Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
I do not have any pairs myself (they've all been too short for me), but I have seen them in my travels. Here are a few photos for reference:

47b7df38b3127cce813b89e8d60100000016108AatmbRq2ctP

I'm lucky enough to have several pairs of these, plus some navy seamed ones, and several other unusual varieties. Bobby from Boston (in...Boston) sells vintage stockings for $5 a pair and if you look in all the boxes can find some really nice, unusual pairs.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Illusion of back seamed stockings?

I am going with my friend to a party, and we are both dressing up in 1920's wear, I don't normally wear stockings cause I don't find them that comfortable. My friend told you could draw a line with eye pencil up the back of your leg and have it look like you are wearing stockings. Can this be done, has anyone ever tried it?

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I did this for a dance where I had the feeling something bad would happen to a pair of stockings by the end of it. :)eek: a run) I penciled it in with a light grey eyeliner. I thought it looked good. Although a few cheeky gentlemen felt the need to try and touch my legs and asked "What is that *@&! on the back of your leg?" :rage:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
During WWII, when nylon and silk stockings were very hard to come by, women would apply leg makeup and draw seams up the back of their legs.

You can recreate the look today by applying foundation in a shade several shades darker then you natural skintone, powder over it, and spray with hair spray to set. Have a friend help you draw the seam with an eye pencil and there you have it :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
During WWII, when nylon and silk stockings were very hard to come by, women would apply leg makeup and draw seams up the back of their legs.

You can recreate the look today by applying foundation in a shade several shades darker then you natural skintone, powder over it, and spray with hair spray to set. Have a friend help you draw the seam with an eye pencil and there you have it :)

Thanks for the tip Jitterbug!!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Sally Hansen has a line of spray on leg makeups, I haven't tried them, so I can't say how well they do, but you may want to try it, I've also heard of women using pens to draw on seams.
Just check every so often to make sure your seams don't smudge:eek:
And be sure to tell us how it goes, have a great time at the party!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just make sure they're drawn on straight -- a crooked drawn-on seam is a lot harder to straighten than a real one!

For added authenticity, don't forget to draw the stocking heel emerging from the back of the shoe, as seen here --

oxford.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Sally Hansen has a line of spray on leg makeups

I've tried them and they work fairly well, though they smudge like the dickens and still take a bit of practice to blend.

A friend of mine taught me the method I described above; her 'stockings' looked so real I didn't know she had drawn them on until she pointed them out :)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I've tried them and they work fairly well, though they smudge like the dickens and still take a bit of practice to blend.

Darn! they looked so promising:(
Thanks for the heads up Jitterbug!:)

As far as painted on fishnets....
maybe someone could find/or make a stencil[huh]

MissHuff

A-List Customer
CanadaDoll said:
Darn! they looked so promising:(
Thanks for the heads up Jitterbug!:)

As far as painted on fishnets....
maybe someone could find/or make a stencil[huh]

I guess you could make reverse effect fishnets with the leg spray by putting on fishnets and then spray and take 'em off lol.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I can't wait to try the faux stocking method suggested by Jitterbugdoll! I am going to try it first on a day when I am sticking at home and don't have to go anywhere just to make sure I can get it down. I am going to have to pick up some cheaper make up and hairspray to try it out. And I do wonder what color of eyeliner would look the most natural... taupe or some kind of medium or light brown?

The idea really sounds great to me because I am so bad at getting "potatoes" in my hoisery!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
A stocking Question

Hi ladies!

I'm sorry if this is redundant, but I couldn't find anything.

So my question has a bit of a background, I went to a place in town looking for beige stockings with black back seams, and she said she had them:eek: :D (It's hard to find nice stockings here sometimes), but I guess she didn't hear the black back seam part, and when I opened them I found beige, with beige seams:(
So I'm wondering, would I be okay if I took a black sharpie to the seam, and coloured it, or would I damage the stockings? If I painted a line of dye on them perhaps?

Any tips would be great.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ummm....

Cant you just return them? They are not what you asked her for, so you have a right to.

As far as the sharpie on the seam...dude, really. Id be worried about the sharpie running. Stockings are nothing but a loose woven fabric, the ink will bleed in the weave and could run real bad.

Just return em', youll be happier :)

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Their policy is no returns after opening, I was really disappointed:(
They apparently do have them, but I guess she grabbed the wrong ones.:mad:

I was afraid of it running, so I thought I'd ask, I guess now I have a pair of subtle seams!lol
Thanks for the help!:)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Beige on beige can be a very nice look. But can I just mention how lucky you are to have a shop nearby that carries both contrast and non-contrast seamed stockings? :eusa_clap

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Polka Dot said:
Beige on beige can be a very nice look. But can I just mention how lucky you are to have a shop nearby that carries both contrast and non-contrast seamed stockings? :eusa_clap

I am lucky, it took me three months to track down a place with seamed stockings in something other than black on black! I was ecstatic!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Lady Day said:

Sorry Lady Day, I didn't write that as well as I could have:eek:

What I mean to say is that they do carry stockings in black on beige, but when I looked, they didn't have them on the shelf, so the sales lady checked the stockroom, and had what she thought were black seamed beiges there and brought them out to me. I didn't see the seam color 'till I took them out of the package.
I just can't afford another pair right now, so I had hoped a waterproof pen or something could be a quick fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy