Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Brand leather jackets from Japan

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Does anyone have any experience with these horsehide jackets being offered from sellers in Japan on eBay? They all seem to be in the $400-$500 range, and look really nice at first glance. I can’t imagine they are being made with Shinki or the like at that price. I wonder if they’re actually made in Japan or imported to Japan from another Asian country... I asked a seller, and they said that the product is “tailored by a Japanese manufacturer”. I’m tempted to give one a try, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has an experience either positive or negative before I do. Thanks
4368FBA7-144B-431F-A8C1-08E6F1E6CB6A.png

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
^^ Yes, they seem to be newer to the bay recently, and spreading like crazy. I’ve only noticed them in the last couple of months. Even if they are Chinese and are made well, the temptation is definitely there, but that price point falls in a weird category for me to pull the trigger. $200, no biggie, still good money, but worth the gamble if it’s something decent. $400 though... that’s a nice chunk towards a name I trust. They accept returns, but that just seems like a headache to me.

^^ Yes, they seem to be newer to the bay recently, and spreading like crazy. I’ve only noticed them in the last couple of months. Even if they are Chinese and are made well, the temptation is definitely there, but that price point falls in a weird category for me to pull the trigger. $200, no biggie, still good money, but worth the gamble if it’s something decent. $400 though... that’s a nice chunk towards a name I trust. They accept returns, but that just seems like a headache to me.
Agreed 100%. $200, maybe $250 and I’ll roll the dice. The one Cidu I had was far, far worse than my worst 5 star so my thought is always to cop the design, tweak it and let Shawn have a crack. that said there’s always that chance that it could be great. My gut says they are not worth the asking price though. The pics look....very processed.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any experience with these horsehide jackets being offered from sellers in Japan on eBay? They all seem to be in the $400-$500 range, and look really nice at first glance. I can’t imagine they are being made with Shinki or the like at that price. I wonder if they’re actually made in Japan or imported to Japan from another Asian country... I asked a seller, and they said that the product is “tailored by a Japanese manufacturer”. I’m tempted to give one a try, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has an experience either positive or negative before I do. Thanks View attachment 318347
AliExpress has it for $255.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Sooo... I think this is enough info about them for me to shy away. Thanks everyone for chiming in! I’ll look forward to reading anything else said about them

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I've handled a couple in person.

- A United Arrows J31 clone (freewheelers centinela). It was a hell of a lot cheaper than a real FW, and for what I paid for it, actually a good value. Leather wasn't bad. Unfortunately it was a size too small for me, and the previous owner had cut off the attached belt. I sold it on, but would have been happy enough with it to keep it had it been my size. For 10-20x more, I could get a real FW, and I'm sure it would be a better jacket, but I doubt 10-20x better.

- Pineal Jet Type II trucker + handwarmer pockets. It's labeled horsehide, whether it is or not, I can't say. I like it. 2XL = size 42. Lining is just a cheap polyester, but at $225 it's not like I'm expecting more than that. Leather is 1.3mm thick according to my measurement, but it doesn't seem that thick (I guess I'm used to 2mm crazy thick jackets now.) I'm happy enough with it to keep it, no regrets about trying it, but if it were 1.5mm-1.6mm I'd be more than happy. Some jackets sold on Ali Express claim 1.5-1.6mm thickness.

I have my doubts about a lot of what I see for sale on that marketplace, though. Some sellers have very deceptive photos. Apparently Theodoros from Thedi models for many of these sellers as a side gig to undercut his own business (they are clearly selling knockoff jackets using images they steal from him.)

Some photos are clearly of several different jackets not even the same style, clear differences between one photo and the next, and you can't tell what you're even getting. Steer well clear of those.

There are some Japanese and Chinese brands that are good quality and I like: Bronson, Non-stock, Sauce Zhan, Red Tornado, Bob Dong, all make good quality reproduction American vintage style clothing. They carry some leather as well but I haven't seen any in person. But they do good denim, flannel, chambray fabrics. Well made, precisely sewn, sturdy. Not cheap, but a good value for the price. You generally get what you paid for.

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
While it is admittedly not what was advertised, I bet it isn't too bad for the money. At least the copies are made in sizes big enough for me. I wish that the Japanese would make larger sizes.
My $150 Freewheelers Sunset copy surfing jacket gets worn every once in a while.:p

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any experience with these horsehide jackets being offered from sellers in Japan on eBay? They all seem to be in the $400-$500 range, and look really nice at first glance. I can’t imagine they are being made with Shinki or the like at that price. I wonder if they’re actually made in Japan or imported to Japan from another Asian country... I asked a seller, and they said that the product is “tailored by a Japanese manufacturer”. I’m tempted to give one a try, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has an experience either positive or negative before I do. Thanks View attachment 318347
are those belt loops decoration only, seems very narrow for typical belt width to fit into it. but that has high stitch count and from picture no wonky stitching to be seen from outside, only wonky blazer style welt I see. I mean there you have it high stitch count can be done at $255 range... myth busted?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ