Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NOS Borsalino

squid

One of the Regulars
Last month havershaw was telling us about some Borsalinos in the Buy It Now section of ebay. You send the money to Washington state, and the hat shows up from Europe. There were three still listed, but too expensive and a size too small. A week later they showed up as auctions with $9.99 opening bids. Of course I bid on all three, but I only won one. And it took three weeks to arrive from Bulgaria.

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...30010795258&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

The seller's measurements were a little off (they stated a size 5 would be 21.5 inches). I measure the inside at 22 inches, the crown is about 4.5 to 5 inches, the ribbon 7/8 inch, brim almost 2.25 inches.

The felt is amazingly soft and thin. I can easily bash it just as Hemingway Jones demonstrated on his Borsalino. It imagine it could be rolled for packing with no problems. This is a beautiful hat that looks like it came directly from the factory.

The shop's stamp is:

Simeon Zlateff
Rue Alabinska 31
Sofia

To the left of the shop's name is the Bulgarian royal coat of arms from 1930-1946 and the words Fournisseur Royal (Royal Warrant) underneath.
Gerb3a.gif

All of the writing is in Roman letters with French words. (useless trivia bit: the cyrillic alphabet, which is commonly called the Russian alphabet, was actually developed by a Bulgarian monk.)

It is unlined which should be fine even in a hard NW Florida winter. The "sticker" in the top has the Borsalino name, "marca depositata" and Trionfo under a oil silk cover. There is a red-and-white size tag and a Eulen tag. Both tags are paper. It also has a reeded sweatband.

The tag under the sweatband has only a five digit seriel number. Every other Borsalino I've seen had ten digits.

It has a wind cord, but the button is missing. The ribbon is also a bit crumpled in a couple of places. I hope a little steam with help smooth the ribbon out. I will also need to stretch it one size to fit my head.

I'm going to take a wild stab and say this hat dates to the thirties or early forties.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very interesting

Thanks for posting the detailed photos!
Your leap of faith seems to have paid off.
Looking forward to seeing it on your head
once you knock it into shape. I'm sure that
ribbon will be fine with a bit of water and
hand smoothing.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I bought one of these Bulgarian hats last year . They all seem to be from a store that closed down many years ago .Someone must have discovered the stock and has been selling them off one by one on Ebay . They are mostly smaller sizes but the quality is amazing . Mine is a greenish velour with a 2 1/4" brim that also dates from the 1930's . All I had to do was steam out the hat as it came a little crushed .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah man!

That's a nice hat there! Very sweet and clean!

If I were you, I'd give it some steam and a nice hand bash! Will make it your own and will look real genuine.;) Maybe a diamond type of bash with modest front dents. That would look so authentic!:D

Just my two bits.

=WR=

ledsled

One of the Regulars
payment method?

I think I saw a black hat from this seller. Wasn't there some weird payment process? I think when I read the fine print of the hoops I'd have to jump through to pay for it, I decided not to bid. I'm glad it worked out for you, though!

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I bought three hats from that guy!

Two of them are like yours: unlined Trionfo models, with the sticker under the silk/paper thing. I think you're meant to remove the covering; not sure. They are lovely, and these are the hats which, I believe, back up the notion that the first two digits of the second number are the year of manufacture, even with Borsalinos this old. (Mine suggest 1930 and 1938.)

These wind trollies did *not have* buttons, as far as I can determine. You're meant to put the little loop around a button on your coat.

The felt is astonishingly good at holding a shape, despite how thin it is. I would guess that this is mercury felted rabbit. You should be able to steam the wrinkles out of the ribbon -- use a cold flat kitchen knife as a sort of iron, after you've held the ribbon over the steam.

squid

One of the Regulars
I poked a couple of dents into it. It didn't require any steam or water, and they will easily pop back out for an open crown. The first is just a center crease, and the second is an attempt at a C crown (I think).

There will be no pics of it on my head until after it is stretched.

ledsled said:
I think I saw a black hat from this seller. Wasn't there some weird payment process? I think when I read the fine print of the hoops I'd have to jump through to pay for it, I decided not to bid. I'm glad it worked out for you, though!

I used PayPal to pay someone in Federal Way, WA, and the hat was mailed from Bulgaria. It worked fine. I think that may have put people off so the bids stayed low.

Visigoth said:
Two of them are like yours: unlined Trionfo models, with the sticker under the silk/paper thing. I think you're meant to remove the covering; not sure. They are lovely, and these are the hats which, I believe, back up the notion that the first two digits of the second number are the year of manufacture, even with Borsalinos this old. (Mine suggest 1930 and 1938.)

I will leave the covering even though the glue isn't holding all the edges down anymore. I have even considered regluing so it doesn't come off. And there is only one five digit number on the tag (38).

Visigoth said:
These wind trollies did *not have* buttons, as far as I can determine. You're meant to put the little loop around a button on your coat.

Interesting. Has anyone else seen this?

Visigoth said:
The felt is astonishingly good at holding a shape, despite how thin it is. I would guess that this is mercury felted rabbit. You should be able to steam the wrinkles out of the ribbon -- use a cold flat kitchen knife as a sort of iron, after you've held the ribbon over the steam.

Kitchen knife. Check. And rabbit fur is fine with me. I am happy enough with this hat that it has quenched my thirst for hats for now. I do really need a nice grey one after reading that other tread though...

Wayfarer

New in Town
I bought the 2 smaller ones.

Long time beret/kangol wearer...first time fedora owner:)

I was kind of getting tired of the Hoque and Borsalino berets so i had decided to try some fedoras.

I found this great site and decided to make the plunge.

Over the past few weeks I have purchased a Cavanagh, Knox, Dunlap and Royal Stetson. The Cav is my favorite so far.

I wear a 6 7/8 to 7 and usually harder to find something decent in that size range.

I saw the 4 NOS Borsalino's and bid and won the 2 smaller ones, a black and a gray. I might have paid too much but what the hell.

I think I am through until I get a stretcher. A couple of the ones I had purchased were just a hair tight and need to work on.

But i have enough variation to get an idea what i like or dont. I figured i can sell If i need to.

I will post pics of the Borsalino's when they come in.

Wayfarer

New in Town
Thanks Feraud.....

I said I was done for awhile, but everytime I lay down to go to sleep I hear someone whispering "Open Road" into my ear.

Aldus

New in Town
Someone Whispering

Yes, perhaps once the whispering someone tired of me, you were next-- my first OR, likely 60s vintage, and a "25" with its original $25 price sticker intact on the inner side of the sweat band-- arrived the day before yesterday. It's a lovely hat, although in need of minor TLC with a brush, and for me a radical rebash from its current cattleman style. The felt, fortunately is not at all stiff, so I am hopeful that with trial and error (and error), I may get it right.

Meanwhile, it is amusing that 3 of 4 of the Bulgarian Borsalinos have fallen to Fedora Lounge new-in-towners. I am, for one, very grateful to the the site's regulars, and have learned a lot from the archives here.

Thanks to you all for so generously sharing your knowledge, wisdom, enthusiasm and experience.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Looking forward to the photos, Aldus. Now let's see, if 9 more Loungers express their interest in your photos, and you thank each one of us, I think that get's you to the magic 15 posts...;)

Cheers,
Jimmy

Wayfarer

New in Town
Aldus

I find it amusing too, I just hope its amusing and not ignorance on my part. I gues I will know in 2-3 weeks.

Good luck with your purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails