Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Love For Black Hats

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know where you're buying your Akubra's but I think the Squatter is being discontinued in the U.S. ...I checked out other online stores and I can't find the Squatter in black... anyway, I found a site called Wrangler Outpost that sells Akubras at a pretty decent price...David Morgan also has his Squatters on sale, but only one color though. I think my next Akubra might be the Sydney....

http://www.kakadutrader.com/akubra_hatindex.html

This site (never used them) does the Squatter in black as a special order: http://www.australiangear.com/mens/akubra-squatter-steel-grey.html

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The Squatter in black may be next on my to-get list. But I have an Akubra in the mail right now from Katoomba, so it will be a while before another.
What size do you wear Orangegrad? A black Squatter may be a little difficult to find now. I checked out other online stores and haven't found any in black...(and the Squatter is being discontinued in the U.S.). I wore my Squatter around a little bit this past weekend to see if I could possibly grow to like it a little better. But, I just can't seem to warm up to the color. I'd be willing to trade it off if you or anyone may be interested. It's a real nice hat and I would definitely trade it for another Squatter in a different color....Not meaning to offend those who love black hats. To each his own I guess. :D

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
What size do you wear Orangegrad? A black Squatter may be a little difficult to find now. I checked out other online stores and haven't found any in black...(and the Squatter is being discontinued in the U.S.). I wore my Squatter around a little bit this past weekend to see if I could possibly grow to like it a little better. But, I just can't seem to warm up to the color. I'd be willing to trade it off if you or anyone may be interested. It's a real nice hat and I would definitely trade it for another Squatter in a different color....Not meaning to offend those who love black hats. To each his own I guess. :D

TJ - I wear a 56 in an Akubra. When they arrive they're a bit large on me but settle in after some wearing.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

True, it doesn't matter how well WE like it, it's your hat and it YOU don't like it, you won't wear it. No sense having a hat you don't want to wear.

Later

viclip

Practically Family
Stetson "Dexter" in Imperial Grade size 7-5/8.
I've posted the front shot to indicate the extent of the taper.
Today's the 1st time I've worn this hat, I was struck by its weight ~ 175 grams or 6.2 ounces
The crown is 5-1/2" open, 5-1/4" dented/bashed as shown; 2-3/4" brim.

Stetson Dexter.jpg

Black is a formal looking colour in hats & I think it goes well with my gray suit & pale blue shirt.
Indeed, I would argue that black goes with anything.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Good morning Gents! Yesterday I attempted to put something of an Indy crease in my Black Squatter thinking that would add some character to the hat. Afterward I went to my mother's house to do a few things for her. Of course I wore my Squatter. When I walked in wearing it she asked me why I wore "that ugly hat"...no biggie. My mother thinks all my fedoras are ugly. But then her friend who was also there visiting asked me if I was wearing an Amish hat! Yup! This hat has got to go! Egads! No love for Black Hats!

Indy Fedora Squatter 02 B.jpg

Indy Fedora Squatter 01C.jpg

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
T Jones, how are you and your black Squatter getting along these days? Here is another attempt to help you see the (black) light, my friend!

I took out my first real fedora, an '80s Borsalino that has been with me through thick and thin, and gave it a bit of an update today. I bought it in 1986 but haven't worn it in fifteen years or so. The original crown blocking was a tapered center dent with a 3 inch brim. I straight-blocked the crown, creased it and trimmed the brim to 2 1/2 inches. I'm liking the new look and this hat will get some head time this winter. The nice thing about black is it does indeed go with just about anything. And when it takes on some rain it it doesn't look much different than it does when it's dry. I will have to do more sanding on the newly trimmed brim, but here is a look.

IMG_3097_zpsa85140da.jpg

IMG_3101_zpsb33681fd.jpg

IMG_3103_zpsf63441ca.jpg

IMG_3105_zpsb4493959.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Black Hats

T Jones, how are you and your black Squatter getting along these days? Here is another attempt to help you see the (black) light, my friend!

I took out my first real fedora, an '80s Borsalino that has been with me through thick and thin, and gave it a bit of an update today. I bought it in 1986 but haven't worn it in fifteen years or so. The original crown blocking was a tapered center dent with a 3 inch brim. I straight-blocked the crown, creased it and trimmed the brim to 2 1/2 inches. I'm liking the new look and this hat will get some head time this winter. The nice thing about black is it does indeed go with just about anything. And when it takes on some rain it it doesn't look much different than it does when it's dry. I will have to do more sanding on the newly trimmed brim, but here is a look.

IMG_3097_zpsa85140da.jpg

IMG_3101_zpsb33681fd.jpg

IMG_3103_zpsf63441ca.jpg

IMG_3105_zpsb4493959.jpg

Wow! Really nice job on the Borso my friend! It really looks great! I hate to say it but I'm still trying to find a home for my Black Squatter. I love Squatters and would trade my Black one for a Gray or Brown Squatter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points