Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

non orangey self tanners

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Women of Palor, Unite!

I'm pale too. I also look younger than I am, and attribute that partly to not roasting myself in tanning beds or the sun. However, a few months ago, I saw myself on videotape and my legs looked like fluorescent lights. So if I am going to be photographed, I'll wear hose or try a light tanner.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ok, not an attempt at humor. I think pale skin is great also, but for me, I think I look better with a little bit of a tan 'glow'. Plus, even with sunscreen, my arms and chest do get a little tan, then you have super white legs..to me, especially since there's a family reunion in a few days, I like to look more 'evened' out.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Raegan said:
I use Shades of Darkness by Fiji. It's actually a tanning lotion on one side of the bottle and a self-tanner on the other side. You turn the dial at the top to select how dark you want your "tan" to be. If you turn it to 0% it's straight tanning lotion and if you turn it to 100% it's straight self-tanner. It really seems to work well, and it looks very natural. It smells really good too, like a cappucino.
That sounds cool. Where can you buy it and is it very expensive?

One thing that turns me off about self tanners is the distinct odor they put out. Do you have noses that can pick up the scent I'm talking about? It's been about 5 years since I've used a self tanner so maybe nowadays they are better and don't have the odor.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Time for a "man tan" point of view.

I have olive skin, and used to tan very easily. The older I get, though, the harder it is for me to get tan -- and the easier it is to burn. Problem is, without a tan I tend to lean toward sallow olive ... and I'm not even a "half bred Hispanic"! Also, I have lighter blue eyes and brown hair, which tend to be complemented by golden skin. So I may end up using one of those self-tanners or spray booths for the first time. Will follow this thread closely and then decide.

magneto

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
ok, not an attempt at humor. I think pale skin is great also, but for me, I think I look better with a little bit of a tan 'glow'. Plus, even with sunscreen, my arms and chest do get a little tan, then you have super white legs..to me, especially since there's a family reunion in a few days, I like to look more 'evened' out.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. For some reason my hands/forearms/face darkens in the summer from being out'n'about, but the leg portions stubbornly refuse. Plus these gams aren't going out anytime in a pair of 15 dernier stockings without something to even out those vestiges of skateboarding scars ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Time for a "man tan" point of view.

I have olive skin, and used to tan very easily. The older I get, though, the harder it is for me to get tan -- and the easier it is to burn. Problem is, without a tan I tend to lean toward sallow olive ... and I'm not even a "half bred Hispanic"! Also, I have lighter blue eyes and brown hair, which tend to be complemented by golden skin. So I may end up using one of those self-tanners or spray booths for the first time. Will follow this thread closely and then decide.

With your features, a tan would make your eyes stand out more. My husband will put on the Jergens lotion. He likes it because #1. it is not an instant tan lotion so it is VERY gradual, takes about a week to get two shades darker, if applied daily. and #2. the smell, it has a light fragrance, but does not smell 'girlie'

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I have the Jergen's stuff, and the fragrance is okay when I first put it on, but after a while it leaves behind the usual fake tan stink. Is there a solution that doesn't smell bad? Like Marc, I'm kinda yellow looking without a tan, so "embracing jaundice" is not likely to be my mantra. (I'm not really jaundiced, by the way. I'm just an ethnic mutt with a "golden" skintone.)

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
hello ladies...

Thanks to mysterygal i now am using the Jergens to get a little color.

I am one W-H-I-T-E boy...I get burned when I google "sunshine"....The members of the FL started me in the right direction with Pananma Hats for the summer time with my job.

Some people looks great without a tan...some should have a little color or they may look like Michael Jackson :eek:

I like the comment about the Creator....He made you the color you are....he also made you naked...and that was changed.

Ghost white pale is not very good on me, so I will continue
"the glow" just to tone down my Casper look.

(tips his hat to the ladies)

g'day ladies...

mark the shoehsine boy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Another Tan Man Viewpoint

I tan easily, but keep mostly covered. So my legs and torso - yeesh.

Embrace the pale, ladies. I can only speak for myself, but pale skin adds an element of classic sensuousness that can't be obtained any other way. Be pale, be proud!*

Plus, who wants to look like an old saddle?

*Sentence rewritten 67 times to tone it down. Pale skin. Whoo!

decodoll

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Rather then continually trying to embrace the dark side...either naturally or artificially, I have just decided that the powers that be, intended me to be pale and burn.

I thus avoid sun, use sunscreen, and don't worry about not having a bronze tone to my skin even in summer. If other people think it looks less then attractive, fine. I might not like things about them that they can't change.

Embrace the pale, I say.

Hooray! I've never had rude comments about dressing vintage, but I've had plenty about how pale I am. Why people seem to think it's acceptable to comment on the lightness of one's skin any more than the darkness is beyond me! No way am I going to try to change myself for them! I like my paleness... come summer, I just pile on more sunblock!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
magneto said:
Yep, my thoughts exactly. For some reason my hands/forearms/face darkens in the summer from being out'n'about, but the leg portions stubbornly refuse. Plus these gams aren't going out anytime in a pair of 15 dernier stockings without something to even out those vestiges of skateboarding scars ;)

Legs take longer to tan because their skin is thicker.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Hooray! I've never had rude comments about dressing vintage, but I've had plenty about how pale I am. Why people seem to think it's acceptable to comment on the lightness of one's skin any more than the darkness is beyond me! No way am I going to try to change myself for them! I like my paleness... come summer, I just pile on more sunblock!

I hear this all the time. People have a hard time understanding that you can live in a desert, and not want to fry your skin. I'm forever being asked "Where are you from?"--and whenever I hear that question, I know it relates to my pale skin :rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I hadn't thought about the explanation for why legs take longer to tan -- but it makes sense. My *feet* tan dark, fast -- but above my ankles my legs stay fish-belly-white all summer long, no matter how much sun they get. I still have last summer's tan marks on my feet, but you'd never guess my legs ever got sun in their lives.

My driving arm, on the other hand, tans really well. One brown arm, one pale white arm, that's me.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
decodoll...you are a fine example of one who looks absolutley wonderful without the tan.....IMHO...

I have a friend who use to models swimsuits, but no longer tans...stays pretty fair herself..and she looks beautiful, too.

mark the shoeshine boy

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I hear this all the time. People have a hard time understanding that you can live in a desert, and not want to fry your skin. I'm forever being asked "Where are you from?"--and whenever I hear that question, I know it relates to my pale skin :rolleyes:

hmmm....I get that a lot too. People think I'm from another country. I never connected it with being pale.

shoeshineboy said:
decodoll...you are a fine example of one who looks absolutley wonderful without the tan.....IMHO...

Thank you, shoeshineboy! :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
staying out of the sun is a must! What I also see a lot of is women who go to the tanning salons, a little bit too much and after awhile their skin almost looks fake.
Winter time, I fully embrace my paleness. summer, since I'm out in bathing suits so much...I like a little tan that's not going to harm my skin!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
staying out of the sun is a must! What I also see a lot of is women who go to the tanning salons, a little bit too much and after awhile their skin almost looks fake.
Winter time, I fully embrace my paleness. summer, since I'm out in bathing suits so much...I like a little tan that's not going to harm my skin!

or so the FDA tells you.....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My father was a welder and he had a year-round tan on his neck, face and forearms from the arc. Of course, his legs and torso were really white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24