing a new hat (and reasonably priced too) as I would with my expensive or vintage ones. Can't wait until Sept. 15!

-Max

One Too Many
Yes the labels, out ¡¡¡

Some hats what I am using had labels, I believe wich all hats must be used with no labels, the quality shows the greatest hat. Fine hats don´t need identification label.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

James71

A-List Customer
Pull it off I say. Im not a collector, but rather a wearer of good hats, so I wear them until they are worn out. To meet that end I customise them to suite myself.

Regular alterations include:-

* Tags removed. Including the little cardboard size tag on akubra hats and anything on the outside.
* Plastectomy. The plastic liner in akubra hats makes my head sweat. I carefully cut away the plastic and leave the silk liner in.
*Steam and reshape. Rarely have I not adjusted a hat for shape after I have bought it.

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
Perks of Stetson's New Label...

Stetson's new label comes right out if you give it a slight tug so no need to worry about glue or any damage to the band.
To answer the initial question of this post: I just bought a Venetian Sisal straw myself by Stetson and first thing I did was take the label out. Someone had mentioned earlier in the post that if it was a Borsalino or a Stetson to keep it in because they are great hat makers, but I still always remove all labels from the hats I wear.
A nice well made hat shouldn't need to be advertised as one with a label. If someone asks you about the hat you proudly tell them. Other than that I think it takes away from the hat.
You can say the same for women's handbags. A really nice women's bag doesn't have the brand all over it. The 'cheaper' nice bags do. The really nice bag, like a hat, just looks quality and you can tell by looking.
I think it has more class without the label. :)

Sand Stockman

New in Town
James71 said:
Pull it off I say. Im not a collector, but rather a wearer of good hats, so I wear them until they are worn out. To meet that end I customise them to suite myself.

Regular alterations include:-

* Tags removed. Including the little cardboard size tag on akubra hats and anything on the outside.
* Plastectomy. The plastic liner in akubra hats makes my head sweat. I carefully cut away the plastic and leave the silk liner in.
*Steam and reshape. Rarely have I not adjusted a hat for shape after I have bought it.

Same here with my Akubras...but never reshaped them (well..at least the last one I had for 8 years..). However, I read so much about this in the lounge, that I may try with the new Leisure Time coming.
Cheers

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Well gents, when I got back from my trip to New Mexico (where I purchased ANOTHER STETSON :eusa_doh: ) I pulled out the label. Came right off, it's just stuck in there with a tiny piece of what seems like two-sided carpet tape. The new Stetson didn't come with one, as it's a cowboy hat (Stetson Gun Club, with 4" almost cavalry style brim) and I had them put a custom grosgrain ribbon on it. Pictures to follow at some point, once it's shipped back from their shop.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy