Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Love For Black Hats

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Love for black western hats here...

I guess with western hats, it's easier to give a black hat some extra punch, since you have a little more leeway with decorative hatbands. This is one of my favorite hats (one of my 3 black Akubras, with a 4th on the way from Everything Australian).

100_2706.JPG 100_2710.JPG

It started life as an open crown Akubra Silver Spur. The final result is inspired by James Garner's hat from the 1981 "Bret Maverick" TV series. His used some kind of metallic band -- the closest I could get was using silver spray paint made for shoes, applied to a nice tooled leather band, then polishing and waxing the silver to give it a little extra sheen. 4.25" teardrop-pinchfront crown with a 3.25" brim seemed to hit the right dimensional balance.

I agree black hats don't show up well in photos. But I like the way they look in real life, and I've had a few compliments on this one.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Westerns are the exception

I guess with western hats, it's easier to give a black hat some extra punch, since you have a little more leeway with decorative hatbands. This is one of my favorite hats (one of my 3 black Akubras, with a 4th on the way from Everything Australian).

View attachment 4370 View attachment 4371

It started life as an open crown Akubra Silver Spur. The final result is inspired by James Garner's hat from the 1981 "Bret Maverick" TV series. His used some kind of metallic band -- the closest I could get was using silver spray paint made for shoes, applied to a nice tooled leather band, then polishing and waxing the silver to give it a little extra sheen. 4.25" teardrop-pinchfront crown with a 3.25" brim seemed to hit the right dimensional balance.

I agree black hats don't show up well in photos. But I like the way they look in real life, and I've had a few compliments on this one.

Westerns are the exception for Black hats. But for me I don't like Black for a fedora or a cap. Black hides a lot of the character except for Western hats. I'm still trying to find a home for my Black Akubra Squatter.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
After going outside this morning, I realized - it's cold. So I decided to wear some jeans. The first ones I pulled out of the closet were black. So then I thought - maybe a black shirt. And then, my black Alessandria. And then some Navajo jewelry - an onyx ring.

I know some guys don't like black. But I guess I'll see how many stares I get at the library in an hour or so when I go to pick up some books.

IMG_0227.JPG

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
After going outside this morning, I realized - it's cold. So I decided to wear some jeans. The first ones I pulled out of the closet were black. So then I thought - maybe a black shirt. And then, my black Alessandria. And then some Navajo jewelry - an onyx ring.

I know some guys don't like black. But I guess I'll see how many stares I get at the library in an hour or so when I go to pick up some books.

View attachment 4508

If you like wearing Black, you're in good company. This music legend also wore Black...

Gone too soon :(
cash 02.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 4508

How many stares did you get? That all black look is great!

DesertDan

One Too Many
I wore a black fedora for years but it was a woolie and since going to fur I haven't had a black hat and I've been missing having one. I am saving for a custom made hat and it will most likely be black. I'll put a bit of flash in the ribbon. :D

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Maybe they've seen it all there.

Next time pull your glasses down on the tip of your nose - stare her in the eyes - and whisper in a growling baritone: "I keep my eyes wide open all the time ...". You may have some explaining to do when the security guy arrives - but she sure will notice you! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24