Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Mail on Saturdays

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've had 3 pieces of mail go missing altogether in the past 3 years or so, I had never had mail fail to arrive at its destination prior to that. I don't send much mailed correspondence, and to have 3 pieces go missing is troubling.

I have very few bills that get mailed...the electric bill and car insurance are about it, so I look for 2 pieces of actual mail per month, the rest is junk. If I get one more piece of mail from Charter Communications trying to get me to sign up for their crappy satellite TV service I'm gonna scream. I get stuff from them in my name, and the names of 2, count 'em, 2 previous occupants of this house, and I've lived here for 7 years. I wonder why the mail carrier even delivers the items for people who don't live here.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
tuppence said:
If your mail system is so bad....How come I receive parcels from America quicker than I receive them from Western Australia?

Via Camelback Express across the Nullarbor Plain perhaps ? :eek: Here in the U.S. we often wonder if slow mail isn't coming via the Pony Express :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
tuppence said:
If your mail system is so bad....How come I receive parcels from America quicker than I receive them from Western Australia?

Our mail service isnt so bad.
We have some of the cheapest most reliable mail service in the world. People bring mail to your house, every business day. Free pick up, online postage, etc. I think we have it pretty good.

I absolutely loathe waiting in line at the post office, but I cut it back by planning a bit ahead (filling out forms, packing my own stuff, buying stamps as often as I can when Im in line, etc). You cant have everything.

I think USPS is loosing money because its trying to be Kinkos with all its extra services. It should focus on shipping and mailing and maybe having more reps to go to businesses and score accounts for them. But I dont know their business plan.

I also think they should just go on and put the stamp at 50¢ and get it over with.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
davestlouis said:
I've had 3 pieces of mail go missing altogether in the past 3 years or so, I had never had mail fail to arrive at its destination prior to that.

3 pieces of mail missing in 3 years?!
How much do you mail a year? 60-70 items (letters only?). Maybe more? No one wants to be that person where the mail gets missing, but all in all thats a really amazing track record to only have 1 letter go missing a year.

Did you get tracking/insurance on it? Was it something that was easily canceled? Inconveniencing sure, but not the end of the world.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I mailed a letter in 1978 that never got where it was supposed to go. That's the only time that's ever happened to me. All things considered I've had better luck with the postal service than I've had with just about any other organization I can name. I know the people who work in our local PO, and they're all hard-working and conscientious -- a lot more so than that slack-butt UPS guy who tossed my last package on the driveway because he was afraid he'd get prickled by my rose bush.

The one thing I'd change if I could about the postal system is that I'd bring back stamp vending machines -- you used to see them everywhere, but hardly ever now. And I'd also get rid of those stupid self-stick stamps -- it's impossible to steam them off an envelope if you stick one down by mistake.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Good grief LadyDay, if I send 50 pieces of personal mail in a year I'm doing great, so statistically it's not so great. The bigger issue is that 2 of the 3 were bills, and I got dinged for late charges on them...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So about 1 piece of mail a week? 50-ish letters sent a year. One goes missing/not delivered. Roughly 2% failure, annually?

What else do you use in life that has that record? The USPS is FAR, FAAAAR from perfect, but I do think that is a really good track record. The inconveniencing factor is not what Im talking about, but to not 'trust' the mail based on 2%, thats reaching for the moon.

LD

59Lark

Practically Family
post office still the best game in town.

The consus seems to be, most people want to be able to go sat and yell ans scream, calling the postmaster from my office seems to do more. If you cant get satifaction go higher. but also getting everything ready taking blank forms home to due them there etc. The other suggestion was leave the office open sat mornings and just not deliver mail on sat. I still as north americans we have a good postal service, now if you find a post office that you dont get along try using the next one. i once had a bad experience with a post office in MOUNT forest ontario and was told the postmistress there was the queen of her kingdom and she did things her way or the highway.
so there is going to be pockets of misery. 59LARK:eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy