Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"New" store in Dayton, OH

Heard the last half of a new radio ad for Price Store in Datyon (old store that apparently has reopened after remodeling). Called them to ask about hats; the man said they carry Dobbs, Stetson, Scalia and others. Sounds like straight retail - not a hat shop per se, but might be worth a visit if you're ever in this area. I'm going to drop in later this week.

http://www.pricestores.com/about.htm

edit: just noticed what appears to be a hat tree in the middle of the room...if that's all they have it's a much smaller selection than Gus has down in Cinci. But hey, it's closer for me.

Price stores

definitely take some pics and post 'em. I used to shop there on a regular basis, got several suits from there and am really interested on how they are now. I know that in the early '90's that they were really the only place in dayton to get non western stetsons. I remember stopping in on my way home from classes at UD to look at the selection.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Ohio is the greatest state in the Midwest! But I realize her shortcomings.
Being Dayton, I'm sure it's straight retail.
But, when in Dayton you can always do a two for one and hit the USAF Museum too!

come on...

Flatch said:
I hear ya. I'm a transplant and can't stand Ohio...but it does have its good points.

come one with the ohio bashing guys, if you don't like it, go back home.
eusa_doh.gif

Ohio has a ton of great stuff to do. aside from that Louisville is only a couple hours drive, you have indianapolis, fort wayne.

I would love to move back there, but I also appreciate the "things to do" in my new locale.

Trotsky said:
Ohio is the greatest state in the Midwest! But I realize her shortcomings. Being Dayton, I'm sure it's straight retail.
But, when in Dayton you can always do a two for one and hit the USAF Museum too!

Shame on me, lived here 6 years now and have not visited the museum.

Ohio in general has lots of neat stuff, that's true - it's just danged expensive to live here, at least compared with Indiana, where the wife and I lived last (I know, it's still cheaper than some states). But it's better than Illinois, where I grew up. Illinois has...other issues.

Dayton is really hurting...don't know if you heard the news this week that NCR is moving out. Between that and the automotive suppliers dying off in recent years, that town is really low right now. I'm surprised a store like this one even exists there at all.

PS Trotsky - how do you find a hat to fit with that iceaxe sticking out the back of your head? (sorry, a little black historical humor there). lol

billyspew

One Too Many
Just to clarify... I wasn't bashing Ohio - as I said, I'm sure the rest of the state is great, but my frequent visits a few years ago to Dayton/Miamisburg I didn't enjoy.
Friends of mine who at the time who had to do visits and who still do actually stay in Cincinnati and commute in while they're there and love it (some even want to move there). I did not have that luxury as I didn't (and still don't) have a driving license.

I would however like to vist the Air Force Museum, King's Island and Cedar Point among many others. However as I no longer work for that company I don't know when I'll get a chance to.

TTFN,

Bill

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
NCR hasn't been much of a corporate citizen for at least 20 years now (and I've been here in Dayton/ Dayton area longer than that). Personally, I don't think I'll much notice it's departure, but others here who have memories of what NCR USED to be will no doubt have more regrets.

The city is having problems, partly due to the economy and a banana republic-style reliance on one type of industry, and partly due to inadequate and downright incompetent leadership, but there is quite a bit more going on here than is generally acknowledged or mentioned by the hyper-doomsday media.

Price Stores is the local formalwear rental king of the hill. Proms, weddings, you name. Rented mine from them.

Stopped in today. The room is rearranged from the small pic on the website; there's now a nice little alcove at the back of the room which has probably 25 different kinds of straw hats on display...I'm not a straw kind of guy myself but there was one there (Dorfman Pacific, tho there were other brands) that I'd have bought if it had a little bigger brim. Plus, hats are 15% off right now. The man behind the desk gave me his card after I asked when felts would go back on display; he said call him late August-early September. Might be worth another visit. Drop in if you're in Dayton - free parking right next door.

Next stop: http://www.hatandsole.com/

leo

One of the Regulars
I bought one of my favorite hats (& a few suits) in the old Price Store...a Dobbs Temptation. They had a few hats in my size in those days. I'll have to check out their new digs although about the only time I get downtown is to see a baseball game or hit the Dublin Pub in the Oregon District to check our yet another single malt.

I live at the far edge of Daytonati, a term even the TV stations are using for the merging strip of the Dayton-Cincinnati metroplex (like Dallas-Ft. Worth but with more snow and crime), so I'm more likely to go to the famed Batsakes in Cincy for wider choices. Also, Columbus has Hat and Sole and Cleveland has Mike the Hatter.

Bill

leo

One of the Regulars
Flatch said:
... How's Hat and Sole? They do any hat servicing, or just retail? (I'm guessing retail only, judging from their website)

Pretty much retail. At least it was about a year and a half ago when I was there last.

They do have a lightweight steamer and did a bit of repair with it for me on a wool brim, but I eventually had to take the hat elsewhere.

Bill

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
RobFedoraField said:
come one with the ohio bashing guys, if you don't like it, go back home.
eusa_doh.gif

"Go back home." That's an interesting concept and easier said then done. If by home you mean where we're originally from, where we grew up, where the people all know you... well, that would be a bit difficult for me as everyone I knew growing up in South Gate, California has left, or, as in the case of my father, died. I myself moved out of South Gate in 1977 and left Southern California in 1980. Besides, it is my wife's home. We're living in what used to be her grandparent's house, where she lived for a few years when she was a girl.

RobFedoraField said:
Ohio has a ton of great stuff to do. aside from that Louisville is only a couple hours drive, you have indianapolis, fort wayne.

Well, see, therein lies the problem--you have to drive a couple of hours for something to do! :p At least, you do if you live down here. I probably would enjoy Ohio a lot more if I could relate to the people around me (and vice-versa, I suppose.) I probably wouldn't mind it so much if I lived near, say, Columbus. On the other hand, I did spend about 5 hours riding my motorcycle from the dealership near Athens, OH where I had maintenance performed back to my house in Lucasville. I took the long way home (over 200 miles) through the rather enjoyable riding areas of Hocking county and it's neighbors.

All in all, it simply never occurred to me that when I retired I'd end up living in a house with a septic tank and a gravel driveway. :eek:

I do still have hopes of eventually moving to southern Oregon as originally planned, but (getting back on topic) in the mean time I guess I'll go check out that Price Store and Hat and Sole when I get the opportunity. :D

Well, see, therein lies the problem--you have to drive a couple of hours for something to do! At least, you do if you live down here.

That's pretty much it...we've visited Hocking Hills (love it), go to Louisville yearly for something called Wonderfest, scope out the big antique malls up in Springfield, and today are going down to Trader's World, halfway btw Dayton and Cinci. There's just not much to do close by in the immediate area, which we did not realize when we moved here. I grew up on the far south tip of Illinois where there is practically NOTHING to do except look at the scenery. When you're there, and know that, you accept it and it's ok. But when we moved here I figured, with a town the size of Dayton and all the small and mid-sized towns sprinkled all over the area, there'd be lots. Occasionally there is (the Troy strawberry festival, f'rinstance)...just not as much as we figured there'd be with a town this size. Oh well. Still has it's good points, even with the drive.

Sorry to jack my own thread but I have to say this: if you ever get over to the west side of Columbus (on route 40/Broad St.), the last surviving York Steakhouse still does the biz. Quiet, dim atmosphere, great food and salad bar for the price, and plenty of big hooks on the wall for a fedora. It's like walking back in time.

trailrunner

Familiar Face
Thanks for the info on the shop. I'm originally from Piqua, OH. I'm not interested in ever moving back "home", but I do go back to visit family every so often. Now in addition to the family rounds, and visiting Cassano's Pizza, I have a couple of hat stops to make. :)

We were in Piqua last week, it's just up 36 from us.

You Dayton guys might find this interesting. There's a Goodwill "last stop" down in Dayton, not far from WPAFB, where everything that has not sold at stores ends up...if it doesn't sell there it goes to the dump. It's kind of a grubby place (that's all I'll say about it) but in the clothes area I found a stingy fur Borsalino out of the '70s. Excellent shape, too. Gave a quarter for it. Found a similar one (not Bors) at the Urbana Goodwill, too. They don't come up often but when they do, it's quite a find.

And in Indiana, I believe Cassano's is called Pizza King. Appears to be the same recipe - some of the best pizza I've ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner