Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to hats, hunting a temporary panama...

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
I got my first hat around a week ago and a second soon after. I LOVE them, but it is getting very hot in my area and they are both felt hats. I have been doing ample amounts of reading on the forum here and am wanting to buy a panama hat for the summer. Thanks to all the praise I have read on the forum for them, I have chosen to go with a Panama Bob hat and will probably order it in the next few weeks.

However, the problem is I need to find something to wear for a month or two till I can get the Panama Bob hat. I want to keep wearing my hats, but it is just getting too hot! I was hoping someone could steer me in the direction of where I can get a ready to go panama with around a 2" brim to wear till then with out a really high crown. I don't want to spend a fortune so I can put more money towards a better Panama Bob hat.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Thanks

indycop said:
Check Bob's Ebay auctions. He often has hats that deliver quick!

I have already looked there... nothing but wide brims (2 1/2- 3 inches) in my size. I will keep checking in. Any other ideas? Are there any other vendors that have a ready made hat that you all would recommend?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
You might consider a Milan. There are tons of them in your desired dimensions for next to nothing dating from the 1960's.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Only if....

fluteplayer07 said:
I have one on classifieds... ;) Don't know your size, though.

If it was a 7 3/8 I would have taken it off your hands at that price

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will look at Milans and see what I can find reasonable.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Panamabob said:
I don't know if you've sent me an email or not, but I've got 3 inch brims in your size in stock in many hats.

I had noticed that when I clicked the ebay link. I had not sent an email, just seen what was posted. I may wind up going with a 3", just with the shape of my head I think it looks a little much, especially on someone my age (23).

Mr E Train

One Too Many
AndrewGWU said:
It may just be my face shape, but I have found that wider brim hats on me look like they belong on someone twice my age. It just doesn't fit.

Hang around here a while, and I predict that that perception will change. ;)

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Mr E Train said:
Hang around here a while, and I predict that that perception will change. ;)

Maybe so!

I do have another question. My head measures 22 5/8 in, but it is a long oval. In my two vintage hats I wear a 7 3/8. There is space on the sides, but the front and back is tight. I am not sure when ordering a new Panama whether I should go with my circumference size which would be a 7 1/4 or a 7 3/8 to ensure it isn't to tight front to back.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
AndrewGWU said:
Maybe so!

I do have another question. My head measures 22 5/8 in, but it is a long oval. In my two vintage hats I wear a 7 3/8. There is space on the sides, but the front and back is tight. I am not sure when ordering a new Panama whether I should go with my circumference size which would be a 7 1/4 or a 7 3/8 to ensure it isn't to tight front to back.

If you're a long oval you'd be better off going with the larger size and then stretching it just a little into a long oval shape with a hat stretcher and some steam.

hogateb

New in Town
indycop said:
Check Bob's Ebay auctions. He often has hats that deliver quick!

Bob delivers extremely fast. Bought the hat via "the bay" on Sunday, hat was shipped on Monday and on my doorstep Thursday morning. Great service. Great hat.

TMoomaw

New in Town
My head measures 22 5/8

Panama Bob's 7 1/4 fit perfect. I had reservations about wider brims, now it is all I wear.

Tmoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay