Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Love For Black Hats

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just a fast (and a little oversaturated) Photoshop test - blue, brown, wine, gray:

colors_test_zps805e25d7.jpg

Hey, I like it! I like to wear my fedoras with casual attire. I actually thought of changing out the black ribbon for either a Brown one or a Gray one. They seem to be more casual looking. Now I can get an idea of what they would look like. Thanks my friend.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I agree, the black felt, burgundy ribbon combo (like Jared's Penman or Ordinary Guy's VS) is a great look.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bad Co, Orangegrad, DJH, thanks guys....I actually like the Wine / Burgundy color. It does "pop" and I think it would be my choice for dressier attire, but how do you think it would go with casual attire? I'll probably hang on to the hat and have the ribbon changed out. I'll probably have the brim cut down as well to 2 3/4 and then have it reshaped with more of a pronounced fedora curl. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hard to decide.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
If I were to choose, I would go for a wine/burgundy ribbon. It works fine with blue colors, but also with the browns, that I think I've seen you wear often (and it goes great with your belt in the pic).

The color of "blue ribbon" above is a bit off compared to your jeans and shirt, but I didn't change it, because it actually demonstrates a common problem quite well: Matching colors. A blue ribbon will only match quite few blues - while a contrasting or complementary color is easier to fit in with different blues. That goes for other colors as well.

A burgundy ribbon and a little more roll in the brim will supply you with a completely different hat. I have the feeling that you really hate that hat, so you've got everything to win :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Must be different eyes, I think that the gray matches him better and I like the burgundy a lot better personally. I used to own a Maroon car, and I still have a lot of Maroon shirts. Maybe it's due to the proximity of the blue / gray shirt??

Later

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys...Wow. This is going to be tough. I'm going to send it out soon to get this done. I do like the Burgundy. That should go pretty well with casual attire shouldn't it?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I do like the Burgundy. That should go pretty well with casual attire shouldn't it?

Absolutely! As Hatophile states: "Burgundy/wine for sure. I think it could go with casual or dressy."

Mike: I get your point, and a neutral gray will go with almost anything. The burgundy/maroon is just that little bit "louder" - and yet not overstated. Makes the hat pop in an elegant way. But then again ... that's my eyes, and I've never owned a maroon car (but you make me green of envy) :)

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Burgundy or brown for me, but I also like the grey :) I think the blue is most limiting. All three will work fine dressed up or down IMO.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I'm inclined to think the black hat, unchanged, looks top-notch on you, esp. with that black jacket. Very tough-looking and film-noirish. But yes, if you change the ribbon, the wine seems good.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Here's my 2 cents re your comment about What I hate about black hats:
1). Black hats show no detail...Can't see the detailing of the bash or the ribbon if it's also black. [I get around this by having a slightly contrasting hatband (grey) or for dressier black hat a higher contrast hatband (like white).]
2). Shows dirt very easily. [True, that! And they're hot (as in scalp temperature) when worn in sunshine.]
3). Limited to dressy attire. [Perhaps, but a lot of baseball caps are often darker colored and can look casual, so would you agree that perhaps the hat style and adornments (hatband etc) could make it dressed down?]
4). No character. [To me, I've often associated black hats with 'bad guys.' So that can imply character, right? Crocodile Dundee wore a black hat and it didn't seem to lack character (due to his hatband) or seem dressy.]

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I'm doing this. My choices were between the Brown ribbon and the Burgundy with a lean toward the Burgundy ribbon...But the Olive that gtdean mentioned has caught my interest as well. That one might look pretty good too.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure, you won't regret it TJ. Who knows ... in a year you may have five black hats with different colored ribbon :D

Don't forget to come back and tell us about the result, please

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Well.. I've finally taken the plunge and bought my first black hat! An Akubra Bronco.. Felt I had to mix up my cowboy hats ..

So far, it feels more conspicuous on the head than my sand coloured lids...

I'll report back with how the adventure unfolds...

bloomy

New in Town
Man I love the look of that hat. Well done.

I've always liked the James Garner Maverick hat and did a simple image search and had to take a look at this one. Very well done. :eusa_clap

I'm attending a western themed wedding in January and am contemplating buying one.

Any advice for where to purchase a similar looking hat? My budget probably tops out at $200. The wife would be happier w/ $50. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana