Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Am considering buying a stetson hat. Looking specifically at the Firenze, Pinnacle or maybe temple. I like the midsize brims, around 2 1/4 inch so probably Firenze.

I wonder what the Firenze hat looks like, it is a silk finish. Is it shiny? Some pictures show shininess, others dont so much.

Also, how is the royal quality vs sovereign? Is there a difference as far as looks, feel, etc.

Are Stetson hat stiffer than other brand hats? If so is that a good thing, and can I make it soften?

Lastly, do the hats have tags now, or pins?

Have info about stetson hats by snippets from here, and trying on Stetson cowboy hats, but have never seen or felt a "fashion hat". Looking for comparison info for the hats and the quality of the different finishes if you can.

Thanks anyone!

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Modern Stetsons are somewhat stiff. Is it good? Define "good." The stiffness of the felt does not necessarily denote quality, only the amount of stiffener. Whether one finds this good or not is in the eye of the beholder. It certainly makes it harder to reshape, but that will be the case for any modern hat with a blocked in crease.

Last I saw, Stetson had shifted over to tags, not pins.

Modern dress Stetsons are not extremely well regarded here, partially because most of us just prefer vintage styled hats, but also because Stetson's quality relative to yesteryear is just not what it was.

new2hats

A-List Customer

new2hats

A-List Customer
Modern Stetsons are somewhat stiff. Is it good? Define "good." The stiffness of the felt does not necessarily denote quality, only the amount of stiffener. Whether one finds this good or not is in the eye of the beholder. It certainly makes it harder to reshape, but that will be the case for any modern hat with a blocked in crease.

Last I saw, Stetson had shifted over to tags, not pins.

Modern dress Stetsons are not extremely well regarded here, partially because most of us just prefer vintage styled hats, but also because Stetson's quality relative to yesteryear is just not what it was.

JL-

Not sure if stiffer is more or less comfortable, as my panama hats are soft and conform well and feel great. I may like stiffer because it seems like it would be more durable (?)

I partially want to get a stetson because of the history of the hat, and it's cowboyishness- even their 'fashion' line. Almost like its a tough guy hat.
Don't want a firenze if its too sheeny, that's kind of girly though.

It sounds like most hats these days are not as good as the vintage hats, but I can not find any vintage hats for my size that I like (so far).

Can the tag be removed like the pin, or is it stuck there forever? The photos on lots of the websites still show pins, so I wasnt sure if only certain lines have changed over, or all of them!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
JL-

Not sure if stiffer is more or less comfortable, as my panama hats are soft and conform well and feel great. I may like stiffer because it seems like it would be more durable (?)

I partially want to get a stetson because of the history of the hat, and it's cowboyishness- even their 'fashion' line. Almost like its a tough guy hat.
Don't want a firenze if its too sheeny, that's kind of girly though.

It sounds like most hats these days are not as good as the vintage hats, but I can not find any vintage hats for my size that I like (so far).

Can the tag be removed like the pin, or is it stuck there forever? The photos on lots of the websites still show pins, so I wasnt sure if only certain lines have changed over, or all of them!

Stiffness does not have a real, tangible correlation to durability. For a fur felt hat, the amount of water protection and/or type of water protection treatment its given is a much larger factor for durability than the stiffness of the hat. For a dress felt hat, the stiffness of the hat shouldn't interfere with the fit unless it's blocked into the wrong oval shape for one's head.

The tags can be removed, they're attached with a light adhesive.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I own a mink pinnacle and can attest to it softness. I've gotten many favorable comments on it. The crown is a bit tapered but it works well with the brim shape. I've read on the lounge that you can get a very good deal by phoning Hatco and see if they have one in the "discount" shop.
Tom D.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I have a stetson Bear Creek (really a Chatham) in Sovereign grade.It is very soft and gets softer as time goes on. I wear it for work daily (Im a farmer) and it takes a lot of abuse. It is comfortable and I like it. This summer I had it cleaned and reblocked and it came back better than new. I would buy another.

new2hats

A-List Customer
Am considering purchasing the Firenze. I have tried on cowboy hats from Stetson and my size is 7 1/8. But my Christy's hat and panama hats are 7 1/4.

Will the Firenze sizing be the same as the Stetson cowboy hats?

I also think I know what bothers me about really stiff hats, it seems like they are cardboard or plasticky if you know what I mean. I find the Stetson cowboy hats to be stiff like that.

Still considering...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Someone observed here a few years ago that in the old days, formal hats like derbies were stiff, and cowboy hats were floppy. Now formal hats are floppy, and cowboy hats are stiff. I don't know what that proves, but I thought it was interesting.

One Too Many
Am considering buying a stetson hat. Looking specifically at the Firenze, Pinnacle or maybe temple. I like the midsize brims, around 2 1/4 inch so probably Firenze.

I wonder what the Firenze hat looks like, it is a silk finish. Is it shiny? Some pictures show shininess, others dont so much.

Also, how is the royal quality vs sovereign? Is there a difference as far as looks, feel, etc.

Are Stetson hat stiffer than other brand hats? If so is that a good thing, and can I make it soften?

Lastly, do the hats have tags now, or pins?

Have info about stetson hats by snippets from here, and trying on Stetson cowboy hats, but have never seen or felt a "fashion hat". Looking for comparison info for the hats and the quality of the different finishes if you can.

Thanks anyone!

Any Stetson sold is a guarante of quality, I love specially a Temple ¡¡¡¡

One Too Many
DSC02895.jpg

Working with a STETSON ¡¡¡¡

new2hats

A-List Customer
Am considering purchasing the Firenze. I have tried on cowboy hats from Stetson and my size is 7 1/8. But my Christy's hat and panama hats are 7 1/4.

Will the Firenze sizing be the same as the Stetson cowboy hats?

I also think I know what bothers me about really stiff hats, it seems like they are cardboard or plasticky if you know what I mean. I find the Stetson cowboy hats to be stiff like that.

Still considering...

Can anyone answer my question about sizing- will the Stetson fedoras be the same as the Stetson cowboy hat for fit, or different be different because they are softer?

Can anyone answer my question about sizing- will the Stetson fedoras be the same as the Stetson cowboy hat for fit, or different be different because they are softer?
Stetson fedora sizes are same as westerns for me, modern that is. Since they no longer do long ovals, they are rounder than my LO noggin. The westerns are stiffer due to heavier weight felt, so fedoras adjust more readily to my ovalness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider