Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Boston...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
patterson said:
Just shoot me a PM when you think you may need that drink. Name the place and time – first round is on me (ok - my expense account)…:)

Same goes for Steve and Tim!;)

Friday might be good, as it's not a game day, which will limit the number of meatheads who are out and about. Besides, I have roller derby practice AND world series games to watch tonight and tomorrow.

Oh wait, tomorrow there is a good show happening at TT's in Cambridge, if you're into live music. The Detroit Cobras ("vintage R&B and primitive rock & roll") www.detroitcobras.org, Eli "Paperboy" Reed ("old-timey rhythm and blues"/" southern soul music")www.elipaperboyreed.com AND The Swinedells (early style RnB/soul)www.myspace.com/swinedells. I'll be there as part of the musicians' "wives club".

patterson

One of the Regulars
CAVEAT: Now, I’m pretty sure you gents realize (likewise you ladies likely do not know) that I am not your typical Lounger (if there is such a thing)… While I am told I clean-up well, outside of the office I am not much of a suit-and-tie kind of guy… It has more to do with the unnatural acts necessary to get one to fit properly for less than a thousand bucks a pop. I recently had Tony Magnoli make me one of his Casablanca dinner jackets. I love the jacket, and it leads me to think there is hope that I might actually enjoy dressing like a grown-up during off-business hours…

Who am I kidding - I prefer jeans, t-shirt, beat-up leather jacket and my favorite pair of cowboy boots... Know thyself...

Kitty – The music sounds like my kind of taste. Barring anything unplanned from my client here, I’ll swing by and check it out. If you spot a guy about 6’2” who looks like a bouncer/linebacker – that’s probably me… Friday afternoons I’ll be on a plane to Indianapolis. Likewise, my Monday morning commute will be a 7 am flight from Indy to Boston for the duration of the next several months at least. Have spreadsheet, will travel…

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
patterson said:
Kitty – The music sounds like my kind of taste. Barring anything unplanned from my client here, I’ll swing by and check it out. If you spot a guy about 6’2” who looks like a bouncer/linebacker – that’s probably me…

Hope you're able to make it! TT's is in Central Square in Cambridge, on Brookline St. Very easy to get to either by cab or train. http://www.ttthebears.com

I'm easy to spot - I'm the short girl with the two-toned hair and glasses.

Friday afternoons I’ll be on a plane to Indianapolis. Likewise, my Monday morning commute will be a 7 am flight from Indy to Boston for the duration of the next several months at least. Have spreadsheet, will travel…

Wow, that is a crazy schedule. I couldn't do it!

patterson

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Hope you're able to make it! TT's is in Central Square in Cambridge, on Brookline St. Very easy to get to either by cab or train. http://www.ttthebears.com

Nice thing about being at the front-end of an engagement is that the likelihood of a client panic-attack is virtually zero. I’ll be there!

KittyT said:
Wow, that is a crazy schedule. I couldn't do it!

It does take some getting used to, but I can pretty much live anywhere I want as long as there is an airport nearby… Effectively, I end up taking about 12-14 weeks off every year. Last year was great – I spent just about the entire summer wearing shorts because I wrapped up a job in May and started the next one in September. I have a 7-8 year commitment to stay in Indianapolis, and then I’m thinking someplace hot and tropical…

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Boston

Welcome to "ah faya city", Patterson! :cheers1:

You should have hit "Silvertone" on Bromfield Street, around the corner from "Beantown Pub". Nice vintage feel to the space: lots of Deco radios, cocktail shakers, photos, etc.

As a born & bred Boston Irishman myself, I know you're just starting to discover the pubs of the city. Shame you missed "The Littlest Bar" which was torn down this Summer. :( Litterally, the littlest bar in Boston. Room for fifteen people, but that didn't stop them from jamming in sixty (plus a band!)

By-the-by... At what gym are you working-out? I'm 5'-7" and 260 pounds, so I feel your pain wearing a jacket and tie!

-BigLittleTim

patterson

One of the Regulars
BigLittleTim said:
By-the-by... At what gym are you working-out? I'm 5'-7" and 260 pounds, so I feel your pain wearing a jacket and tie!

-BigLittleTim

I haven't figured that out yet - I'll hit the gym at the hotel tonight, but little hope of actually doing more than getting some blood moving. Suggestions?

Looks like downtown's only option is Bally's...:eusa_doh:

Well, I guess a barbell weighs just as much at Bally's as any onther place...[huh]

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Boston Sports Club (B.S.C.) is O.K. They have a location at Downtown Crossing in the old Woolworth's Building. The Boylston Athletic Club (Formerly the B.Y.M.C.U.), right off the Common, is VERY inexpensive, and offer monthly memberships.

Cheers, mate.

BigLittleTim

patterson

One of the Regulars
BigLittleTim said:
Boston Sports Club (B.S.C.) is O.K. They have a location at Downtown Crossing in the old Woolworth's Building. The Boylston Athletic Club (Formerly the B.Y.M.C.U.), right off the Common, is VERY inexpensive, and offer monthly memberships.

Cheers, mate.

BigLittleTim

How about Revolution Fitness? They are right around the corner from my client. The "young and perky" crowd in the office here recommended them, but will they have the right equipment for when I go north of 500 on the bench?

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Gyms

I've never worked-out there, but it has a reputation for being very clean and friendly. Sadly, all the "big boy" gyms in the city have closed, due probably to the high price of real estate. You just can't get enough square footage for a respectable "temple of iron" anymore. All the serious gyms are out in the suburbs now, in strip shopping-malls and such.

Do you have any pictures to post of yourself? I'm always interested in seeing how a fellow gorilla decks himself in business formal. I've had jackets made at Brooke Bros., and order my shirts custom, but nothing fits as well as Levis Silvertabs and a t-shirt (unfortunately!) :(

-BigLittleTim

5'-7", 265 lbs.

patterson

One of the Regulars
BigLittleTim said:
I've never worked-out there, but it has a reputation for being very clean and friendly. Sadly, all the "big boy" gyms in the city have closed, due probably to the high price of real estate. You just can't get enough square footage for a respectable "temple of iron" anymore. All the serious gyms are out in the suburbs now, in strip shopping-malls and such.

Do you have any pictures to post of yourself? I'm always interested in seeing how a fellow gorilla decks himself in business formal. I've had jackets made at Brooke Bros., and order my shirts custom, but nothing fits as well as Levis Silvertabs and a t-shirt (unfortunately!) :(

-BigLittleTim

5'-7", 265 lbs.

Except for the height, we may be twins separated at birth... I've been able to have an athletic cut Armani tapered and had the slacks recut, but then I'm running anywhere from $1,000-$2,000... Might as well have them custom made, and I've found a few guys around the US who I trust to do the job. When I can, I just stick with slacks, shirt, and tie. West of Chicago this will fly. On the East Coast - no way... I'll dig up a pic...

patterson

One of the Regulars
These Bostonians are quite the welcoming crowd... My client here came up with a spare ticket to some baseball game tonight. I hear it is kind of a big deal...

Geeeezzzz! I guess we're about 12 rows up not far from dead center behind home plate. If you see a big mick waving like a fool - oh, wait... This IS Boston - there are a LOT of big micks here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails