Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie alert! What do you think of my new Panama?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I’m a newbie here, and I thought it would be most appropriate to begin by sharing some photos of my first hat, a Panama hat, and to respectfully take profit of your proven expertise on these matters – I got the hat as a present, and do not know about its actual quality/worth. I like the hat, but knowing something more about it would be fine. It is not about evaluating its worth as a present – the question is I plan on acquiring more hats, and knowing about this first hat’s actual standard would help.

It is an Italian Tesi, 5,5 cm (2.2 in) brim. It has a leather brow band, marked “Genuine Panama – Woven in Ecuador”, and a crown liner marked “Creazioni L & G Tesi” –“Made in Italy”, and “Brisas”, I imagine this is the model. A faint oval-shaped ink stamp is visible in the inside of the crown, barely legible, something like “Made in Ecuador”. I have perused some hat vendor websites, and Tesi’s own website, but have been unable to identify the actual model and characteristics. I have found these likely candidates…

http://bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=113&subcname=Tesi
http://bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=112&subcname=Tesi

…but they are stated to have a 3 in brim, which fact seems to rule out them. The ribbon in these candidates looks narrower than the one in my hat, too.

I know this was acquired here in Barcelona, Spain, at one of the few existing classic hat shops, and that it is a modern (i. e. non-vintage) hat. The person who bought the hat is not familiarized with hat matters, although supposedly the shop owner provided sound advice – I do not know how much was spent, so I can not mention what budget are we speaking of, although I would say it is not a lower end cheap hat.

I have tried to attach some photos showing detail, including straw weave. I know these are not high quality photos, but I hope they may suffice.

Any insights welcome!

Regards,

Daniel

074.jpg

091.jpg

076.jpg

086.jpg

090.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the FL Torpedo. I don't know squat about Panama hats but there are a bunch of people here who do. You will enjoy it here at any rate:eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Torp' - welcome aboard!

To me, the "worth" of a hat is all in how I feel/think I look when wearing it. This hat looks pretty stylish in its dimensions and blocking and with a fairly good weave. I'm not one of the Panama Straw Experts around here but I think you did pretty well for starters.

I do notice some raggedy little straw ends around the brim edge. Haven't had those develop in that area on my Panamas but I have had a couple of them poke out here and there on some straw hats, so I carefully use fingernail clippers to nip 'em away nice and close.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Welcome

Hi Daniel,

I think it is a peroxyde-bleached Cuenca brisa hat.
Cuenca is a town located in the highlands of Ecuador where they produce some 1 million hand-woven hats per year and Brisa is one type of weave.
This hat is nice - good as souvenir and to use it every day - the loose weave ventillates well.
I have started with a similar model - in natural straw color and paid some 70 USD at a local hatter -it can be had cheaper.
Brisa (breeze) hats are useful and you will wear them a lot in the summer.
PanamaBob who is a vendor (and the true expert!!!!) has now a sale on e-bay so you can snap similar models for very attractive prices.
If you are looking for fine Panama hats (Montecristi finos), he can help you too.
You find a lot of info here at the Lounge.
All genuine panama hats are woven in Ecuador - this hat was shaped and ribboned in Italy.

Best>

Tom

Socrets

Familiar Face
Welcome to Lounge!

On a related note, the hat looks great. As long it fits and makes you look good, the cost is usually worth it (unless you paid more than $1000 then no.). On an unrelated note, I don't suppose you know the address of said classical hat shop in Barcelona?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the warm reception!

Following, some specific replies - no offence intended for those having posted generic welcome messages, all are appreciated! :D

'Gene, the nail clipper suggestion seems a good way to improve the appearance of the hat. I will try it!

Cookie, Tom, you mention Panama Bob, and I have seen this name often in this site. I have tried a Google and a Ebay research, unsuccessfully, probably I did not do it right. Could you please provide an URL?

Socrets, in fact I know where the hat came from, because it was in an appropriately labelled box... Sombrereria Mil, C/ Fontanella 20, Barcelona 08010. URL www.sombrereriamil.com

Nice to meet you all!

Daniel

Socrets

Familiar Face
Thanks for the address and site Torpedo. I just checked the site out and all I can really say is GOLD!!! So many hats, so many styles!! I'm gonna go broke before I leave Spain but will be oh so satisfied. :essen: Now, how I'm gonna get them to the states without ruining them and breaking the bank is another question I have to figure out...

Torpedo

One Too Many
Socrets said:
Thanks for the address and site Torpedo. I just checked the site out and all I can really say is GOLD!!! So many hats, so many styles!! I'm gonna go broke before I leave Spain but will be oh so satisfied. :essen: Now, how I'm gonna get them to the states without ruining them and breaking the bank is another question I have to figure out...

I do not know if you are planning to do some tourism, but if you do, Sombrereria Mil is located in the city center, at the edge of the Old Quarters, which include the Cathedral and many other interesting Medieval Gothic style buildings (and some Roman remains too), and the famous Ramblas avenue; and a short walk from the Passeig de Gràcia, where many Modernist buildings are to be seen.

I hope you enjoy the stay!

Daniel

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Nice Panama

That's a nice panama. I wear panamas daily here in Florida, with a weave just about like that. Great wearers, and not so expensive that you worry about getting caught in the rain. Enjoy the hat! F_M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner