Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York, New York...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Quick question. Currently in NY, having a great time apart from the obvious er stuff, but I'm trying to find a Wesco boot stockist in the city and I'll be damned if I can locate one, Can anyone help me?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@Sloan1874 you are visiting NYC at an interesting time post election but think most of the protest in downtown Manhattan has dwindled down subsequent to Wednesday night. Looking forward to hearing about your experience there on your return to Scotland.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Quick question. Currently in NY, having a great time apart from the obvious er stuff, but I'm trying to find a Wesco boot stockist in the city and I'll be damned if I can locate one, Can anyone help me?

Had a quick Google but found nothing. Their website has;

"Find a dealer near you:
Tel: 503-543-7114, Ext. 200 or 210
Toll Free (U.S. & Canada only): 800-326-2711, Ext. 200 or 210"

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Denim and gentlemen, I'm just started getting into the stand-up-by-itself denim/jeans and need some advice. Went to Self Edge and felt some Japanese jeans, very very thick and stiff, compared to the mainstream Levi's, it's like Vanson vs Schott. Question, does Levi also use such thick denim and sell here in NYC so I can maybe save $200 instead of buying a pair of $330 Japanese jeans?

Denim and gentlemen, I'm just started getting into the stand-up-by-itself denim/jeans and need some advice. Went to Self Edge and felt some Japanese jeans, very very thick and stiff, compared to the mainstream Levi's, it's like Vanson vs Schott. Question, does Levi also use such thick denim and sell here in NYC so I can maybe save $200 instead of buying a pair of $330 Japanese jeans?
Gustin has two denims running now. One is 23oz, one is 17oz. Both are affordable and good quality. I still like my Gustin denims. Their other offerings do nothing for me, but the jeans are good.
https://www.weargustin.com/store?category=Jeans

Blackadder

One of the cheapest heavy weight (20oz plus) denim off the rack is Unbranded and you can find them in NYC. Japanese selvedge denim sewed in Macau hence the more affordable prices.
http://theunbrandedbrand.com/collections/types?constraint=21oz&q=jeans
Another more affordable brand is Kojima Genes but I doubt they are available in the States.
Can't comment on the Unbranded's quality because do not own them. Have only seen them in a shop. Have a few Kojima's items. IMO Kojima have great quality stuffs at very affordable prices.

BowsTrading

Familiar Face

The Levi's store in the meatpacking district sells their high end levis vintage clothing jeans that are made of a nicer denim, nowhere near as thick and stiff as Japanese stuff but will still run you around $300

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
...and felt some Japanese jeans, very very thick and stiff...
Hello sailor!

Joking aside, I've noticed a tendency among clothing and shoe nerds to prefer stiff and heavy cloth and leather, which I suspect they think means it's better. Not always. Check out some good quality vintage jackets and shoes.

tropicalbob

I agree with Butte about the Gustins: I have five pairs of them now and am awaiting my sixth (American Fourteeners - $79.00). For the prices they can't be beat. If only I could find some of the same quality at those prices with higher rises and/or belted backs.

regius

Hello sailor!

Joking aside, I've noticed a tendency among clothing and shoe nerds to prefer stiff and heavy cloth and leather, which I suspect they think means it's better. Not always. Check out some good quality vintage jackets and shoes.
hi, by no means i think thicker means better.

regius

Hello sailor!

In fact, one major concern when the fabric got too thick is they start to weigh down on themselves. The pattern and rise will have to change to accommodate the increase in stiffness and weight. I personally am a high waist pants guy! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Unbranded 21oz are not bad quality at all, for the price. The buttons are a bit cheap, though, and because of the design can be hard to use initially - a couple of them came off, but a alterer's shop replaced them for a few quid. I doubt I'd go any higher than 23oz, really, and even then, I've not found a 23oz i could live with yet - I couldn't button the Iron Hearts I tried on at the Aero sale, so I swapped them for a pair of much lighter archive 30s Lee jeans and don't regret it a bit.

Edward

Bartender
Unbranded 21oz are not bad quality at all, for the price. The buttons are a bit cheap, though, and because of the design can be hard to use initially - a couple of them came off, but a alterer's shop replaced them for a few quid. I doubt I'd go any higher than 23oz, really, and even then, I've not found a 23oz i could live with yet - I couldn't button the Iron Hearts I tried on at the Aero sale, so I swapped them for a pair of much lighter archive 30s Lee jeans and don't regret it a bit.

How are the Unbranded in cut? I looked at Gustin at a time, but they're all far too 'modern' for me.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Not sure if its a blessing or a curse but unbrandeds cut is the best fitting jean i have found for my narrow ass.

I have a pair of the heavy weights and have had several others. I wanted a slim leg and actually bought a pair of skinnys 2 waist sizes larger than usual and it actually worked.

My first few pairs showed beautiful fading but the last several not as much as quickly. I hope they havent gone to lower quality denim but for me the inexpensive cost is well worth it for the fit.

Agree with Sloan completely about the buttons. You need bionic fingers to operate them when new and i have also had a couple break.

Edward

Bartender
Slim and low-rise. Can't wear them with a short jacket, it feels odd. Unusually, I haven't worn them at all this winter.

Ah, that's a pity. The lack of a decent vintage cut is what puts me off most of these current makers. Can't blame them fro chasing a profitable market, but it seems odd so many of them don't evne have one vintage-style option, given that the vintage workwear market is a fairly stable thing...

Edward

Bartender
The Gustin Straight Fit is more or less like Levi 505. I can't wear Gustin's Slim Fit as the lower front rise bites into my crotch.

Yes, I had the same problem with most Levis I tried, especially the 501s. I think there's only the LVC line would work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot