Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the forums, not so new no wearing hats

Vintage

New in Town
Greetings!
I have spent a long time browsing this forum, and I feel that I have learnt quite a lot about hats from the tons of interesting threads in the site; and decided to join only yesterday.

Some time ago, I started watching old Film Noir movies, and I just fell in love with the settings and clothings of the characters. Later on, as he realised that I cared for the vintage clothing, my father gave me a raicoat (which probably started my whole obsession with this sort of clothing) and an old hat which used to belong to my grandfather. The hat is not on great conditions, but it is still usable.
Anyway, one day I had the idea to actually put it on, and (even though it does not fit me well) I felt quite comofrtable in it. So by and by, my interest in hats became bigger, and I felt the necessity to buy one.
A few months ago, I went to a classic hat shop near my flat (there are not many hat shops in my country), and bought my first fedora.
Due to my timidity, I wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t wear it often, but since it was quite expensive I finally gave in to using it regularly (I have now changed my attitude towards people?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s reaction, by paying less attention to them, and somehow I feel that they don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t stare at me any more).
As time moved on, I bought some more hats, and have been wearing them ever since. So far I own five hats, and I am saving to buy a new Panama hat.
These are the rest of my hats (in respective order):

Anyhow, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s my story, and I hope that you are willing to accept yet one new member.

Regards.

P.S.: I have a couple of problems with the light brown hat and the black one (not the old one);
The brims of these two are not easy to handle, for the slightest touch will un-snap them (Though the light brown one is now starting to stay in place); and the black one is a bit too big.
Now, can something be done about these?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Pictures removed, for they were too big...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
If you are in Argentina from the looks on the labels in the hats , then you dont have too many options . If a hat is slightly big you can put in some foam tape under the leather and it will fit a little snugger .
There is a hat factory in Argentina called Lagormarsino that might be able to size up the hat a little better if you can find them . They probably made the hats . :)

Vintage

New in Town
I think I have heard abput Lagomarsino before, I'll look it up and I'll see if I can do something about them.
Thanks for the tip ;)

MJL

One of the Regulars
Hola Amiga! I live outside Miami, Florida. I have taken to wearing hats to work. I get comments; some nice, some rude. You have to be you. My attitude is that I am a walking anachronism. A throw back to an earlier time. I think I share that thought with more than a few here. I am a shy person by nature. The hat serves two functions for me. It covers my balding head in the tropical sun and it allows me to start conversations with folks who I would not otherwise have talked to. The problem with me is that I cannot find really good examples of vintage hats in my size!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ask this guy, he looks like he knows something about hats in Argentina...

gaucho.jpg

Bienvenidos, Caballero....

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Biltmore Bob - Picture

BB - I told you that you could not publish my photo without my expressed written consent.!!!!!! Cause of Action???? Hmmmm How do I PROVE its me??

Vintage

New in Town
Thanks for the warm welcome; it's great to be here.
My avatar is just a pic from a PC game called Mafia, but I'll post a pic of myself someday...

For the time being, here are a couple of the pics I removed:

Oh, and Riccardo, I'd be glad to give you some advice, just ask ;)

Regards,
Bruce.

Bebop

Practically Family
Welcome. It is nice to see that I am not the only Argentino on this forum. I had a hat that my grandfather passed on to me. My mother has photos of me wearing it at 3 years old and at 45 years old. It was stolen along with the car it was in (for 10 minutes) and I don't recall the manufacturer but it was one great hat that would of lasted, and probably will, many more years. Your hats are very similar to my grandfathers. Very nice.
I now live in the U.S. and miss the great Buenos Aires night life, the empanadas, milanesas, and vino tinto from Mendoza where I was born. :beer:

Vintage

New in Town
It's a shame that your hat got stolen, it shure would have been nice to take a look at it. Could the manufacturer be a place called Maidana?, for what I heard down here, it's the most classic hat store in BA.
You know, I have many relatives who left the country some years ago, and they all happen to miss the food and the landscapes of the city...
Such as that old tango says, "Las callecitas de Buenos Aires tienen ese no-se-que..."

Bebop

Practically Family
I don't recall the name Maidana anywhere on my hat. I will ask my mother if she knows where my grandfather got his hat. I think he lived in Olivos when he purchased it before moving to Mendoza.
Buenos Aires has that "no se que" more than any other city I have ever been to. I live in San Francisco and it too has that "no se que" that is difficult to put into words. You can't just be a tourist to experience that feeling. You have to live in it to know what is meant by "no se que".

Vintage

New in Town
Thanks for nice words, K.D.

And, Bebop, if you manage to get the name of the manufacturer, I'll be glas to hear about it. Olivos?, I don't know about a hat shop around there; but times were different back then. According to my father, there used to be hat shops all around back on the old days, it's a shame it is not like that any more...
You know, my uncle lives in San Francisco, and his described that city like that as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou