Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

PS

A-List Customer
BonnieJean,

Are there any in particular that you recommend? I've really come to trust you!!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, PS, for your confidence in me, but its been mostly trial and error.
If you're looking for new FF seamed stockings, I'd recommend Magnolia Hosiery. I can't put a direct link here because the website is a little racy and that's not allowed here, but you can find it easily enough by Googling it. Their basic FF seamed stockings run about $12.95 a pair. They are produced on the same machines that used to make a lot of the stockings in the 50s. Their sizes are S, M, and L. I'm 5'4" and I will wear their Medium. I did try their Small once because the last bunch of Mediums I got they were a little long. Don't get the Opera length because they are really long (unless you like them coming all the way up to the tippy top of your thighs) I discovered that he's one of the manufacturers for Crepe Suzette. They sell all sorts of lingerie and stockings. I had noticed that their style number was the same as the Magnolia ones and doing a little research I found out they were the same. Only Crepe Suzette charges more for the same stockings. The Magnolia stockings are pretty good for daily wear, just be sure to wash them with Hosiery Mate or something similar after you wear them. I admit I'm not always good about washing that night after I wear them, but I made a little drawstring bag that I put the dirty stockings in and I try to wash them every few days.

Another place for stockings is eBay, because sometimes you can get several pairs for about the same price as 2 pairs of Magnolia ones. But you have to be good at it, because there seems to be a lot of people bidding on seamed stockings these days. There are other places online to purchase seamed stockings that some of the gals here prefer, but sometimes they're higher priced. It all depends on what you want to spend. I've seen stockings for $70 a pair and I just can't rationalize spending that type of money.

I've also found stockings, usually never worn and in their original boxes, at antique shops for a good price. I think my last antique shop purchase I found 3 pairs in a box for $5 and that was a really good bargain. My best bargain was 2 pairs of seamed stockings at a Goodwill thrift store for $1.25 a pair. I was very excited when I got those!

The one thing that I have noticed with all my FF seamed stockings, whether they were newly-made ones (like the Magnolias or other brand online) or the vintage ones is that they hold up a whole lot better than pantyhose. I've had something scratch my leg and if I had been wearing pantyhose, it would of snagged right away. But nylon stockings take a little more beating. They're not made of iron and you have to be aware of things, but they don't snag as quickly as pantyhose.

And vintage stockings wear even better than the new ones. I don't know if its how they were made or what. Note: if you purchase vintage stockings, wash them in the Hosiery Mate stuff before you wear them. It will strengthen the older fabric. I put on a new/old pair of stockings and they ran as I put them on. The older fabric is weaker from age and needs that "boost"/protection that the Hosiery Mate gives. I found the Hosiery Mate at a JC Penney store, but I've seen in online and at other dept. stores. I even found a new bottle at a thrift store once.

And somewhere on here (and I've Googled it before) is a chart that gives sizes for vintage stockings and how you can find the size to fit you.

I store my stockings in photo boxes. The ones that have a place to slip in a tag in front. Then I printed out with Art Deco lettering/font, "Brown", "Black" and "Assorted" with my computer and cut the paper to fit in the slot on the boxes. You can also make a cloth stocking holder too. I made one and use it when I travel, but I prefer the boxes here at home. The photo boxes come in all sorts of colors/prints and hold a lot of stockings. There are other ways to store them, but I usually just do the box method and rummage through when I need a pair. I'm a bit lazy in that dept.lol

Sorry to be so long-winded, but can you tell that stockings are a passion with me? I'd be glad to answer any other questions and I'm sure the other gals here on the Lounge would be helpful too!
Happy stocking hunting!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
goldwyn girl said:
Do any of you ladies wear seamed fish net stockings and if so where do you get them from ?

They're not FF, but I do wear the Victoria's Secret seamed fishnet stockings. The quality is quite good, they last awhile and they make a fine mesh one that doesn't lose it's shape and bag around the ankles. I've been quite pleased with mine!

Nashoba

One Too Many
if any of y'all havn't already checked out stocking showcase (google them, not sure if I should post the link so I'm going to err on the side of caution here). They're customer service was incredible, and I was really impressed with everything I've bought there. I bought another pair of stockings from a different company at the same time and I put runs in those the first time I wore them. The stockings I bought from showcase are still going strong (for the record, I'm hard on stockings).
I just loved them, Ithought I'd share!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
A lot of ladies recommend Hosiery Mate, which is indeed a fine product. I use one called Forever New that I have always been very pleased with. I use it for washing other delicates as well, such as slips and tap pants. Forever New makes a good stain remover as well.

I don't think I ever mentioned this. A month or so ago I had rinsed a few pair of vintage stockings in hoisery mate. I have worn one of those pairs 3times now and they are still going strong! This is the same pair I had on when I fell on the stairs when my shoes broke! Hoisery mate is my new favorite product!

BonnieJean

Practically Family

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
missjoeri said:
Including cotton and silk seamed stockings?
For pre 1945 events I cant use nylons :(

I got a slew (5 pairs) of cotton/silk blend FFs from one of my fave costume/vintage stores. They were mixed in with the 'costume' hose. I got them for $6 a pair! Squeeee!!! I dyed one black (they were all tan). Very comfy :)

LD

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I got a slew (5 pairs) of cotton/silk blend FFs from one of my fave costume/vintage stores. They were mixed in with the 'costume' hose. I got them for $6 a pair! Squeeee!!! I dyed one black (they were all tan). Very comfy

Sounds like quite a find, Lady Day! No doubt they're warm enough for winter wear too.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Sounds like quite a find, Lady Day! No doubt they're warm enough for winter wear too.

I would love to find vintage silk stockings. I was beginning to think that they had all fallen apart, much like the vintage silk dresses I find that are disintegrating on the hanger. I will keep looking now that I know you girls have found them.:D

Miss Brill

One Too Many
These are the only real stockings I have, and I've never taken them out of the paper. There are 4 pairs & I got them about 20 years ago:
953325337_d93a30bae9_b.jpg

On Flickr, this scan has been looked at over 700 times:
953325279_1152535943_b.jpg

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
carpecaligo said:
I buy mine at Macys.
I've never known a Department Store's hosery section not to have the ones with seams up the back, although they aren't in the same quantity as the rest and sometimes you have to ask a salesperson where they are.
The Cuban and French heels are a little harder to find - but you've recieved a number of websites for those already.

I work at Macy's and they don't stock a SINGLE pair of seamed stockings or hose. In fact, no on in the entire mall does. But, this is Ohio.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:
That's a good price, but they're stretch seamed stockings and I prefer the FF seamed nylons. The "non-stretchy" stockings wear a lot longer than stretchy ones and the seams will stay in place better too. But that's just IMHO [huh]

But the stretch ones are usually more silky smooth to touch, which I love. There is a great stocking glossary here, as a total stocking nerd I find it incredibly useful.

Miss Brill, I sure do understand why that scan has been viewed 700 times... It's delicious, especially for those of us who are stocking-fetishists.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
NoirDame said:
I work at Macy's and they don't stock a SINGLE pair of seamed stockings or hose. In fact, no on in the entire mall does. But, this is Ohio.

You don't have a Victoria's Secret?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
But the stretch ones are usually more silky smooth to touch, which I love.

I've always found the opposite. I think the non-stretch ones feel much finer and silkier!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pennyseranade said:
I would love to find vintage silk stockings. I was beginning to think that they had all fallen apart, much like the vintage silk dresses I find that are disintegrating on the hanger. I will keep looking now that I know you girls have found them.:D

Check Ebay. I see them there frequently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran