Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York, New York...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Right, despite the godawful exchange rate, we are going to New York in November. I need to tap into the Lounge's collective knowledge for recommendations on decent vintage/denim places to go - all suggestions welcome!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here is one link I found:
http://threads.dappered.com/showthread.php/16668-Levi-s-501-STF-Rigid-Selvedge-In-Stores

Might be worthwhile to check out Levis stores in NYC for selvedge denim:
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=levi's+stores+in+nyc

One of the few remaining benchmade shoe manufacturers is Alden, and there is a fantastic Alden Store in NYC. Be sure to check out their shell cordovan that will likely outlive you but not inexpensive though.

I hope the weather is not as bitterly cold there in November as during your Chicago November trip. :eek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Richard. I'm hoping the start of November will be a little more forgiving than the end of it!

You are usually fine up to Thanksgiving. Don't miss Brooklyn for all things "maker".
My top stop is always The Strand Bookstore.
Self Edge, RRL, Wolverine, Real McCoys, Blue in Green, Epaulet are all Downtown.
If you need a leather bag, The Village Tannery makes the best! Mine's lasted 25 years so far. (On Bleeker St)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Early November in NYC should be fine, maybe similar to early September in Scotland. :D

You'll miss Inspiration NY unless you can bump up to Oct 15th.
I can recommend some great food places if you wish...PM if you want. Others still in the area will know a great more than me.

breezer

Practically Family
in my experience the vintage stuff is over priced…….and as you probably know the prices at Self Edge are eye watering. Still worth a look though…...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I'm sure they'll end up chasing me off with a broom for messing up their windows by pressing my nose against them.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
If you want to get a taste of the lost days of 1970s NYC, plus have a thousand choices for dinner or drinks, I suggest walking about the East Village (1st and 2nd Avenues and Avenue A and the east/west Streets surrounding them, plus the small streets which reach down to Delancy). This area has not yet been massively redeveloped into a sea of modern skyscrapers and bland chain stores*, and thankfully contains lots of restaurants and bars and small shops of all kinds**, plus a lot of regular people (i.e. not billionaires or multi-millionaires) living in old style apartment buildings and houses. There are many side streets in the East Village where they still don't have street lights, so walking around there at night is a fun experience for out-of-towners. Also, if you like walking, you can head over to see the PJs on the east side of Avenue D, but stay on the Avenue and go during the day - if you're lucky you'll see some of New York's Finest on the roofs with binoculars trying to spot dealers.

One warning: Wherever you go, if you're walking please keep an eye out for bicyclists, who are almost all aggressive a$$holes with chips on their shoulders and with no respect for pedestrians or motorized vehicles. Yeah, I'm not p.c. but I get by.

* Having been to NYC in the 80s twice, once on an organized school trip where we went everywhere, then again a couple years after 9/11, then again in 2014, I was amazed to see on my most recent visit how large sections of Manhattan are now either all tourists or empty with no street life. This was simply not the case back in the 80s. The city is clearly not the bubbling cauldron of humanity it was only a few decades ago and in some large sections it no longer has any street life. I guess much of that has moved to places like Brooklyn, etc.

** There's a place that does lobster sandwiches which are an excellent quickie lunch, plus a place that does deep fried hot dogs.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Definitely need to hit up Self Edge and Blue in Green for denim. I love Manhattan. I'm jealous you're going!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the nicest (and cheapest) ways to spend some time and get some perspective on the city is to take the Staten Island Ferry from the southern tip of the island across the harbor and back. I believe it still only costs the price of a subway token. Beer, German pretzles, and hotdogs are a must.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Oh, excellent suggestions TB and Dr. Green and Blue's an excellent call, too. The number of times I've blanched at their prices, but, you know, it's a shop I've read a lot about.
Interestingly, the guy who will be hosting us runs this little business. I may have to avail him of one of his belts:
http://awlxmaul.com/#home

dqm45

New in Town
It may not be what folks here like, but Epaulet is a great store. RRL makes nice clothing, but way too over priced IMO for MiC goods.
Alden's Color 8 is the one to get. IMHO, Alden, in general, is not much better than Cheaney, and definitely not C&J.

Filson is worth checking out, even if they are owned by a hedge fund.

New York is great. So much to do and see.

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
NYC has changed dramatically in the past 11 years. I work in the Chelsea/Meatpacking District and it's truly shocking what it's become. The tourists are pretty out to lunch (walking 5 people wide on the sidewalks) and as mentioned above, the bicyclists are total idiots. But that being said, the MP district is the new "it" area, so the scenery of lovely young models is always a treat when you're strolling to and from work... :rolleyes:

I have my Levi's tailored at the Levi's boutique on 14th St & 9th ave and they have a new custom jeans service. Great selection of denim, thread, rivets, etc... and there are 2 price points: $750 & $950. What??? Excuse me? Yes. I don't know who buys these, but it makes leather jackets seem like a steal (and they last for decades)! This area is def worth checking out as the streets aren't on a grid and it's loaded with excellent restaurants and shops. Take the L train to 8th ave, walk to 9th ave down 14th and check out everything south of 14th street.

Noteworthy points:
• The Highline - converted disused elevated railway line into multi block green/architecture walkway with great view of east river.
• Chelsea Market (excellent sushi bar - The Lobster Place & oyster bar Cull & Pistol - their salmon poké is excellent)
• Gansevoort Market
• Shops in and around MPacking 9th/10th aves & 14th St.
• Mighty Quinn's BBQ (outrageous brisket sandwich)

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24