Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (to me) Cutlery

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
The top one is a fancy schmancy cigar cutter. I don't know much about it, it came in a tray lot that I purchased at auction. It's blazing sharp and the large opening produces a perfect cut for the churchills I normally smoke.

The bottom one is a Raleigh Tabor knife. He's a semi-local, extremely talented knife-maker. Great detailing and craftsmanship on this, though I'll bee finding a different sheath. I intend to use it as more of a gentlemen's knife rather than a hunt/fish/utility knife. It too will cut a cigar without a problem :rolleyes:

IMG_20100813_211616.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Both nice pieces.
I'd be interested in a few more pics of both from different angles, looks like a nice worked spine on that fixed blade. What wood is the handle? Amboyna?

The cigar cutter almost looks like it has a cat's eye cutter on the very front, and what's with the rear of it with the flat(?) portion with the small v notch? Box opening device?

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
The work on the spine of the fixed blade is very nice and extends all the way down the tang. I believe he said the wood is Ironwood, but I could be wrong. Either way, it works with the blade nicely. It's wickedly sharp a bit more presentable than my Chris Reeve that I carry day to day.

The cigar cutter does have a cat's eye cutter at the head and two different sized standard cuts on either side. I'm not at all sure what the notch at the end of the handle is, I was hoping someone here might have some suggestions.

I'll grab a few more pics this evening when I get home.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
HHIS,
Thanks for the additional info and the offer for more pics. I'm thinking that the opposite end of the cutter was designed to open cigar dress boxes, ones made of wood and covered with paper appliques. These are typically nailed shut with a small brad, so I was thinking one would slit the paper seam with the flat end of the cutter, slip it under the edge to pry open a bit, and then remove the nail altogether with the v-notch, as one would use a claw end of a common hammer. Very ingenious!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff