Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Love For Black Hats

I have about 3 black thin ribbons, a black Playboy and a black off-brand vintage hat. I actually don't wear them that much especially in warmer weather, but my wife likes me in black, so I guess I'll keep them. Oh, and last year bought a black Fed IV.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Andy, you have made my day. I love that hat. I'm going to start saving now...

Blackthorn - it's worth saving your shekels for. Just a note of caution: Borsalono fur is considerably softer than Akubra fur. It won't take the beating of an Akubra. Then again, neither will a tank.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
How can you NOT like a Black Hat ?????

One of my Fav's:

sgu82w.jpg

I would really love my Akubra Squatter if it were any other color than black. I won this Squatter in an online bid. The hat looked gray from the pictures.

What I hate about black hats:
1). Black hats show no detail...Can't see the detailing of the bash or the ribbon if it's also black.
2). Shows dirt very easily.
3). Limited to dressy attire.
4). No character.
5). At a not too far distance mine looks like a Billy Jack hat...

A funny collection of gripes! :) Okay, I know I should be posting support for the OP, but I feel the urge to come to the aid of a color that is hated because it is difficult to photograph with an iPhone. As Spencer discussed previously it is difficult to take proper exposures of a black hat with a point and shoot camera or cell phone (though Steve manages wonderful photos of his black velours, which are among the most challenging). They just can't capture the depth of tones necessary to do it justice. But our eye/brain is much more capable of appreciating broad dynamic range. Rest assured that black hats look just as rich out in the world as any other tone.

You will come to like black hats more as you grow older. They look great with gray hair. And if you live in NYC, they go with everything, as everyone wears black all the time. I think I have fifty or so. One of my favorites is this Stetson Clear Nutria.

clearnutria19.jpg

Just my .02!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There was a lounger from Alaska, I think, that I remember from, some time ago. How sad am I? Wildblue was his handle. Wore a black fedora with a white hatband. Hang on while I check the search. Ah, this is the fellow.
Heheeeee... no, "Peter Sellersish" was not what I was going for. Bugsy Malone? Maybe. :)

I'll repost my favorite pic here, pretty much my avatar in large size.

IMG_1285.jpg
That appearance struck such a chord with me that I asked my hat maker to come up with something similar.
But contrasting hatbands does give the it the look of Peter Sellers. Fabhatrix made me a black fedora with an interchangable band.
At a recent charity, Red, White & Black Ball, I was the only man to not wear the "De Rigeur" black tux, white shirt and black bow tie.
Not that I have anything against such apparel. but this was meant to be tongue in cheek, so be a tad outrageous. My wife made her dress, faux fur stole, my shirt and although she didn't make the necktie, she sewed all the sequins onto it. It's not often that I wear the white hatband, but I do wear the black fedora with the black headband quite regularly. It's as others have said: It's the hat and "the look."

Sorry about the newspaper's embedding.

Last edited:

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I'm very comfortable wearing a black hat with casual clothes. Looks great without a suit, sport coat, tie, etc. There have been lots of discussions on black hats recently. I think you have a lot of great points if that's how you feel about black hats. As for me, I love my black on black Dobbs TWENTY!! :thumb:

1292368F.jpg

1E836011.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
And I like your Squatter! I think it looks great on you; you might want to give it a shot. [huh]
Thanks A'n'A...After looking at some of these pics I'll probably hang on to it and do as I originally planned. I think I'm going to send it off and have it sized down to a 7 1/8 LO and have a wider and contrasting color ribbon put on it...the collection of black hats here look pretty darned good.

You guys are all sporting some real nice hats. Nice job gentleman! :eusa_clap

howardeye

Practically Family
To me there is only one great color of hat and that is Black! Also goes for leather including shoes, belts, coats, jackets etc.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
I followed a few blog threads that are anti black hats .. Urban myth in OZ was that work shy jackaroos wore black hats ... They are a bit too fancy dress for me .. I'm from the stay in town if you're wearing brown school ..

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I love the way some of you guys have displayed your hats! (well done Orangegrad. Love the way that's displayed). So here's my attempt at displaying my Squatter....

44t1.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I love the way some of you guys have displayed your hats! (well done Orangegrad. Love the way that's displayed). So here's my attempt at displaying my Squatter....

44t1.jpg

The Squatter in black may be next on my to-get list. But I have an Akubra in the mail right now from Katoomba, so it will be a while before another.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The Squatter in black may be next on my to-get list. But I have an Akubra in the mail right now from Katoomba, so it will be a while before another.
I don't know where you're buying your Akubra's but I think the Squatter is being discontinued in the U.S. ...I checked out other online stores and I can't find the Squatter in black... anyway, I found a site called Wrangler Outpost that sells Akubras at a pretty decent price...David Morgan also has his Squatters on sale, but only one color though. I think my next Akubra might be the Sydney....

http://www.kakadutrader.com/akubra_hatindex.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana