Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Love For Black Hats

GregNYC

One Too Many
I have two black felts and on black straw Milan. One felt is a pork pie. The other one is a Sinatra-style Borsa stingy. I agree with Bank earlier. In NYC there is the prominent religious connotation for black fedoras with generous proportions. So all things considered, I go for gray and brown when choosing wide-brim fedoras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here was the Black Beast, in question. I decided to sew on a Burgandy ribbon with a double bow. Afterward, I traded the beast for two late '70s Resistol Stagecoaches that had never been worn. All the tags were still attached and the sweats and liners were in "like new" condition. The Stagecoaches will see new life as conversions...Here's the Black Beast after I put the Burgandy ribbon on it....(Akubra Squatter).

Black_Beast_09.jpg

Black_Beast_03.jpg

Black_Beast_01.jpg

Black_Beast_02.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This thread has definitely revived my interest in black hats. Years ago I bought a NOS Borsalino Alessandria from Meyer's in black. A sharp-looking hat. But I got so many "Orthodox?" comments that I decided it wasn't right for me, and gave it away. For me, I think, a black hat makes such a strong statement that to combine it with a wide brim, another STATEMENT, is way too much.

My latest acquisition, though, has but a 2 to 2 1/8" brim, and reminds me of the fedora Cagney wears as Cody Jarrett in the immortal "White Heat." I'll wear it tomorrow and post some pics.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Here we go (and I'll post this in New Hats too, just in case): An Emerson fedora with a price tag of $8.75. Brim, the seller said, was 2", but it seems a bit wider than that.

Emerson_04.jpg Emerson_03.jpg

Emerson_05.jpg Emerson_02.jpg

Emerson_06.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Lovely hat, Benzadmiral. Great dimensions, and I really like the mid ribbon. :eusa_clap
That was what I found attractive about it as well, along with the shorter brim. To me a mid-sized ribbon, or a thin ribbon, projects a little more casual, devil-may-care air about a hat; a wide ribbon just seems more formal, somehow.

Last edited:

Bonked

New in Town
I picked up a nice Pennsylvania made black open crown for a couple bucks but it definitely looked Amish preacher. I put a pork pie telescope bash and trained the snap brim and now I don't mind wearing it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a black Resistol Stagecoach that I reworked. I used a paint can and bubble wrap to reblock this crown with. The crown came out nice and straight sided, the way I wanted. I added a Kakhi colored mid-ribbon with a simple bow to give it a little character. This would be one of my favorites if it were any other color besides black....

Stagecoach_black.jpg

Black_Hat_03.jpg

Black_Hat_02.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I love black hats. Here's some of mine:

Old 19teens Stetson (I no longer have this one, but it's a great hat)

D32_9409-L.jpg

One of Art's VS beauties

D33_4039-L.jpg

I love my black Tumwater

D33_2432-L.jpg

Black VS milan Dualist

D33_1746-L.jpg

Biltmore OR/Strat style

smugshot_2075026-L.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right now I'm torn between a black and a mink Premiere Strat. In your educated opinions, which one do you think would get more use? I wear sports jackets and ties nearly every day that would go with either one , and shoes and boots as well. Which one would you guys go for?

frussell

One Too Many
Tropicalbob - get in touch with DelMonico's. I recently canceled an order on a 7 7/8 black Strat. They may still have it in the store, which would save you the 8 week wait. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy