Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No snap brim, please

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
As the days get warmer I find myself still wearing my Akubra Riverina. Though it is getting well into the hundreds these days, none of my other hats a) provide enough sun protection on my neck due to the snap brim, or b) don't distort in the nearly constant wind here, blowing the brim into my face, etc. So I'm on the search for a lighter weight felt with a turned down brim, but very casual for work. The hat I'd really like is the one worn by Captain Hastings in Murder in Mesopotamia. I like the tapered crown, wide, turned down brim, and simple hatband. Anyone know of such an animal, new or vintage models?

david_suchet_is_hercule_poirot.jpg

Is it possible to flatten out a snap brim during a reblock?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
As I understand it, the brim could be changed during a reblock (called reflanging), but it can also be done by hand in steps. I don't know if you'd want to try that. Otherwise, turned down brims shouldn't be that hard to find on a modern hat. Stetson and Miller carry numerous such hats.
Looking at that picture you posted, I think most of the taper of the crown comes from the deep side dents, so if you can find something a little too straight for your liking you could just make the dents deeper.

Stoney

Practically Family
Jack,

All you have to do is steam iron the brim into the desired flat shape. Be sure to use a pressing cloth as direct contact with the iron will mar the finish. I'm sure you can find something light with a wide brim that will suit your needs. I would avoid one with a bound edge or cav as some of these are harder to iron flat. Raw and welted edges are the easiest.

Stoney has it right, Jack. Heat from the iron also tends to "activate" (there's a better word, I'm sure) the stiffener in the felt, so if you're looking for something a bit less floppy, it should help in that regard as well. If you want even more stiffness, felt-hat stiffener may well be available at a local Western wear shop. I've used the stuff. It works.

It would be nice to have the right flange, of course, but ...

MAB1

Suspended
Yea, you have to use something linen, like a tea towel, in between the hat and the iron. A cheap spray starch should give you your desired effect.

mineral

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
Heat from the iron also tends to "activate" (there's a better word, I'm sure) the stiffener in the felt

The exact scientific term for the phenomenon is "glass transition". To put "glass transition" and "hats" in the same sentence just seem too clumsy and unfashionable (although, I suppose, one could do it if one insists on sounding nerdy), so no, there isn't a better word. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks for the feedback, fellas! The weight of a dress body is really what I'd like, so that does offer some possibilities, as I had hoped it would.

Stoney said:
Jack,

All you have to do is steam iron the brim into the desired flat shape. Be sure to use a pressing cloth as direct contact with the iron will mar the finish. I'm sure you can find something light with a wide brim that will suit your needs. I would avoid one with a bound edge or cav as some of these are harder to iron flat. Raw and welted edges are the easiest.
That makes sense. The grosgrain wouldn't stretch with the felt, and would probably prevent the brim from ever lying flat. I was thinking about converting my Open Road clone, thought it's such a nice hat I hate to do that. It has a bound brim, though, and I don't want to lose the brim width it would take to cut off the bound edge...unless I removed the edge binding, ironed the brim flat, then hand-stitched the edge to hide the holes from the binding.
Scratch-Chin.gif
Hmm, might work. Just thinking out loud, really...

Edward

Bartender
If you're open to buying something new, I believe the Akubra CEO has a non-snap brim. It'd be hard to beat the Riverina, though - I took mine as an only-hat to China a couple of weeks ago - a fortnight of touring the eastern side of the country (Beijing, Xi'an, Guilin, Hong Kong, and back to Beijing again) - worked great in the dry heat of the north, the humidity of the south, and the worst rain HK has seen for 124 years. The temperature made me sweat the dye out of the leather hatband into the lining, giving it a reddish stain, but otherwise no problem (and the liner can't be seen on anyhow - I suspect all of mine will end up sweatstained eventually). Great hat, perfect for the heat when a Panama isn't appropriate. Must get photos up....

Anyhow... good luck with finding or modifying the right hat!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
The CEO is a great hat, but I think the felt is just about as thick as my Riverina. It'd be a good option, though. Honestly, felt is just going to be warmer, so I am probably not going to notice a substantial difference no matter what. Still, much like wearing just a lighter colored hat, I feel cooler! lol Trick of the mind to a large extent, I suppose.

The weight is something of an issue, too. I notice that when I am sweating a lot, as under my Riverina of late, it tends to slip down further on my head as the felt loosens a bit and the sweat lubricates the sweatband. My Riverina does that far less than other hats I've owned, and is still the best hat I have, but it does get a tad annoying when I have to lever my hat off my head! I think my head must have straight sides, so there is nothing to keep a hat from falling down around my ears!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner