Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noobie w/a stratoliner

sendin

New in Town
My mule buddy Nick alerted me to the fact that I probably have a keeper.

I ended up with a Stetson Stratoliner from my grandpa's stuff back in the 80's and never messed with it because it appears new and has never been blocked. I fussed with it a bit and could never figure out what shape it should be or how to shape it. I really never liked the shade of grey either, but now I think it is time for it to get some use.

My head is the same size as Grandpa Oscar's so looks like I am good to go.

Thankfully there are some pics here so shaping may not be the struggle I thought it might be.

But before I get too far I wanted to check here for some sage advice.

Should I try to find a pro? Should I get the steam going and do it myself? Can the color be changed?

The hat appears to be from the late 40's or early 50's and was purchased in San Antonio TX and I am guessing at this from what I can see on the inside band and that I know the periods of time that he would've been there visiting my grandma's family.

Got another worn one from him that I wear alot and will report back with details on that one if there is interest.

Thank you thank you Fedora Lounge - a place where I can become hat-wise.

Denny from Sebastopol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
First welcome to the lounge!:D 2nd try dry shaping it before doing anything permanent. You may find it easy to get what you want and you can set it in after.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome and post plenty of photos!!!!

First try to crease it with out water or steam, you may be surprised at what you can do. I am sure you have an idea of what shape you want, just go ahead and try it.
The hat will not be hurt as long as you dont put too sharp a crease in the felt.
Hope you post a few shots soon!!!
Man I love these thin ribbons!!!:D

sendin

New in Town
Yeah I do have an idea and I also have a steamer thing that my wife bought.

OK - no sharp creases.

Can color be changed? Or should I just buck up and learn to love this odd grey color?

Thanks - Denny

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
a stratoliner should be able to be creased easily by hand, without any steam or water.

The color's the color. Try it with different things, sometimes it just takes some getting used to. In what way is it odd?

sendin

New in Town
To my eye it has bluish - greenish cast and it is very light. I guess I like the darker greys. I am fairly certain that it is a standard color. I think Oscar bought it thinking that he would wear it when the other one wore out, but then they went out of style. He switched to straw types and it never left the box. The box is not original. It is for a different brand.

I need to shape it and put it on and get me and it in some different light and clothing and then I will have better perspective.

I agree that color change on something that has value due to its originality is probably not such a good idea. Just curious in case I cannot live with the color.

I will get pics and then my argument will disappear! Ha! Denny

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's a pretty desirable color around these parts.
Something like This?
It's all about what you wear it with.

And please do post pictures whenever it's convenient. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
sendin said:
To my eye it has bluish - greenish cast and it is very light. I guess I like the darker greys. I am fairly certain that it is a standard color.
As their names imply, the Stetson Stratoliner and Open Road models were targeted at traveling and more casual wear. The cues for a casual hat include a much thinner *matching* ribbon (1/4" to 1/2") instead of 1" to 2" contrasting ribbon, and usually a lighter color--silverbelly (off-white), tan, fawn, or your grey-green. It's easy to picture a Stratoliner with a tweed sport coat or a short zip-up jacket as opposed to a charcoal grey dress fedora with a dark blue suit.

The color goes with the ribbon and the overall gestalt of the hat. I suspect your grey-green is a less common color. Akubra Hats of Australia, who was a Stetson licensee for the Open Road (similar to the Stratoliner) model used to offer their Campdraft model in "bluegrass green." Several people here on the Fedora Lounge are trying to convince Akubra to bring that color back.

This picture is a good example of a typical Stratoliner bash:

campdraft-taupefawn-large.jpg

You could do fine by just creasing the top and then putting the pinch dents in the front.

tortswon

Practically Family
Different view

Welcome to the Lounge! with your luck, we should head over to the track together.

You have the great fortune of stumbling upon one of the grail hats for collectors. If there were not a sentimental connection to it, I would recommend you sell it and you would likely make enough to get virtually any hat you wanted. Given the sentimental connection, you should do whatever you can to preserve it while at the same time adjusting it to your taste. For that reason, I would suggest you send this hat off to a professional to make sure it is sound in all respects, get it cleaned, and get it adjusted to suit you. This is not a hat on which to learn. It is too valuable both in terms of monetary value and sentimental value. I would learn on a different hat, one that is cheaper and not your grandfather's. Whichever way you decide, enjoy the hat and post some pictures! Best, Sam

CRH

Call Me a Cab
sendin said:
My mule buddy Nick alerted me to the fact that I probably have a keeper.

I ended up with a Stetson Stratoliner from my grandpa's stuff back in the 80's ...

Nice hat but I want to here more about that talking mule!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
If the "steamer thing" is one of those steam cleaner (blaster) devices, I'd keep it away from the hat. They really push out a large amount of super hot steam at a forceful pressure. Not what is needed to soften felt.

I agree with the 'just-push-in-some-dents-by-hand' advice. Check the different hat threads here that show photos and emulate the look you like. If steam really becomes necessary, just bathe the hat in the steam which rises off a stovetop kettle, being careful not to steam the inside leather sweat band or liner, and then shape it by hand and let it cool to set.

sendin

New in Town
the bash is trash

Well my home computer is at the hospital otherwise I would have pics for you with this post.

When I get it back - I promise - pictures - even with my noggin in the hat.

I put my fingers on it last night and got a shape that seems to agree with me and the color is growing on me too.

Before, with my first iteration and without the final bash it was a pretty funny scene with the thing on my head. The look from my wife, when I asked her how it looked, was even funnier.

But I wish I would've read the 'holy grail' message yesterday. Oh well.

What I don't like with the finger method is that it is not a smooth shape. It has a series of 'wrinkles' on the inside edge that makes it look 'crushed.' It is probably not as bad as I describe, but when I look at the smooth tops on the pics on this site of similar hats, this one doesn't pass muster. I did use a little steam to see if I could creatively remove the wrinkles, but no luck. The steam was from one of those cheap floor/mop steamers and the felt got moist, but really didn't penetrate the felt to any extent. I didn't get carried away with the process and also was not aggressive. I kept everything clean and even gave my hands a good washing before I started.

The hat has literally been in the box since purchase as far as I can tell. No dust, no dirt, no wear.

So if the real solution, if one is even needed, is to get this out to a professional, I am game. I just need a reference. I did some snooping on this sight and even an internet search and came up with zilch. I don't have much time since I am doing this from work.

I really appreciate all the replies. Denny

sendin

New in Town
mule

My mule fetches, but he don't talk. At least not in English.

My mule buddy Nick is a fellow who also owns a mule and knows more about hats and clothing than I ever will.

I guess I friended up.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
sendin said:
\
What I don't like with the finger method is that it is not a smooth shape. It has a series of 'wrinkles' on the inside edge that makes it look 'crushed.' It is probably not as bad as I describe, but when I look at the smooth tops on the pics on this site of similar hats, this one doesn't pass muster. I did use a little steam to see if I could creatively remove the wrinkles, but no luck.

That's a sign of good quality, dense, thin felt.

tortswon

Practically Family
Professional Stratoliner restoration

Sendin, two or three weeks ago, I purchased a Stratoliner on eBay. It arrived in a plastic bag completely crushed in a box that was too small by 50% for the hat. It was a mess requiring cleaning, reshaping and new ribbons. I sent it off to Art Fawcett whose name you may have seen around here. I am awaiting its return.

Having dealt with Art before for both new hats and restorations, I can recommend him to do the job. There are many other fine hatters here who I am sure can do a fine job too. I have never been less than completely satisfied with Art's work. Best, Sam

MattJH

One Too Many
sendin said:
What I don't like with the finger method is that it is not a smooth shape. It has a series of 'wrinkles' on the inside edge that makes it look 'crushed.' It is probably not as bad as I describe, but when I look at the smooth tops on the pics on this site of similar hats, this one doesn't pass muster.

I actually go for that on purpose. If a hat's creasing is perfectly symmetrical and smooth, then it looks like it was creased by a machine just like nearly all other hats today are. If I wanted one of those, I would've bought one of those, you know? One of the great things about hand-creasing an open-crown hat is the imperfections that show it's 100% custom to your liking by your own handiwork. Like Dinerman said, it's a sign of quality. To each his own, of course, but I strongly prefer that look over the perfect-symmetry look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou