Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Night Owls only

Bugguy

Practically Family
I'm up. I'm starting a new job at work that requires me to be clocked in at 4 am.

My wife works as a dialysis nurse and she clocks at 4:15 - 10 hr shifts. She's wasted by 6 PM shortly after I get home. She's chronically fatigued. But not as bad as when we owned a bakery - 2:30 AM to make the donuts so I could get them to the gas stations by 6.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
*Hoot*

Make glad and sorry seasons as thou fleet'st,
And do whate'er thou wilt, swift-footed time....

Shakespeare

A Cinderella night owl again tonite. Any other owls flyin'?

Reading A Deceitful Book: Robert B. Stinnett's "Day of Deceit" by Rear Admiral Richard E. Young USN (Ret)

The admiral scores some hits but displays his lack of overall subject grasp.:coffee:shakeshead

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
*Hoot*

I've decided to return to the emperor's court
once more I shall see if it's possible to live there
I could stay here in this remote province
under the full sweet leaves of the sycamore
and the gentle rule of sickly nepotists

Zbigniew Herbert, The Return Of The Proconsul

Machiavelli's The Prince. Philosopher and knave.

Cinderella night owl -

Reading On the Treadmill to Pearl Harbor; The Memoirs of Admiral J.O. Richardson:coffee:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Cinderella's hour or later, a very light sleeper, and awake by four bells
chimed by the parish church nearby. Or out all night.
My first cup of coffee is sipped at dawn while sitting in my car outside the office.
Cool mornings, hot java, and Glen Miller's Moonlight Serenade, the official night owl theme. :)

*Hoot*
A completely unexpected four-day fugitive from the office weekend; tinkering with a PhD thesis that is going nowhere,
and reading Sara Teasdale's poem, Moonlight,
The heart asks more than life can give,
When that is learned, than all is learned....
And some Ezra Pound, Homage To Sextus Propertius.

:coffee:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
When I really can't sleep I lie in bed in a comfy position and recite the poem Lepanto in my head, syncronising the rhythm of the words with my breathing. Of course that requires knowing Lepanto. !

And it has held up ever since above the European lances the banner of the mystery of chivalry.

GKC

Orthodoxy is a real knockout. ;)

*Hoot*

A night owl again tonite. Some thesis work and poetry, Pound and Marianne Moore. :coffee:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
When I was in the army, one of my favourite memories was doing rapelling at night out in the country
and seeing the unbelievable vibrancy of the stars...

My outfit once was caught beneath a brilliant night sky. Orion the Hunter shone such brilliance we used his diamond stars
to encircle the bevel and Cross for our team ring's design. Sometimes the hunter, but more often the hare. [angel]

*Hoot* early bird night owl this night. Simone Weil's The Need For Roots, with a preface by T.S. Eliot, whose remarks
may hold the key to the enigmatic riddle of Simone, whose early death precludes easy and sure philosophic decipher. :coffee:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My outfit once was caught beneath a brilliant night sky. Orion the Hunter shone such brilliance we used his diamond stars
to encircle the bevel and Cross for our team ring's design. Sometimes the hunter, but more often the hare. [angel]

*Hoot* early bird night owl this night. Simone Weil's The Need For Roots, with a preface by T.S. Eliot, whose remarks
may hold the key to the enigmatic riddle of Simone, whose early death precludes easy and sure philosophic decipher. :coffee:

I remember one night, I was coming in for a landing, on the horizon in front of me, the Army must have been on maneuvers, there were beautiful flairs maybe a dozen floating down, artillery burst and the night sky was particularly vibrant with stars. Suddenly over the radio, I hear the tower call me and say, "you are landing on our field, aren't you!" Back to reality, and a quick decent to final.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Teaching must be like the service. Do they pay you salary too or hourly?

*Hoot*

Salary derives-as I recall-from the Roman coin called a solari; currency paid a Legion dogface for a day's service.
"Three hots and a cot" pro patria. ;)
(

*Hoot*
Eliot has pointed me towards Gabriella Fiori's Simone Weil; An Intellectual Biography.
A Saturday night busted flush early bird night owl again. :coffee:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
It lives!
The Night-owl thread is still cracking wide its bleary eyes, it's my only night shift this month, but I thought I'd check on the thread and see if anyone was up and about.

Any other owls out there?

If so, I'm curious, what nocturnal proclivities do you find yourself doing late at night? For me it's anything but reading... leaning towards mostly movie watching.

*Hoot* Night owl again. Any other owls flyin'?

Thesis work and Holding on Upside Down; The Life and Work of Marianne Moore by Linda Leavell. :coffee:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I'm a pretty big night owl. I'm usually either online or watching television late into the night when I don't have school. Not a huge party guy, but I tend to get out more when the holidays roll around. When I've got school, however, I'm usually either in bed, or up studying for classes the next day.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Mine isn't by choice either WHW.
However, I usually have a routine for settling down in the evenings, that works most of the time.
Unless the wife comes to bed later than usual, and I wake up more than 2-3x.
Anything past that number and my brain decides it's 5am and sleep time is over. :eusa_doh:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Mine isn't by choice either WHW.
However, I usually have a routine for settling down in the evenings, that works most of the time.
Unless the wife comes to bed later than usual, and I wake up more than 2-3x.
Anything past that number and my brain decides it's 5am and sleep time is over. :eusa_doh:

I do not have anyone to wake me up, so I cannot say that is part of my problem. :) I even tried the Rx sleep aids, but I am not one to use such and quickly tossed those aside.
So I will just keep watching the sunrise. :D
Glad to see I am not the only one though.

I do not have anyone to wake me up, so I cannot say that is part of my problem. :) I even tried the Rx sleep aids, but I am not one to use such and quickly tossed those aside.
So I will just keep watching the sunrise. :D
Glad to see I am not the only one though.

Nothing wrong with watching the sunrise. Perhaps you're not really a night owl after all?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Recently retired. I stay up watching cable, go online or at my bike projects.
I started staying up to 1 or 2 AM.

I now go to bed about 3-4 AM & wake up around 1-2 PM.
I miss the mornings though !

My plan is to continue until I have made a complete cycle until I reach the time period
where I can go to bed at midnight & get up in the morning around 7 or 8 AM.
Not sure if this is possible . The trick will be if I can stop the cycle & stay on this :clock:

One thing I love is Sunday evenings feel different in a good way knowing I don't have to get up early
Monday for work.
And staying in bed when it's freezing outside.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner