Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the board and looking for a little advice on a highwayman order

flat6

New in Town
Hello to all, nice community you guys have here. I have been lurking around for a few weeks and have a few questions that maybe you guys could help fill in the blanks with. Shortly I intend to order a new highwayman from Aero and this is what I know what I want:

-Highwayman in brown fq horsehide
-size I am 6ft 185lbs and want a extra inch in sleeves and in the jacket I would guess a 44 will be right as I wear a 42 long suit but I will let Aero tell me the size when I give them my measurements as I don't believe in telling a pro how to do their job.
-one piece back (I think they are pretty cool, mall coats rarely have them)
-extra inside pocket (will make good use for glasses and phone)

What I am not sure of and could use some suggestions:

- by swing back will it ruin the look of the jacket?
- storm cuffs I don't ride any more so will they just get in the way? I have carharts with them and it can be hard to read my watch sometimes. If I decide I don't want them do I have a choice besides the zippered cuffs?
- liners, here I have no clue I just want some thing that will hold up well it doesn't need to be stylish cause its on the inside I figure.

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the FL. Excellent choice in the hide and color.

I don't think the action back ruins the look of the jacket, and it gives some extra movement when driving. I have copied a pic of my cordovan Highwayman, when new, so you can judge for yourself. Not having the bi swing does make for a cleaner presentation in the back, but you won't be able to see it anyway.

As to the chest size, just send them the measurements and tell them you want a loose fit with perhaps more length in the sleeves and the body. Otherwise you might get a tightly fitted jacket.

Storm cuffs will keep you warmer, and I don't find that they get in the way. I can easily pull the left one up to see my watch, or I can push it above the watch if that is important. I ride and find the cuffs useful when the temps drop. Although I don't wear my Aero that much for riding as it is a tightly fitted jacket, and I like a little more room while riding. My next Aero will also have the storm cuffs, if that tells you anything.

None of the linings are designed for cold weather, such as you have in Michigan, so I would get what you like. I have the Alpaca but don't find it particularly warm as it is a thin lining. One of the wool plaids might be warmer. But you will probably wear a vest or sweater under it for warmth when the temperature gets below 40. That's one reason to get a little looser fit in the jacket. Mine is tight enough that I can't wear a sweater under it.

If you have more questions, just ask. There are plenty of Aero experts here who know a lot more than I know and who will have the answers.

back-1.jpg

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the FL.

As far as the lining goes there are lots of options. The consensus seems to be that the basic cotton drill lining is the most durable. Comes in black or brown. Jansolo has had one of his Aero's lined in a olive drab gabardine that is very similar and equally as durable as the drill - see pics here. For a little extra warmth, you can go with the alpaca wool lining that Aero offers or any of the wool tartans from Lochcarron. You'll probably loose a bit in durability. Some people have gone with overlays (essentially a double lining) - adding a durable fabric (drill) over a warmer one (wool).

Personally, I don't like the feel of storm cuffs. My Cheyenne had them and I sent it back to Aero to have them removed. Everyone has their own opinion on this. If you don't like them on your Carhart, I'd avoid them here. If you ride, they're definitely useful but if you don't then I don't think they're necessary. If you don't want the storm cuffs you can go with the standard sleeve or a zippered sleeve. I don't expect a huge amount of warmth from a leather jacket (and I don't ride) so having an open sleeve isn't a big issue for me.

For your inside pocket, you have the option of a horizontal pocket that's hung in the lining or vertical pocket in the leather facing (the so called "gun pocket"). OneEyeMan has the gun pocket in his new Highwayman. From his description, you may want to have the inside pocket on the opposite side as the exterior chest pocket to avoid excess leather in one spot. The reasoning for the "gun pocket" style I've heard is that its a little more durable. An inside pocket hung in the lining can sag as the lining stretches and wears.

Another interesting option that a few people have added is a strip of leather on the interior bottom of the jacket for added durability - in the area were the lining would rub your belt. See the photo's from AndyRichards in this thread.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Flat6 and welcome on this forum.
It sure helps asking around before ordering such a nice jacket as the Highwayman.
I am 6ft 1", weight 195lbs and have a suit size 42. My Highwayman is 42 as well. The Highwayman is in general a rather bulky jacket. If you have a chest size of 42" (even with wearing a light sweater) an Aero Highwayman in size 42 would be ok I think, unless you would like a real loose fit... As mentioned earlier, give Aero your exact measurements and tell them how you would like your jacket (loose, thight etc). If you have a leather jacket, that might help finding exact lenghts of back, shoulder, sleeves. For lining colour: There are so many colours and options. Mark's Aeroleather website gives excellent information of linings. My Highwayman has the OD cotton twill lining, which I like very much. You mentioned you would opt for inner pockets. Keep in mind that having add innerpockets the chest will become bulkier on the side where an outerpocket is fitted as well, especially when carrying eye-glass case. Hope this helps. Good luck in making the right decisions for your first Aero. Please ask as many questions as you like and also don't hesitate to mail at Aero direct. They are very nice people to deal with and always very helpfull.
Cheers,
Andy

flat6

New in Town
olive drab gabardine?

Thanks for the help guys the links were very helpful.
What is Aeros olive drab gabardine made out of wool or cotten?

Lear

One of the Regulars
Yep, as said above, OD is cotton. I had it put into my latest Aero coat. I'd previously gone for the standard brown cotton, into exactly the same model coat. The OD feels a little stronger (stiffer) to the touch, with a harder surface. The differences aren't that great. When wearing, they both feel the same. I just like the look.

I'd guess that OD has more wear resistance. Would other posters agree?

Lear

andy richards

Practically Family
The OD cotton lining Aero uses is in my opinion slightly more durable than the regular brown cotton they use. In one of my previous posts I mentioned mistakenly that my Highwayman has the OD lining... My Long Halfbelt has the OD lining and my Highwayman has the brown lining. Both are very durable and I think both colours looks very well on these fine jackets.
Cheers,
Andy

bobjones

A-List Customer
flat6 said:
Has anyone ordered a highwayman without the storm cuffs without switching to a zippered cuff?

My Hwyman is a standard sleeve, no storm cuffs. I really did not like the storm cuffs,and unless a person rides a motorcycle, cannot see how anyone would want to, as the cuffs are an annoyance to say the least.

As for the lining, definitely get one of the tartans, I got the black stewart with mine:

IMG_0004-1.jpg

and it looks great. My Stockman has the grant tartan, which also works well with the brown FQHH:

IMG_0010.jpg

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
flat6 said:
Has anyone ordered a highwayman without the storm cuffs without switching to a zippered cuff?

Just to be clear, the storm cuff is the fabric cuff inside the leather (and attached to the lining)...as seen in this pic. Not the external leather "cuff" at the end of the sleeve.

4243435036_74b40462ff_o.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
The storm cuffs will stretch a bit over time and aren't in the way or even noticeable, except when the cold win blows. They are no different from any other jacket when I look at my watch. But if one doesn't ride a motor or wear the Aero in cold weather, no real need for storm cuffs.

flat6

New in Town
I sent a e-mail to Aero today

and found out they are still closed for holidays and will open on the 7th. I assume that if I order direct from Aero that I will get the jacket faster than using Aero USA is that correct?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I don't think that's true. My jacket came in a timely fashion and Mark Moye is very good to work with. Very patient and always answered my questions very quickly. I believe you also save some money with him (duty and shipping).

Peacoat

Bartender
And with Mark, he is only a phone call away. There is no 5 hour time difference (I think Michigan is on Eastern Time?). Most items can be resolved with Email, but it is good to be able to talk to a live person if need be.

edqc

New in Town
My Hwyman is a standard sleeve, no storm cuffs. I really did not like the storm cuffs,and unless a person rides a motorcycle, cannot see how anyone would want to, as the cuffs are an annoyance to say the least.

As for the lining, definitely get one of the tartans, I got the black stewart with mine:

IMG_0004-1.jpg

and it looks great. My Stockman has the grant tartan, which also works well with the brown FQHH:

IMG_0010.jpg

can u tell me how heavy the stockman in FQHH weight .thanks

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
-Highwayman in brown fq horsehide
-size I am 6ft 185lbs and want a extra inch in sleeves and in the jacket I would guess a 44 will be right as I wear a 42 long suit but I will let Aero tell me the size when I give them my measurements as I don't believe in telling a pro how to do their job.
-one piece back (I think they are pretty cool, mall coats rarely have them)
-extra inside pocket (will make good use for glasses and phone)

I'm the same size as you and was advised by Insurrection to go with a size 38 as the HWYMN is a roomy square fitting jacket. On the inside pocket, do a forum search on the topic. I changed my mind on wanting one in mine after reading some of the posts on them.

Jules

New in Town
Hi Flat6
The biswing back will add bulk and weight to the jacket which might bother you I would prefer not to have it on my Hecules .
Have you looked at the button cuff option ,I think it looks neater than the standard cuff but you cant have the storm cuff with it .
Liners are all pretty robust I have a few different types (wool , cotton , alpacca ,corduroy) and none have worn through oldest being 9 years old, I prefer the tartan linings for the look.
Jules

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore