Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not much selling on Ebay??

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I
. . . 'til about 2007/8 I was averaging about $25 a suit … then I couldn't afford to buy suddenly as they shot up to $250 - online and bricks and mortar. Ludicrous.
bk

This has been my experience. As a general rule of thumb, I won't pay more than $60 or $70 for a vintage suit, and $30 for vintage slacks or shirts, unless the item is really exceptional. Because of this, I haven't purchased clothes on ebay in the last 4 years simply because the limits to what I am willing to spend are quickly surpassed.

Prices have really dropped on staple items such as vintage slacks, gab sport shirts, coats and etc. The really cool stuff like gaucho pullovers, anything palm beach, and such are still as expensive as ever.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I'm seeing a lot of nice suits on UK eBay at the minute.... all about one size too small, or - that old bugbear - my size exactly, but about 2" short in the trews without sufficient leftover to let them down. Boo.

I'm always irritated by this, especially on de-mob suits. Perfect chest and waist sizes - it's when I reach the inside leg measurements of 26" that I sigh and have to move onto the next auction.

Marcus

A-List Customer
I tried to sell a suit on ebay. It was priced at $100 and it never got a single bid. Thats when I realized that suits like this just were not selling for that price and very few were even listed :/

I think that its a shame how bad our economy has gotten. But I can understand sellers not wanting to let stuff go for dirt cheap. But something is better than nothing. I might have to relist mine and try again at a lower price point.

Do you have the photo still? I may have been watching that one and I just didn't get to a computer in time to bid. I remember a suit for $100 going without a single bid. I thought it was weird and hoping it may pop up again.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Well, the suit I got off the UK eBay for £34 doesn't fit, so it's either going back up or to someone here. Very dissapointed, but it's the real risk with buying off ebay.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Bad luck, Nick. It's very touch and go - a weeks ago I bought some late '30s casual trousers, branded as 32" waist - when they arrived they were closer to 30" than anything else. They're going to be a pattern for some more custom trousers from Magnoli, methinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21