Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice VTG 1940s Brown Fleck 3 Piece Tweed Suit

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Makes me wonder why suitings are so bland and boring nowadays. What makes designers think people want only dark blues and charcoal?

It's true that the fabric would be difficult to find, but I suspect not impossible. One would have to convince a mill/weaver to use oodles of those very interesting flocking colours.

IIRC, I have a sportscoat in very similar fabric. But, again IIRC, the flocks, in equally interesting colours, are partially arranged into an overcheck. I'll have to check and post pics when i get back.

bk

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Suits these days are very boring. I went into a very well-known high-end clothing shop in town last week. And the suits section is a sea of black, grey, midnight blue, navy blue, black, grey, navy blue, blue pinstripe, black pinstripe, grey pinstripe, black, grey, grey, black, charcoal grey, midnight black and...black.

There wasn't a single suit there that was anything other than that. It was SO boring...

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If they want other people than businessmen to start wearing suits again they ought to try some interesting colours, fabrics that drape well and cuts that flatter the wearer. Doesn't sound that difficult, no?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If they want other people than businessmen to start wearing suits again they ought to try some interesting colours, fabrics that drape well and cuts that flatter the wearer. Doesn't sound that difficult, no?

Rudie, that won't happen until you convince people that a suit isn't FORMALWEAR.

I stand by what I say in any court of the world, when I say that A SUIT IS CASUALWEAR.

Ask anyone and see how many people agree with you.

If you're like most of the people I know, then a suit is formalwear.

To me, a suit is casualwear. It's what it'll always be. And until others see that as well, nobody will wear them. And until they do, suits will continue to be boring.

Times were, that a suit was a mark of respectability. Self-respect, respect for others, pride, a mark of success and possibly, affluence.

These days, a suit is a mark of boredom, rigidity, formality and blandness. So nobody wears them. If you want people to start wearing suits again, you gotta break that mold. But it's a mold that's been around for at least 50 years...so you may have a bit of work ahead of you...

I wrote about this very issue in my blog. You can read it here:

http://scheong.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/suited-up-stuffy-or-stylish/

Basically, it's a look at the history of the suit and its place in society...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters